PDA

View Full Version : for the fun of it - moose story

BCrams
10-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Was out hunting for calf moose this morning for a quick hunt before work.

(always take a camera even for quicky hunts)

First spot had a cow / calf right at 7:10am but the calf offered no shot being behind the cow the entire time, after 5 minutes they started running and still no shot.

So I go quickly check one more spot a half a mile away and right at the edge of the block entrance a cow moose walked on the road ... so I bailed out hoping a calf would follow ..... after a couple minutes she runs into the block and another moose runs across the road ... smaller but not quite a calf I thought so I I'd better have a better look so I went down the road and into the block and see them standing about 20 yards apart 50 or so yards from me ..... definatly smaller but not a calf but a yearling cow.

Then I noticed another moose off to the right going over the hill through some brush ~100 yards away so I quickly go over there to peek over the hill ... and when I looked over ......there only 60 yards was this massive bull moose in the ~50-55" range with scooped 4 point brow tines, wide/high paddles and 12 x 14 points (the works) - a lost bull from the north country that would easily go in the 200" range.......

As he was standing away from me oblivious to me ..... I gave a big grunt and the bull turns (almost slow motion) and ran towards me and I started waving and yelling to no avail and then shouldered my rifle and I fired a shot at his feet from ~15 yards and that stopped him!!!! Had he kept coming at me - I would have shot him then gut him and then call up one of the local CO's. I wished I had a camera!! I could have got him with my bow after he turned to leave. Andrenalin!

Over the years, I have seen some big bull moose in the PG region but this bull took the cake ... wow.

Whats funny is I have a LEH bull draw ---- but for a different zone. :???:

Stone Sheep Steve
10-10-2008, 10:12 AM
You should put "Mighty Calf Hunter" beside your avatar pic:tongue:.

You should always pack a camera with you whan you don't have an LEH in your pocket fir the zone you're hunting in.

Hope you brought a change of undies to work:oops:.

SSS

lightmag
10-10-2008, 11:12 AM
cool story, i'm heading out tomorrow am for a quicky, it's my sons 1st B-day and i work nights tomorrow so it will be short and sweet hopefully, :biggrin:

MattB
10-10-2008, 01:18 PM
Have you sighted in your gun yet :razz:

Sitkaspruce
10-10-2008, 01:44 PM
What MU Zone???:wink:
What Road???:?
GPS Coordinates???:eek:
Cutblock #????:?:
What side of the road???:???:
Can I get my quad there???:idea:
Any Deactivation???:?:
What size of gun will I need for a moose that big???:confused:
I have a fireball, but it is in liquid form, will it work???:eek:
What call should I use, bull grunt or cow call???
Do I have to get off the road to shoot it???
I have a camera. can I come with you next time???:biggrin:

Husky7mm
10-10-2008, 02:05 PM
I hardly ever see calves in the Omineca. Between the preditors and the GOS on calf I dont know how anything survives to carry on the moose population????? Anyways sound like a heck of a bull, I am surprised you would punch your moose tag for a calf when you have a bull draw.Tender young meat can be bought from a butcher, dont you like your moose chewy? LOL

BCrams
10-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Have you sighted in your gun yet :razz:

That I did :shock: It was way off base at 6 inches at 100 yards :?

BCrams
10-10-2008, 03:09 PM
I hardly ever see calves in the Omineca. Between the preditors and the GOS on calf I dont know how anything survives to carry on the moose population????? Anyways sound like a heck of a bull, I am surprised you would punch your moose tag for a calf when you have a bull draw.Tender young meat can be bought from a butcher, dont you like your moose chewy? LOL

See calves all the time. The calf carry over is quite high each year.

Its a 2 hour drive to where I have a LEH draw with my Dad. We will probably still try for the LEH bull or he will during the week. In the mean time - I can still pursue 2 pt / calves close to home.

Brambles
10-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Real smart Ram's start grunting 60 yards away from the biggest moose you've seen, didn't you know a horney moose is one of the more dangerous creatures you'll run into.:shock::razz: Don't want one of those humping your leg.:tongue:

Sounds like a rush, sucks you forgot the camera.

10-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Experiences like that are to far and few between, gotta love it ! Too bad it's not on film. Some things that happen while afield are to be remembered forever, for you, that will be one of those times.
Too cool.
C/T

BCrams
10-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Real smart Ram's start grunting 60 yards away from the biggest moose you've seen, didn't you know a horney moose is one of the more dangerous creatures you'll run into.:shock::razz: Don't want one of those humping your leg.:tongue:

Sounds like a rush, sucks you forgot the camera.

With the cows off to my left and the bull to the right at an angle ...... I suppose it was asking for trouble when I let a grunt out. Quite exhillarating. I was actually worried for myself at the point when I fired into the ground.

As for camera - since I lost our family camera in the spring - we havn't replaced it and any pics I took were with my parents hence no camera. I am in the process of replacing the camera with a cheaper one and get a good video camera to tape hunts too.

PGK
10-10-2008, 08:54 PM
If moose didn't scare the hell out of me, I wouldn't hunt them. 1500lbs of horny coming at your azz is one hell of a time