PDA

View Full Version : Hunters like no other..

DeerWhisperer
10-09-2008, 10:21 PM
I was hunting out in chilliwack last year and I had parked on a road leading up to a cut block hiked in and found a good spot to sit and watch over this block. As I am sitting there I see a flash of white across the cut block and I take out nocs and I see a guy coming up through the bottom of the cut. As I am watching him he raises his gun, points it at me and is looking at me through his scope. Now since day one i was told always to use your bino's until you are sure that you want to shoot it. What really ticks me off is that a week later I was walking a trail above a road and sure enough there is another guy driving on that road and must see movement or something slams on his breaks grabs his gun leans over his hood and starts to scope not only me but all of my buddies as well.. Do people have any common sense??:shock: Or I may look like a deer

Nalidixic
10-09-2008, 10:26 PM
Well.... In my opinion if a guy points a gun at you he is fair game.... :P Shoot the sucker :P

Nalid

Gateholio
10-09-2008, 10:30 PM
Next time, grab your rifle and work the action, make it look like you are going to return fire. Or just duck.:smile:

elkdom
10-09-2008, 10:38 PM
I been "scoped" also, now it's bad enough to be scoped, but scary the thought how many times it happens you dont know about it! makes you wonder ! huh??? I been thinking of carrying one of those small powerfull "lasers", you see them scope you! so you "laser" thier ugly little eye balls!! may work?? huh?

mcrae
10-09-2008, 10:39 PM
I bought a blaze orange hat today because I will be hunting this weekend with my family in some higher pressure areas.

I am actually amazed at how many guys hunt and don't carry bino's....

lip_ripper00
10-09-2008, 10:43 PM
yup the new camo is blaze orange :shock:

Shooter
10-09-2008, 10:50 PM
I used to hate carrying my Bino's, always did just hated the weight around my neck and the way they swing when you walk. But I just bought one of the shoulder harness set-ups and its awesome. The bino's don't sway at all and there is NO pressure on the neck.

10-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Way back about 20 years on Williston Lake I moved into a block in the dark to await day break. I nestled into a nice spot on the edge of the clear cut with my back against a big tree. As day light broke I watch this guy and his wife come up the old deactivated logging road, she stopped 1/2 way and edged into the timber. He continued toward me, I'm waving my hat at him first, then my full arm..... he keeps marching toward me, now he's so close I don't want to startle the BLIND HUNTER so I stop. Then in one motion from 30 feet he swings his gun off and points it straight at me, well I start yelling and dive to the ground, then proceed to give this clown a piece of my mind ! what a Jack---s ! He then tries to blame me, I let this guy know he shouldn't instantly do such a thing, and tell him I tried to signal him for a couple hundred yards, still it's my fault for looking like part of the scenery. Let me tell you there were no moose shot in that clearing that morning .... and a woman out there as I passed by found out what a Jack---s of a hunter her husband is.
That was so scary!! Still makes the hair on my neck stand up.
C/T

huntwriter
10-09-2008, 11:18 PM
I got scoped twice and it makes me so mad that if it were legal I would shot at their truck. Since that unfortunately is not an option I do the next best thing. Wear a blaze orange vest. If I can get the car license plate I will call the cops on the guy. If I ever have to confront one of these morons and he mouthed back at me he sure would have to see a dentist. I have ZERO tolerance for such folks.

Allen50
10-09-2008, 11:30 PM
intresting, hunters that use there gun scopes to see what moved, a couples of years a go i was walking down a road from a timber line in the Tulameen, when to people come into the bottom of the cut block on a quad, the guy on the front of the quad jumps off and neals by the bike and points his gun up where i was walking, i was watching them in my bino's, when he did that i did the same to him, then he jumped up yelling don't shoot were not a deer, as i walked past him he just looked at me, and i said good thing to teach a kid,, you better but some bino's, you may get your kid shot,, he never said a thing, and i kept walking, some hunters never learn,, bino's work way better then a scope to see whats out there,, if a deer is there and get's away, so what, there are more to come,, you may save alife, and it may be your owne,,, think about that,,,,

hunter1947
10-10-2008, 03:49 AM
There sure are some bad hunters out there ,or should I say stupid hunters that they think they are hunter.

Thats one reason why I keep out in remote areas as much as I can.

