PDA

View Full Version : So, this is more like it...

brotherjack
09-09-2005, 04:55 PM
Setup in my favourite spot, wind perfect, scent-killer on, etc. Wait a LONG time last night, and starting to think nothing's gonna show up. About half an hour before dark, a doe and fawn come along. I briefly entertain the idea (either-sex arehery in regiion 4), but conclude that I just ain't that kind of hunter. Fawn and mommie pass on by.

About 5 minutes later, here comes a nice fat little 3 point white-tail, moving slow, and stopping at regular intervals to munch. I hold my breath, and ever so slowly bring up the x-bow. I catch him at 15 yards, slightly quarerting away, with his head down, standing still. I hear the thump as the arrow passes clean through, and freeze so he doesn't notice me.

Deer bounds stifly about 15 yards away, and looks back. With a gimpiness to his stride that convinces me my shot was good, he meanders off behind some trees. I can tell by the lack of crashing through the brush that he didn't go far.

I hang out, and start the timer for the search-and-recover mission. Watch a couple more does, and what I'm pretty sure was a trio of 2 and 3 point bucks meander through while I wait (was getting pretty dark by that time).

An hour later when we went to look, there at the end of a blood trail that a blind man could follow in the dark without a flashlight, he was. My shot hit farther to the rear than I would have liked (nicked the gut - ewww), but it did the job perfectly. By the time we found him, he was already stiff and getting cool - so he went down within a few minutes of the shot I'm sure.

Anyhoo... thought I'd share.

Elkhound
09-09-2005, 05:24 PM
You are right. That was more like it. Nice to see you got one, Must feel better. Now where is the pic. after all you went through with deer tell me you got pics.:razz:

brotherjack
09-09-2005, 08:59 PM
You are right. That was more like it. Nice to see you got one, Must feel better. Now where is the pic. after all you went through with deer tell me you got pics.:p

Yeah, I feel much better. And here's the pic (that tore up spot beind the ribs is where something had a bite of him during the hour I waited to go find him - only got a couple of bites though). This guy had a big body for those smallish antlers - I'm 6'1" and stocky for reference...

http://xjack.org/hunting/deer-small.jpg

ruger#1
09-09-2005, 09:07 PM
good show brother i new youd get one,my turn next year i hope. glad to see you stuck with it.

Tank
09-10-2005, 06:13 AM
Nice job! and wow, the yotee's sure got to him quick!

Thunderstix
09-10-2005, 12:05 PM
Right on Bro! He is going to be some good eatin'.

brotherjack
09-10-2005, 01:48 PM
wow, the yotee's sure got to him quick!

Yeah, and they was quiet about it too - I was only about 60 yards away, and I never heard a thing...