PDA

View Full Version : calf hunters?

Woodrow
10-09-2008, 10:37 PM
I live in vanderhoof and today the town was crawling with hunters. Im pretty sure it has something to do with the calf season opening tommarro. it could be the long weekend but I say its the calf season. Ive never shot a calf moose, and you never know I just might be hungrey enouph to shoot one, one day . BUT NOT ANYTIME SOON. My question is how many of YOU out there have shot a calf moose. Come on be honest!

lip_ripper00
10-09-2008, 10:40 PM
cow was taken first, mmmmm calf:grin:

10-09-2008, 10:41 PM
I haven't, but not for lack of trying.

Woodrow
10-09-2008, 10:43 PM
cow was taken first, mmmmm calf:grin:
calf was to fast for you?

Shooter
10-09-2008, 10:45 PM
When I was just a boy we took a calf moose. Although I didn't take it my stepfather did while I was with him. It was sure tasty. I got my very first deer later on the same day. here's a pic from that trip years ago.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/tnlpinkney/IMG.jpg

10-09-2008, 10:46 PM
A friend shot a calf quite a few years back. I have to tell to that it was REAL fine eating. Tender like you can't imagine.

lip_ripper00
10-09-2008, 11:03 PM
No came across a hunting party that had shot a cow under LEH and they said "their might have been a calf" their tag filled they did'nt hang around to find out. After looking around and see the tracks in the area, indeed the cow had a calf. It took 2 days for him to come back. Would not have made it throught the winter. Blame me for the cow, no the guys should have checked for offspring. I saw an opportunity and took it. Calves were open

Woodrow
10-09-2008, 11:05 PM
No came across a hunting party that had shot a cow under LEH and they said "their might have been a calf" their tag filled they did'nt hang around to find out. After looking around and see the tracks in the area, indeed the cow had a calf. It took 2 days for him to come back. Would not have made it throught the winter. Blame me for the cow, no the guys should have checked for offspring. I saw an opportunity and took it. Calves were open
That sounds pretty good of you to put the effort in to finish the job someone eles should of taken care of.

lip_ripper00
10-09-2008, 11:12 PM
That sounds pretty good of you to put the effort in to finish the job someone eles should of taken care of.

Yes sir, their are a lot of hunters who do not "take the calf first"!

Mr. Dean
10-09-2008, 11:28 PM
I'd take a calf in a heartbeat.

Boomp..... Boom Boomp......... Boomp - KABOOM!! -__________________________________________________ ________________ :lol: :mrgreen:

PGFullMonty
10-09-2008, 11:39 PM
I will be honest with you... I have taken 3 calves over the last 10 years. They get tastier and tastier every year. The only times that I have not taken a calf was the years that we had a bull draw. They are easy to handle when you are by yourself and you can't beat the meat! I took one last weekend in 7-16 (no draw this year) and it is the most tender morsle you could imagine. We got 121 lbs of boneless meat out of it! Puts a few awesome packages of steak in the freezer! Just my thoughts!
PGFM

killman
10-10-2008, 01:25 AM
Me too! I have taking a few over the years. Fits in my little freezer perfectly.

hunter1947
10-10-2008, 03:40 AM
Calf moose is the best eating animal out there besides a calf elk.

I have never shot ether one but would love to have the opportunity to do so.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-10-2008, 04:49 AM
BCRams?? Where are you??:-D

Sad to say that I missed the only one that I took a shot at:roll:. I guess you might say I had a bad case of "calf fever":redface:......:wink:

This hunt has been going on for quite some time now and the population seems pretty healthy in that area. Certainly appears to be sustainable.

In fact, 7A has the most productive moose hunting strategy in the province as they harvest all age and sex classes of the population.

If I lived closer I would try to take advantage of a good source of meat. Would make it a lot easier to hold out for a nice muley. I'm pretty sure that this is the key to BCrams muley success!

SSS

sawmill
10-10-2008, 06:03 AM
I had the antlerless draw years ago and took the calf instead of the cow.Why would I eat a tuff old cow when I could have a tender 200 lb,chunk of meat?No brainer.

Leaseman
10-10-2008, 07:23 AM
We have taken a mininum of 10 over the years from 7-11..... usually went with someone having a cow draw in our group....

Big7
10-10-2008, 08:00 AM
First moose I shot was a calf when I was 15 or 16 I think, shot one more early 20's - last ditch effort before I went "mooseless" for the winter. Haven't shot one since. Seem to have been lucky enough to harvest a bull each year.

moosinaround
10-10-2008, 08:38 AM
First moose I ever shot was a calf. Hopefully there will be one in my freezer soon too! Moosin

lightmag
10-10-2008, 08:49 AM
definatly would take one, unless there was a 2 pt standing there, lol

bighornbob
10-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Never have shot a calf moose but when they had the calf elk LEH tags in the koots in the mid 80's we always had a few tags in our pockets. I shot 3 calves probably in a 6 year span.

Like others have said the best eating you are going to find in the wilds.

BHB

BiG Boar
10-10-2008, 09:17 AM
will try to pop one this weekend. Will let you know how it tastes.

NEEHAMA
10-10-2008, 10:24 AM
oh ya me to ! my bud got one last year...so good.

in a restaurant i would order the rack of lamb not rack of SHEEP !

SAME THING !

BCrams
10-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Best eating bar none! You don't even need a knife for your roasts!

I'll admit to having taken a few .....err a lot of calf moose (unless we get a LEH permit for bull moose or a 2 pt - but even then despite being a local - only a hand ful of LEH draws in 23 years)

SSS indeed got it right - meat in the freezer allows a little more selectivity during deer season.

Sitkaspruce
10-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Shot one about 8 years ago, none since. I have been lucky to get a bull draw 9 of the last 12 years so there has always been meat in the freezer. If no draw, either guys in our party have a couple and we share or someone usually calls for the use of my strong back/weak mind and quad and we get a share of that as well.

Not sure if I could pop another calf, but that just me, however if it came to beef or a calf moose, then down goes the moose, just never been in that position.

Good luck to all who are out there enjoying what BC has to offer.

SS

Gateholio
10-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Never taken one, but I suppose I would, if I needed meat that year.:-P

Brambles
10-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Hey if its legal I'd shoot one.

Hell I seen a spike fork last morning. But alas, not legal..........crapola

mikek blacktail
10-10-2008, 05:05 PM
my first moose was a calf probably wouldn't shoot one unless I was going home empty handed ,sure are tasty though

kako99
10-10-2008, 05:37 PM
I have shot lots of cafe up in vanderhoof.
I would take a cafe before any big bull or cow great tasting