PDA

View Full Version : Grouse rice

rishu_pepper
10-14-2008, 09:13 PM
For 4 people:

Ingredients:

3 cups of white rice (adjust for appetite/serving size)
2 grouse breast
some fresh ginger
seasoning for marinade
(optional) dash of whiskey

Preparation:

Marinade grouse breast in seasoning (soy sauce, oil, salt), couple hours will do the trick
Cook rice
Chop a handful of fresh ginger and chuck in rice pot
Before rice is done, chuck grouse into rice pot
Cook until rice + grouse is done
Dash with whiskey if desired
Eat :-D

Below is grouse rice, served with BBQ duck (!?) and fresh cabbage

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/rishu_pepper/DSC03093.jpg

Sideofabarn
10-14-2008, 09:44 PM
Sounds like a neat recipe, I'll have to try it out. Didn't you live in Australia for a while? I got a chuckle out of the "grouse rice" heading. Oh, and props to you for slinging out your finest china and silverware for the feast!

rishu_pepper
10-14-2008, 10:15 PM
When I lived in Aussie (Brisbane) it was 20 years ago, I have very little recollection of what transpired. And no, I don't get the joke (whatever you were referring to..? :D).

Ain't nothing but the best utensils for camp, eh? :lol:

This is so easy to make, even bartell can't screw it up :biggrin:

Sideofabarn
10-14-2008, 10:26 PM
In the eastern states, when something is referred to as "grouse", it means really good. No, I have no idea of its origins. But grouse rice made me chuckle anyway. I was going to ask you for your BBQ duck recipe until I read you'd bought it. I have some ducks that need to be cooked up. I'll have to talk to the HBC den mother and see what she's got.

newhunterette
10-14-2008, 10:28 PM
In the eastern states, when something is referred to as "grouse", it means really good. No, I have no idea of its origins. But grouse rice made me chuckle anyway. I was going to ask you for your BBQ duck recipe until I read you'd bought it. I have some ducks that need to be cooked up. I'll have to talk to the HBC den mother and see what she's got.

Toby, if you had bought an HBC cookbook you would have all kinds of recipes hehehehehe

Brian that really sounds yummy - will have to mark that one down under my grouse heading :)

Sideofabarn
10-14-2008, 10:35 PM
And if you hadn't decided to get sick, maybe I could have sent a cheque down with a clear conscience :razz:

rishu_pepper
10-14-2008, 10:43 PM
Roast duck is THE way to go with Chinese duck. The traditional way is roasted over an open fire for quite some time, but I wouldn't know how to do it (restauranteurs have the wherewithal to do so).

Maybe this will make the HBC cooking 2nd edition? :cool: