PDA

View Full Version : I was going duck hunting this morning?!?

Marc
10-18-2008, 06:48 AM
I got to the launch this morning, Pull everything out of the back of the truck, Marshall is already up to his armpits in water getting excited about the boat ride ahead and the hunt. I pull the boat out of the back of the truck and lay it into the water,I reached over to make sure the plug was tight. Hmm? where is the plug?!? I thought about it last night before I went to bed, "did I check to make sure the plug was in before I loaded the boat?" The boat is loaded back first so I would have to pull everything out to check.

My plan was to have a quick look around the garage to see if I had removed it. Even if I had done that this morning it wouldn't have mattered because I spent about 10 minutes when I got home looking around and found nothing. I'm going to grab some shut eye, get back up and do another search for the plug and try and do an afternoon hunt. Might have to figure a way to tether the plug to the boat.

Man I was pissed, bad enough getting up with little to no sleep but to pack everything up and head out to find out you've forgotten something as important and simple as the boat plug. :oops:

Brambles
10-18-2008, 06:50 AM
couldn't you have found something to stuff in the hole? Come on man, Improvise

BearSniper
10-18-2008, 06:52 AM
oooooops:shock:

Yes, that would piss a guy off.

But hey, you're only human.

You may have to do a trip to the boat shop. Maybe buy 2 so you have a spare.

I hope the ducks wait for you.:-P

Marc
10-18-2008, 07:01 AM
couldn't you have found something to stuff in the hole? Come on man, Improvise

I'm about a km away from where I hunt from the boat launch, water is over 100 feet deep in spots. Didn't want to take the chance of the stick or what ever coming out me, the dog and all my gear going down in the dark. Unfortunately the little 2 hp on the back wouldn't push us fast enough to keep the water out:mrgreen:. The plug goes in from the outside and once on the water you can't see it or get to it as it's under water.

I'm thinking of picking up a few spares and keeping one in my hunting jacket. Just to rushed this morning and not paying attention.

Brambles
10-18-2008, 07:06 AM
wrap some electrical tape around a shotgun shell, then hammer it in place, very gently hammer it of course:tongue:

Your a Navy man, your use to being underwater:shock::smile::tongue:

Sitkaspruce
10-18-2008, 08:13 AM
Pick up a couple pf spares and tie one to the boat with P cord. It will always be there and no more searching, especially in the wee morning hours.

Good luck this afternoon

Cheers

SS

BCrams
10-18-2008, 08:22 AM
Similar thing happened to me with the aluminum boat for a duck hunt.

Left the plug at home.

A knife and stick.......some quick whittling and I hammered it in very tight and I was good to go! Left a couple mm's all around so it would go in tight several a couple inches. The water will cause it to expand. I darned near had to use a drill to get it out afterwards.

Elkhound
10-18-2008, 11:59 AM
too bad Marc. Spares would be a good idea. I remember a few boats on the coast getting a little wet from no plugs. LOL

Caveman
10-18-2008, 01:33 PM
wrap some electrical tape around a shotgun shell, then hammer it in place, very gently hammer it of course:tongue::shock::smile::tongue:

I would like to see trying this!!!!

Marc
10-18-2008, 03:09 PM
Well spent the day cleaning out the garage, didn't find it anywhere. When down stairs cleaned up my loading area, not there. Went into my hunting closet and dug around there still couldn't find it. I figure I'm just going to have to go and buy a new one. Being paranoid of leaving the truck parked in a parking lot with my new duck boat with all my gear in the back I decided to unload it all in my garage. So out comes the decoy bags and gear.

I unload the boat in the garage and just to amuse myself I decide to take one last look in the daylight to make sure it wasn't in the boat. I move the seat and the paddle and sure as shit there it is sitting in the bottom of the boat.:confused: So It was in the floor of the boat this whole time and all I really had to do is look a little harder.

Oh well the garage is looking a lot cleaner and I'll be heading to the marsh tomorrow knowing the plug is now in place and everything is loaded up ready to go!

Steeleco
10-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Mine is strapped to the transom, just like the old sink plugs used to be attached to the sink. Live and learn, I'll bet the Pup was just a peeved at his master as the master was at himself!!

Islandeer
11-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Too funny!! Sounds like something That I HAVE done ... :confused: