PDA

View Full Version : Shot Shells and Garbage

zogg54
10-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Today I went to the Pitt Marsh for the first time. I quickly realized I need a boat to do any hunting.
I did manage however, to get a lot of garbage picked up from the boat put in spot. Lots of empty shot shells, some subway wrappers, and an empty Remington high-speed shot shell box. Looks like someone just kicked it out of their truck. This really pisses me off. When they shut down the Marsh because of the "stupid redneck hunters" that can't clean up after themselves, I for one will not be surprised. I'll be disappointed but certainly not surprised. For the guy who recognizes this garbage as his own maybe you could man up and admit it, and then do something to make up for it. For all those who walked by the garbage without a thought to pick it up maybe you could think a little bit as to how this makes us all look in the eyes of the non hunting public.

Duck Buster
10-25-2008, 05:09 PM
We have the same problems here on the Island. I put a post up about a week ago addressing the same thing. We all need to be pro-active when it comes to garbage, especially things like empty shells and box's which obviously come from hunters. These things are the tools that the anti hunters will use to shut us down. They may sit there and through there McDonalds junk on the ground right beside an empty shell, but they will quickly point out all the garbage left by hunters. Everyone needs to carry a bag and clean up all the mess's that you find.

Steeleco
10-25-2008, 05:20 PM
There's a bunch of us heading to a local shooting pit to do some cleaning. Trouble is, if these PIGS of all user types have no morals in the first place, all the cleaning we do won't alter their attitudes.

I often joke, if I collected the empties on the side of the road during the season, it might pay for a tank of gas!!

longshot
10-25-2008, 05:25 PM
Haven't been down to cowichan bay this year yet but hopefully it's cleaner last year. Some hunters are making people give us a really bad look towards hunting. Not to good.
Pick up your shells and your garbage. Not hard! My son and I last year picked up over a box of empty shells every time we were there. If we look at our selves as clean hunters, then the local people will also think of us as clean hunters.

Dano
10-25-2008, 08:12 PM
What launch were you at? There were 5 vehicles where I put in and I didn't see any shells etc. at our put in spot. We do on occasion see debris from someones home renovation get dumped out at our spot.
Thanks for cleaning it up, I would bet it was from some guys who flip their boat or canoe to put it on a rack or canopy and either didn't notice it dump out or were too lazy to pick it up.
This is a public hunting spot, you have all kinds using it and like all public places, a few guys can sure make everyone look bad. I'm sure you'll find for the most part, the Pitt is a great place to hunt and the guys who hunt there regularily are ethical and respectful of the environment and other hunters.
Dan
P.S. To hunt the marsh properly, you will need a boat, decoys, and I recommend a dog. The marsh grass/thickets are thick and any bird that doesn't drop in the water is pretty much lost without a dog to root them out. Maddy (my black lab) earned her keep today. We would have lost some birds that fell in the hardhack today if it hadn't been for her!

HuntNHookSports
10-25-2008, 08:54 PM
There is so much garbage in Cow Bay in general I am surprised it is not full of bears. The tide and wind carries garbage from all over and it ends up in the shallow bays. I have come across dock floats of all types, toys, bottles, 45 gallon barrels, tires, shoes (didn't check for feet) and even epidermic needles. Yesterday there were 2 large animal carcasses that washed ashore. I am always looking for a treasure like a glass float or a new tooth brush. You'll be happy to know we did our part and took out 7 mallards yesterday.

PGK
10-25-2008, 09:11 PM
There's a bunch of us heading to a local shooting pit to do some cleaning. Trouble is, if these PIGS of all user types have no morals in the first place, all the cleaning we do won't alter their attitudes.

I often joke, if I collected the empties on the side of the road during the season, it might pay for a tank of gas!!

Pretty close steely, pretty close. I carry a milk crate in the back of my pickup and I fill it every 2 trips out, and I only pick up the cans I can open my door and grab without getting out of the truck. 30 cans x 5 cents = $1.50 every couple trips out. Pays for coffee.

Wouldn't mind paying for my own coffee though.

kgs
10-25-2008, 09:37 PM
I totally agree Zoog54 and good on you for picking up that garbage.

Marc
10-25-2008, 09:39 PM
I picked up about a dozen hulls in cow bay last week where I'm guessing someone collected them and just dumped them. They couldn't have been hunting there as it wasn't legal to hunt where I found them.

pete_k
10-25-2008, 10:10 PM
Most hunters are good. But every year the back roads re-littered with empties and empty beer cases. If I'm driving slow enough or road hunting, I'll stop and pick up the garbage.