PDA

View Full Version : Vandalism at Cow Bay

jethro
10-11-2008, 09:51 PM
After this mornings hunt i decided to check out a couple of the other hunting spots in the area and see how the other guys did opening morning. When I pulled into the Blackley Farm public hunting area, a fellow hunter flagged me over. Apparently while he was out hunting some jackass took the valve stem out of his tire and let all the air out. He asked if I had a jack and tire iron. "of course" I replied, always willing to help out a fellow hunter. As I was helping him out he mentioned that the same thing was done to another vehicle earlier.
Last year me and a buddy were hunting about 1km away, and when we returned to the truck, someone had let the air out of one of our tires as well. Its hard to say if these acts of vanadlism are random, or if they are being directed against hunters. I have heard of altercations between hunters and antis in the area in the past.
I just wanted to give my fellow hunters who use this area a heads-up, and hopefully if we all look out for each other we can catch the culprit and put an end to this senseless vandalism.

H&H

Dragginbait
10-11-2008, 10:13 PM
Throw on some camo, sit in a bush with a paint ball gun and use frozen paint balls. And don't forget to put a big stick in the spokes of there bike.

The Dawg
10-11-2008, 11:10 PM
You could always try baiting them with sandles, candles, yogurt and patchouli ;)

Tanya
10-12-2008, 05:10 AM
I have heard of conflicts with some local residents in the area as well. The idea of hiding out with a camera may not be a bad one.

Marc
10-12-2008, 08:10 AM
I had a few yahoos yesterday standing about a 100 yards off from me taking pictures of me and my set up. Nice bright yellow and red jacket makes it great for decoying birds.

I had a note in my windshield last fall stating that I should have called. I'm not sure if I was parked on Reserve land or not and may have crossed it while on to the spot I hunt. I've heard of others again losing their tire valves in there.

It might be a good idea to pick up a set of spare valve stem inserts and a portable tire compressor for the vehicle.

bigwhiteys
10-12-2008, 08:31 AM
Setup a trail cam nearby... Catch them in the act.

Carl

islandboy
10-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Throw on some camo, sit in a bush with a paint ball gun and use frozen paint balls. And don't forget to put a big stick in the spokes of there bike.

Where did he mention a bike?

Dragginbait
10-12-2008, 01:55 PM
eco friendly treehugger type !!!

Buck_virgin
10-13-2008, 12:29 PM
What a burn!!! I can't stand these type of people. These are the types that as soon as they are confronted turtle up and call the cops crying.

JeffR
10-13-2008, 12:33 PM
You could always try baiting them with sandles, candles, yogurt and patchouli ;)

Check the regs, I don't think you are allowed to bait treehuggers. I think you can hunt them with dogs though.8-)

goatdancer
10-13-2008, 02:23 PM
Check the regs, I don't think you are allowed to bait treehuggers. I think you can hunt them with dogs though.8-)

Just checked the regs. Didn't find any reference to them as 'game'. They probably are in the same category as starlings and other such vermin. I don't know if the coyotes and ravens will eat them though.

Duck Buster
10-13-2008, 03:40 PM
I am the guy who had his valve stem removed at COW BAY. What a terrible thing to have happen after a fun opening morning. Lucky for me there are still some great people in this world and H&H was kind enough to give me a hand. (how did the goose turn out?) I have posted the following note on the fence at the farm entrance and I only hope that the anti-hunters can respect us like we do them.

USERS OF COWICHAN BAY REC. AREAS.
This is a PUBLIC HUNTING AREA and free for all to use. Damaging people’s property such as parked vehicles is not a way to show that you do not like HUNTERS. Such narrow minded and ignorant behavior has been and will continue to be reported to the POLICE. Lets all act like adults and enjoy all that this area and nature have to offer for everyone.

I hope no one else has a problem this season, but if you do call the cops right away and lets try to weed out these bad apples.

Cheers
Duck Buster

steelhead68
10-13-2008, 07:54 PM
One day these people will be caught. And with any luck have the absolute bark beat off their ass.
We all know the types we wish would catch em too. Good ole' boys. messin with thier trucks and in a spot where noone will hear them scream. now thats a dream hunt.