PDA

View Full Version : questions

Legi0n
10-20-2008, 09:08 AM
Given my previous geographic location I've never gone fowling.
Things have changed though and I'd like to give it a try.
Now, something's unclear to me: can I shoot at a sitting or floating duck?
Do hunting shops carry migratory licences?

thanks

Ian F.
10-20-2008, 11:38 AM
Shooting a sitting duck is not illegal. Some people look down on those who do it, but it is not illegal.

You need a hunting license (from sporting goods store) AND a migratory bird license (from the post office, go to the proper ones as most outlets don't carry them lately)

Have fun!

Oh, and only STEEL shot these days..

IAN

jethro
10-20-2008, 01:04 PM
While shooting a sitting duck is not illegal, I personally don't feel it is in the spirit of "fair chase". It is also not as easy as it seems. I have shot at several cripples on the water, and have found that usually the shot gets deflected by the water. If you must shoot a cripple on the water, I suggest aiming a little higher than normal to keep the pattern above the water.

I often have birds land in my decoys, but rather than ground pound them I prefer to sit very still and watch the ducks and how they respond to the dekes. If you are patient, the sitting duck will often call more birds into your spread. I found that a live bird is way better at calling in ducks than I am.

If you must shoot a sitting bird I suggest standing up quickly to flush the bird. Then you can shoot it on the wing and you will have a better chance of dropping it than if you try to pound it on the water.

Maestro
10-20-2008, 05:14 PM
But is it legal to shoot wounded bird at the water ?

Legi0n
10-20-2008, 07:12 PM
thanks guys

Now I just need to find a longer Mossberg barrel threaded for chokes.

Dano
10-20-2008, 07:39 PM
You'll need the Fraser Valley Special area license too. $10 and you get that at hunting stores. You'll need to show you have 1 million liability insurance, your BCWF card is good enough if you are an up to date member.
Dan

Ian F.
10-20-2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks Dano, totally forgot about the fraser valley license!

Jethro,

If you aim high you'll more then likely miss. You see shot guns are set up with 60 to 70% of their pattern above center, built in lead if you will. Shoot high reduces your odds considerably! Remember, the eating part of a duck is under the water when you are shooting cripples.

Very best,

Ian

Marc
10-20-2008, 09:34 PM
I find that you have a lot better chance at hitting a duck in the air then it sitting on the water. Half of its body is underwater and when flying they open their wings making their vitals easier to hit or break a wing. You'll miss or criple more shooting on the water then you will on the wing. To do either or is up to you as both methods are legal. Remember keep the shots in 40 yards and non toxic shot is the name of the game when it comes to waterfowl.