PDA

View Full Version : Cast Iron Ware-canadian Superstore

ratherbefishin
09-08-2005, 07:00 AM
The Canadian Superstore has cast iron 12'' frypans and griddles on sale for $6.88 each.I picked up one of each[didn't really need them, but couldn't resist the price]After seasoning they work just fine.
For the griddle, I took some 1/2''rebar and welded an ''A'' frame that fits though each handle-and voila' - I have a simple campfire griddle that holds it up above the coals.A similar ''trivet'' can be welded up to hold the frying pan, dutch oven pot, or kettle

rock
09-08-2005, 09:49 PM
I bought a couple a few years back at canadian tire for I think 12 bucks each, work great.

Fred
09-08-2005, 11:23 PM
I just saw dutch ovens in cast at the Army&Navy for $25.99. They has other cast stuff but I only looked at the dutch ovens because of this thread. Fred

ratherbefishin
09-09-2005, 07:35 AM
you can't beat a castiron dutch oven for camp cooking.You can even bake bread and pies in them[use a ring to lift the pie pan off the bottom]Just think of a dutch oven as a ''slow cooker'' for stews and roasts.Moving it to a hotter area turns it into an oven for bread, biscuits,etc.

echo
09-25-2005, 03:45 PM
Cast Iron Dutch Oven cooking can be an art! If you use briquets--always remember to put more on top than underneath (remember heat rises) and each briquet is worth about 15 degrees F-- so most often more is not better--you can use a 'chimney' to light briquets or adapt a large coffee can yourself. Anything you can cook at home you can cook in cast dutch ovens--and you can stack them too! so you can cook a whole meal in limited space by stacking!! (watch for dutch ovens with a lid that has a lip for holding the briquettes on or for stacking--not a domed lid! although I have a small domed lidded dutch oven I use in my oven at home! also look for dutch oven with feet to hold them up away from the heat a bit!) practise up on recipes at home and then take them out in the woods! g'luck!