PDA

View Full Version : Would you ever use a...

Buck_virgin
10-13-2008, 12:49 PM
I have a floatube and am wondering if anyone uses the to sit in the reeds or anywhere?
Thanks

goatdancer
10-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Might freeze your cahones off if you had to sit in the water too long, even wearing good neoprene waders. Could affect the pitch of your voice.

jethro
10-13-2008, 02:14 PM
I've hunted from my float tube several times. It worked great! If your on a pond you can just back yourself into some bushes or cover and hide really well. You don't need a dog because you can just kick your way over to any downed birds. I've even drifted down the Cowichan river into the estuary in my float tube. I shot birds as they flew up the river, and then turned around and let them drift downstream to me and then just tied them to the boat. It was one of the most exciting hunts I've done!
I found shooting from the float tube to be very comfortable and a lot easier than I thought it would be. Its nice because you can easily turn your self with a kick to swing on birds from any direction. Its like a 360 degree gun turret! You can also keep both hands on the gun so you are always ready for a shot. No dropping the paddles and reaching for your gun like in a canoe or rowboat.
I recommend getting some waterproof ammo cases (I just use tupperware) and don't bring your good gun in case you drop it in the water. I just use a 12g Stoeger single shot. The gun is nice and slim so I can strap it down on the rod holder straps on the boat if I need to.
Try it and I'm sure you will find the float tube is an excellent, versatile and very exiting way to hunt waterfowl.

Dirty
10-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Why not use a pontoon boat? They can be had for the price of a u boat south of the line.

jethro
10-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Personally, I think the float tube is a better option than a pontoon for several reasons.
The float tube gives you a lower profile, making it easier to hide and harder for birds to see you.
You can keep both hands on your gun because you are not using paddles.
If you attach suspenders to the tube you can easily stand up and walk in shallow water or portage.
Buck-virgin also said that he already has a float tube, so why invest more money when he already has a more than aduquate hunting platform at his diposal.
I also never had a problem with getting cold. I use 3.5mm neoprene waders and have never gotten cold out here on the island.

rudar
09-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Bah. Coldest hunt I ever did, Boundary Bay had frozen at low tide and then the tide came in. We waded across the ice that was still stuck to the bottom through the ice that was floated, found a nice dead tree to kneel behind, water up to our waists, ice bouncing off the waders. Just wear a few layers of wool under the waders, and you'll be *fine* :)

(note: only true for very small values of "fine")

6 K
09-12-2009, 03:09 AM
I find the Waterfoul hunting in Kitamat harbour doesn't get real hot till the fresh water is frozen. It is cold, wet I rarely feel my hands, feet and ears.
Then the I pick up that honking in the distance and I swear I am going to get out more next year.
Give it a whirl, you'll love it.
Bring a thermous of your choise of hot drink.

bogtrotter
12-14-2009, 11:40 PM
A friend of mine used a float tube to hunt ducks in the early season. I would watch him from a shore blind and curse my luck. He would use lots of camo netting and dead plants to make himself look like an old stump then just hang out 10 yds. from the decoys. The ducks had no idea until his Auto 5 started barking. Then, as mentioned above, he would paddle around, pick up the harvest and wait for the next flight. Take note this was early Sept around Logan Lake - still fairly warm. Not sure about colder times.

huntwriter
12-14-2009, 11:55 PM
A friend of mine used a float tube to hunt ducks in the early season. I would watch him from a shore blind and curse my luck. He would use lots of camo netting and dead plants to make himself look like an old stump then just hang out 10 yds. from the decoys. The ducks had no idea until his Auto 5 started barking. Then, as mentioned above, he would paddle around, pick up the harvest and wait for the next flight. Take note this was early Sept around Logan Lake - still fairly warm. Not sure about colder times.

Observed a friend of mine doing the same thing and it made me seriously think of employing that tactic too. He would slowly float almost within spitting distance of the ducks and they never knew what was about to happen until the gun went off.

It was a bitter cold day, must have been because my butt froze to the ground behind the blind. I asked him about sitting in the clod water. Said he; "It's not that cold if you layer with plenty of wool. In addition he placed these chemical hand warmer pads you shake to activate near the kidneys, under his feet, on the thighs and a few other places. Said he was cozy warm. Did I mention that my butt froze to the ground on that day.

kastles
12-15-2009, 08:02 AM
I use a float tube out on the marsh. It is left covered up with a corn stock/reed camo blanket till a bird is pulled down into or across the river. I make my own retrieves. One tip for kicking if you have no fins on is to use the "eggbeater" kick. Ask your local lifeguard or water polo team how to do it. Search vids on youtube

kastles

NitwiT
12-16-2009, 09:29 AM
btw, if your using a float tube, make sure that the waders you are wearing come up high enough that when you lean back the ocean doesn't empty into your wader legs. Trust me, thats colder then something thats super cold!

lorneparker1
01-30-2011, 06:00 PM
. I've even drifted down the Cowichan river into the estuary in my float tube. I shot birds as they flew up the river, and then turned around and let them drift downstream to me and then just tied them to the boat. It was one of the most exciting hunts I've done!

Lol that sounds likea blast!

Lorne

Kudu
02-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Yes indeed, this could be the answer to many hunting situations where you don't have the right boat - good thinking!

BradB
02-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Wouldn't most single person pontoons be somewhat maneuverable with fins? I wouldn't want to rely on them to get across the lake, but just to swing on ducks a little I would think it would work.:mrgreen:

rbduck
02-08-2011, 09:34 PM
Not too hijack this post but to help those who want a small boat ....... google "One Sheet Skiff". It may help those who are a little leary of tubefloats.
I made one of these.

Ron:mrgreen: