PDA

View Full Version : storing jerky

LUCKY
10-18-2008, 05:22 PM
Just made my first batch of jerky. Worked out great!
What is the best way to store it? Short term and long term?

I figure short term in a ziplock in the fridge should be good for at least a week (if it lasts that long)
I would like to put some away to take out for weekend hunting and fishing trips. Vacuum seal and freeze?

Thanks,
LUCKY

Monashee
10-18-2008, 06:09 PM
Jerky will keep for at least several months if kept dry .

The problem is that it gets eaten too fast.

Kind of sad watching 10 lbs of prime roast get reduced to less than 1 lb of jerky and you can eat that in just a few days - less in the play-offs. DANG

M.Dean
10-18-2008, 07:11 PM
Vacuum seal and freeze, then wrap it in old freezer paper, mark it "Rutting Buck Burger" or "Buck Scent Glands" and store in the very bottom of the freezer, place any old freezer burnt meat over top, a 3 yr old salmon also works!! It should keep for a good week before the kids find it!!!

newhunterette
10-20-2008, 03:26 PM
I like M.Dean's solution

put it in brown paper bags to keep it dry and then in a ziplock in the fridge - or storing in the freezer if you ever have any to make it there in good vacuum sealed bags

the key is keeping the jerky dry so it wont go moldy from moisture

Leaseman
10-20-2008, 03:32 PM
never heard of anyone having any long enough to wonder how to store it.....!!

For me, I use an old metal cookie tin with a sheet of paper towel lining the bottom..... it is great to the last bite (forgotten it a few times in its "camo" appearance and 6-8 weeks later, still fresh!)

Good luck on trying to keep it around!

Mike

brotherjack
10-20-2008, 04:47 PM
I put all my jerky products in my stomach just as soon as possible after it comes out of the dehydrator.

:)

LUCKY
10-20-2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I'll have to make some more and try storing it. Your responses were not quick enough and I ate it. :roll:
I would like to put some away for an up coming hunting trip.

LUCKY

Allen50
10-20-2008, 11:14 PM
lol i like M.Dean way to store jerky,, to funny,,, now the proper way to store jerky is not to vacuum seal it at all, if you do it can not dry propre, the dryer the better, best way to store it is in a dry glass jar with a tight sealing lid, or a very good Ziploc Bag, not a cheep one, that way you can keep it at room temp for about 3 weeks, 4 month's in fridge, or up to 8 months in the freezer, under M.Dean' old fish, lol,, well i looked this up in my butcher book today as i'm in the middle of making Buffalo jerky as well so was checking the book just to remind myself on how long it keeps,, but don't vacuum seal it,,,will keep moist, and not dry proper,,, if you look in the store you will see none of the store bought is vacuum sealed, well good luck on the jerky making,,,

Mr. Dean
10-21-2008, 01:37 AM
I made some ~3 weeks ago. I hid the stuff some damned deep,,,, I now can't find it!

I had grandeur notions of takin' some along for The Trip. Woe stupid me!

sbtennex
11-08-2008, 08:21 PM
If you used a proper amount of cure, it keeps great in a sealer jar with a plastic perforated lid. I put it in the fridge cause it smells so good but on the counter it'll keep for as long as jerky on the counter typically lasts - as fast as it can be eaten.

Steeleco
11-08-2008, 08:39 PM
I keep mine in an old Mayo jar. Last for weeks if I hide it!!

Kind of sad watching 10 lbs of prime roast get reduced to less than 1 lb of jerky and you can eat that in just a few days - less in the play-offs. DANG

Ever thought about making it from ground? Elkhound introduced me to a Jerky press. Delicious stuff, the roast stays a roast, a lot more ground becomes Jerky!!

M.Dean
11-09-2008, 06:17 AM
My son met a Security Contractor in Africa a while back, he's in Iraq right now and e-mailed my son, he said he remembered talking about Jerky over there and wondered if my son's dad, Me, had any? So, i left the shipping details to T and off it went! The guy messaged back last week and said they were chewing on Jerky from B.C. and driving around in there Armored Truck!!! That has to be a first for me and my Jerky!!!

todbartell
11-09-2008, 01:30 PM
ziploc in fridge for snacks, vacum seal for long term (which usually isnt that long!)

goatdancer
11-09-2008, 03:17 PM
You could always bring it to my house and I'll store it for you...:wink::wink::wink:

goatdancer
11-09-2008, 03:26 PM
"Ever thought about making it from ground? Elkhound introduced me to a Jerky press. Delicious stuff, the roast stays a roast, a lot more ground becomes Jerky!!"

I've been doing that for quite a while now. You can even mix game with beef if you want. Found a rather large jerky press at Princess Auto. About $20. Works a lot quicker than the little plastic ones you get in the 'Jerky Kit'. I find it easier to use ground meat rather than try to make perfect slices out of whole meat. The key is to get the cure from a butcher and find out how much to use per pound. Then blend your own spices instead of using those packaged kits. Saves a lot of money. I usually stick it in the smoker for a little while to give it some additional flavour before the dehydrater. Anyone want to swap some spice recipes?