PDA

View Full Version : Twin Otter Crash at Muncho Lst Yr

Rock Doctor
10-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Posted almost 1 yr after the crash.
I'm thinking that the tape was confiscated as evidence for that time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0DEb0M6wt4

bruin
10-16-2008, 09:59 PM
That'll be something to think about next sheep season!

bcboy
10-18-2008, 12:25 AM
Geez I flew in that plane twice!!

DropTines
10-18-2008, 01:09 AM
I was in muncho the summer before I think and went for a tour in the float plane called beaver, I think. It was worth it, saw lots of beautiful scenery.
________
Roy Haynes (Designer) (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Roy_Haynes_(designer))

BigBanger
10-18-2008, 03:22 AM
Wow that sucked .

Monashee
02-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Does anyone have a link to the official crash report ?

I am not a pilot but the "runway" looked short. My armchair analysis is that the plane didn't have enough airspeed and he initiated a turn just at takeoff lost altitude and crashed

landphil
02-22-2011, 09:31 PM
I don't remember hearing about this one, was everyone OK?

stoneguide
02-22-2011, 09:52 PM
Definatly not an expert but have flow off a pile of short strips and looks like when he turned to head down the highway to pick up a little air speed to climb he tipped his wing a touch much and tapped the tipp on the ground.
My old camp we used to use the river the same when loaded heavy with moose quarters. Couldnt get enough lift to clear the trees so we used to turn down the river to get some air speed.
Again no expert just my opinion.
SG

hillclimber
02-22-2011, 09:52 PM
since when were you aloud to take off on the highway?:tongue: shitty deal for sure. hope everyone was ok

stoneguide
02-22-2011, 09:55 PM
since when were you aloud to take off on the highway?:tongue: shitty deal for sure. hope everyone was ok

The strip is beside the highway.

hillclimber
02-22-2011, 10:18 PM
Yes I did notice that but still if you look at his takeoff if there would be a vehicle coming there would be a collision. Doesn't look like the best place for a airstrip but eh, I know next to nothing about planes.

Lone Ranger
02-22-2011, 10:29 PM
I remember seeing that strip when I was up there a few years ago. Never got to see any planes land/take off from it but did note how short it was. Definitely a difficult one for sure. LR

stoneguide
02-22-2011, 10:32 PM
Think they would play it safe and use one of the longer strips along the highway.
SG

kootenayelkslayer
02-22-2011, 10:39 PM
That'll be something to think about next sheep season!

A friendly reminder of the most dangerous part of our job!

Bowzone_Mikey
02-22-2011, 11:52 PM
Twotters are extremly short takeoff and landing aircraft ... that strip is plenty long enough, I have been into that strip in a 337 (I Effin love Skymasters) and a Navajo... if a Navajo can do it a Twotter can do it twice (almost;) )

I seem to recall conversations around the web .. Might even have been on this forum as well .... that rumour mill had it pegged as pilot error and landing flap was not retracted for takeoff ...whether it be mechanical error ... pilot error I dont recall ... but in the vid its said you can see a flap down.

Rock Doctor
02-23-2011, 12:07 AM
Overloaded and taking off from a Helicopter pad. He was allowed to park his plane there empty, but was supposed to move it to the real strip for loaded trips. Pilot had to turn there at the end to avoid the high tensile steel wire running along the other side of the highway.
No everyone was not OK, One death and some other minor injuries. Urses wife ann kid were on this flight. US tourist never made it.

That Twin could be up and away at the point where the access road crosses, right where he first tries to lift off. Unfortunatly he was VERY heavy on this attempt.

stoneguide
02-23-2011, 07:42 AM
Where does he normaly fly it off ? The strip at the south(?) end of the lake?
SG

bcyukonair
02-23-2011, 11:32 AM
i understand from talking to co-pilot right engine had not been developing full power for some time. they normally take off from the strip to the south with a big load.

stoneguide
02-23-2011, 12:18 PM
Wasnt there also a beaver or an otter crashed in 2008(I think) on the high ridge between the Tuchodi and Chiska. I saw the tracks and such but only heard some resident hunters crashed on their second landing. Didnt really hear any details or how bad. Just though someone here may have heard about it.
SG

tankster
02-23-2011, 12:34 PM
was the fall of 1999 i was in a crash while hunting in russia we were flying from kamchatka to a southern town i think it was called shira or somthing. we hit a bump on the grassy airstrip apon take off and it bounced us in the air the pilot thought we had enought speed we could gain alltitude didnt work out as planned. down we came last thing i remember was a bunch of russian words being yelled and waking up on the grassy airstrip... it was quite an experiance the next day we got in this ugly huge helicopter i thought i was for sure doomed.

white moose
02-23-2011, 02:16 PM
Was up working on a the liard river bridge that year. Some of the crew were staying at the lodge when it happened and was quite the shocker around there. We talked about doing some fly-in fishing before, but this rattled everyone. By the way that was an awesome job and i ended up getting a 50 inch bull in august up the highway a ways from the lodge.

Rock Doctor
02-24-2011, 09:34 AM
Where does he normaly fly it off ? The strip at the south(?) end of the lake?
SG

i understand from talking to co-pilot right engine had not been developing full power for some time. they normally take off from the strip to the south with a big load.

bcyukonair is right as far as I know. This "strip" in the clip is closer to his lodge, but it's not really a strip, it's more of a helicopter pad.

RD

stoneguide
02-24-2011, 11:51 AM
bcyukonair is right as far as I know. This "strip" in the clip is closer to his lodge, but it's not really a strip, it's more of a helicopter pad.

RD

Ya I know the area well! Ive probably taken off the strip at the south end of the lake 50+ times in an Aviat Husky. Been on the heli pad the crash occured a few times also.