Phreddy
10-11-2008, 12:01 PM
As I have always said, there are no hunting accidents, just huting stupidity.
Every incident I've ever heard about can be traced back to the shooter just not doing something properly.
I pound this fact into every CORE student I teach.

huntwriter
10-11-2008, 12:12 PM
As I have always said, there are no hunting accidents, just huting stupidity.
Every incident I've ever heard about can be traced back to the shooter just not doing something properly.
I pound this fact into every CORE student I teach.

That’s just about the score of it. I too make my CORE students and SHS Hunting Course (this is not like a CORE course, with the SHS Course you learn to become a successful hunter) attendants aware of the stupid things people do that is equivelant of begging for an accident. I also tell them that CORE cannot eliminate stupidity but we can bring it to their attention and then hope that they will make wiser choices. My favorite saying is. "Don't be an idiot be a smart hunter instead."

goatdancer
10-11-2008, 04:43 PM
How do these morons pass the FAC/PAL course? The first thing the examiner told me when I was doing the practical part of the exam was
"if you point the barrel of the gun in an unsafe manner you will immediately flunk" . Maybe these dodos 'bought' their FAC/PAL.

abbyfireguy
10-11-2008, 05:07 PM
Took a picture of a twit who scoped me a few years ago. He even smiled for me until I told him the CO was going to hear how he scopes hunters with his rifle and also get his picture...What makes it worse was he had a round in the chamber( he was stupid enough to admit it) when he did it..
He tried to apologize but I was seeing too much red to listen...One of the few times in my life I almost lost control and gave someone a nose job..
Idiot brain...
The CO in Vanderhoof was less than concerned until I told him he wasn't any better than the dumb hunter,then he sat up and listened....
I takes all types I quess..:mad:
I agree binos give a way better image,I'm never without my trusty nikons under my jacket,,

huntwriter
10-11-2008, 05:22 PM
How do these morons pass the FAC/PAL course? The first thing the examiner told me when I was doing the practical part of the exam was
"if you point the barrel of the gun in an unsafe manner you will immediately flunk" . Maybe these dodos 'bought' their FAC/PAL.

It one thing to give the right answer on an exam questionnaire but it’s an entirely different thing to out and do what you learned in a course.

I fact you just stated the reason why I do not believe for one second that mandatory hunter education and firearm safety courses make that big a positive impact as it claims to do. Teaching morals, ethics and good behavior starts at home from early childhood on and not at the age of around 10 years at a 24-hour something course.

“I only make this course because the law demands it.” Is an expression I hear often but I can’t stop people from not taking the course just because they do it because the have to by law and not because they want to take it and learn a little something from it.

Idiots will be idiots no matter what we teach them. That is something we have to put up with. The only alternative would be to have the government decid who’s an idiot and that is not a route I not even entertain to think about.

M.Dean
10-11-2008, 05:53 PM
When your deer hunting or moose hunting, when you see game the first thing you grab is your Bino's! Your Bino's should be around your neck, i don't care how long you've hunted or how good your eye's are there not as good as the animals your after! If your unsure of what you see, you grab your Bino's, there for looking, your gun is for killing! Some day you may look at the wrong person with your scoped rifle and you'll either spend days tryng to get it out of your ass or you may just see a muzzle flash from there rifle!!!

cowboyup
10-11-2008, 06:43 PM
I used to hate carrying my Bino's, always did just hated the weight around my neck and the way they swing when you walk. But I just bought one of the shoulder harness set-ups and its awesome. The bino's don't sway at all and there is NO pressure on the neck.
Been thinking about buying these things also. What make did you get ?

eaglesnester
10-11-2008, 07:40 PM
At the risk of offending a lot of the folks on this forum, I think we need a law passed that every hunter that carries a firearm for hunting purposes be required to carry a set of field glasses with a required resolving power at a set minimum. This goes against my grain to say this as I do not want to see more law that restricts us and our rights in the field. However I have been scoped and the idiot that scoped me had a live one up the pipe and no field glasses. I can tell you folks it is not a good feeling, scared shitless, so bad you don't know if you want to puke, shit your drawers, or go blind.

huntwriter
10-11-2008, 09:38 PM
At the risk of offending a lot of the folks on this forum, I think we need a law passed that every hunter that carries a firearm for hunting purposes be required to carry a set of field glasses with a required resolving power at a set minimum. This goes against my grain to say this as I do not want to see more law that restricts us and our rights in the field. However I have been scoped and the idiot that scoped me had a live one up the pipe and no field glasses. I can tell you folks it is not a good feeling, scared shitless, so bad you don't know if you want to puke, shit your drawers, or go blind.

