PDA

View Full Version : .410 for my daughter

longshot
10-26-2008, 08:29 PM
For 6 years now, my 14 year old son and i have hunted waterfowl on the island. He has hunted 6 years and 5 years now with the gun. I started him off not with a .410, not with a 20 gauge, but with my big old heavy 12 guage double barrel that he could barely aim. (The same way I was Raised :razz:) Took him a while to get used too. Now he shoots up to 3-1/2 mags in his 870.

Now my 11 year old daughter has been coming with us lately and wants to shoot. But this round i don't think a 12 guage wouldn't fit her. Mainly because she would be laying on her butt after one shot, and its quite heavy and big for her. I was thinking of getting .410 for her. Something like a small double barrel. The question is, which one? Would want a new one. Anyone know about .410's? Even manufacturers names would be GREAT.

Longshot

todbartell
10-26-2008, 08:45 PM
can you get non toxic shot for 410? I would look at a trim 20 gauge myself

longshot
10-26-2008, 08:49 PM
I have seen a few kids shooting 410's around. and have seen some shells laying around. So they must (hopefully) have steel shot.

todbartell
10-26-2008, 09:24 PM
a quick view of Federal, Remington, Winchester & Hevishot's websites show no 410 ammo that is made with anything but lead.

PGK
10-26-2008, 09:30 PM
http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-WEX4103S

Not sure if you can get it in Canada

blindman
10-27-2008, 09:26 AM
I too would suggest that you consider buying your daughter a 20 gauge instead of a .410 shotgun. If she needs a youth size to start with, it would be much easier to sell and upgrade to something larger than trying to find a buyer for a .410. The ammunition costs and availability are something else to think about. I also see the problem of handicapping her with a gun that won't be as lethal for waterfowl hunting.

Dano
10-27-2008, 05:33 PM
I too would suggest that you consider buying your daughter a 20 gauge instead of a .410 shotgun. If she needs a youth size to start with, it would be much easier to sell and upgrade to something larger than trying to find a buyer for a .410. The ammunition costs and availability are something else to think about. I also see the problem of handicapping her with a gun that won't be as lethal for waterfowl hunting.

I have to agree with Bllindman including the "less lethal" part. By that I mean less pattern density and an inexperienced shooter would be at a disadvantage.
My first gun was a 20 ga. pump even though I had shot my dad's 12 guage 870 with no problems. I only used the 20 for a couple years and then traded dad most of the time because I found the 20 didn't fit me.
I recommend either a 20ga. auto or a 12 guage auto cut down to fit. I would lean towards the 12 ga cut down as there isn't the possibility of a shell mix up with other guns. I did it once but my dad caught it before I took a shot. A lesson I have never forgotten and think of often. The 12 could also be loaded down if need be (1 oz, 2 3/4" shells).
Good luck,
Dan

fowl language
10-27-2008, 05:46 PM
after a few years of taking kids out for heritage days i would suggest that you look for a 20 ga.auto. we have had our best success with this gun as its not heavy and has minimal recoil which is very important.a 410 doesnt have much of a pay load for birds with heavy plummage.....fowl

longshot
10-28-2008, 06:53 PM
I think i am going to go with the 20 Ga. for my daughter. The guys from reliable in vancouver are going to order one for me. I think a 20 is better than a 410 after what you guys said and some research. Plus I think you guys are right, can't find any steel shot. I think it will be a good gun for her.

Thanks for all the help guys! much appreciated.

Longshot