And what good will such laws do? Do you want also to see a law that forces hunters to use binocs? If so how are we going to enforce that?

We have already so many laws and controls on the books that it would make communist envious. I have been shot at with an arrow many years ago(still have the scare to prove it) and scoped God knows how many times but crying for more laws is the furthest on my mind. In a free society we have to live with a certain degree of danger. And I much prefer that than living in a society where the government regulates everything people do.

huntwriter
10-11-2008, 09:41 PM
When your deer hunting or moose hunting, when you see game the first thing you grab is your Bino's! Your Bino's should be around your neck, i don't care how long you've hunted or how good your eye's are there not as good as the animals your after! If your unsure of what you see, you grab your Bino's, there for looking, your gun is for killing! Some day you may look at the wrong person with your scoped rifle and you'll either spend days tryng to get it out of your ass or you may just see a muzzle flash from there rifle!!!

For me binoculars are standard equipment. I never leave the house without them. I spend more time glassing on a hunt than anything else. Without biocs I am blind.

cwocarsten
10-11-2008, 11:50 PM
hunting in Sparwood 15 yrs ago i was up on the ridge before first light. I got to within 50 yds of a moose in some heavy brush and was waiting for a good shot on it when all of a sudden all hell broke loose. Shots were fired from the road below (500+ yards) towards the moose and I could hear the rounds buzz by me. I shot a round in the air and the hunters jumped in their truck and took off. Oh yeah ...they were parked beside my truck below me. Stupid!

springpin
10-12-2008, 12:05 AM
I got scoped today. It has been a bad week....

Sunny
10-12-2008, 12:44 AM
they should go back to class

Stone Sheep Steve
10-12-2008, 05:00 AM
A few years ago I was set up on an old road the turned into a trail looking for a whitey. I snuck-in in the dark and sat about 3 yds above the road against an old stump..where a couple of trails intersected.

An hour or so later I could hear something coming....and a few seconds later I could hear voices. Here come two poster boys from Cabelas'...obviously getting a late start.

I didn't want to freak the crap out of them as I had my face covered so I whistled at them. They didn't hear me so I whistled again. This time they heard me and stopped. They were on a alert. So, I whistled again. Then I waved my hand. They were probably on 25 yds away at this time. Well, up comes the lead guy's rifle:shock:.........:mad:. I quickly stood up and yelled in a very upset, intense voice...."Do deer whistle??!! DO DEER WHISTLE??!!!!!!!!!"

The guys grabs his chest like he was having a heart attack or something....and apologizes. WTF!!???

How many deer have you guys heard whistle??:?

These guys obviously heard me whistle. Then I noticed that amongst all the gear they had on(and believe me, they had a lot of gear) they were both missing binos. So I asked them where were their binos?? They said they didn't have any....so I said maybe it might be wise to invest in some.....not that they needed to use them since I was only 25 yds away.

So.....they learned a lesson that day that " DEER DO NOT WHISTLE"!

SSS

ratherbefishin
10-12-2008, 07:18 AM
stupidity?-a few years back I was doing some target shooting with my kids in a clearcut-on an dead end road-and this car comes down the road-goes around us-and proceeds to park in between us and our set up targets.When I demanded to know what they were doing-they told me I had no right to be shooting where people were going walking!I pointed out it was hunting season,we were legal,shooting safely- and them going for a walk in the bush wearing brown coats wasn't a smart idea.....

ianwuzhere
10-12-2008, 07:34 AM
crazy Lower Mainland Hunters;)

o2fish2day
10-12-2008, 08:21 AM

I think this is a hell of an idea. If hunters were required by law to hunt with binos then the number of incidents would decline dramatically. COs could check hunters to see if they have then and ticket them if they don't. The cost to each hunter would be $20 if they went cheap and it would promote the "idea" that using your scope is not tollorable. I know some guys I hunted with didn't want to split up because they said "what if I see movement and point a gun at you" I replied, you are supposed to be wearing binos!

Needless to say we didn't split up, There are a lot of hunters out there who simply haven't been trained properly. The CORE is ok, if you get some instructor led training, but some hunters don't and they simply challenge the exam. I am shocked sometimes when discussing regs with some hunters at how many haven't read anything more than how many deer you can shoot in their particular region. (sprinkled with some pass me down information from hunting buddies)

Making Binos law would solidify the idea that scoping is not allowed. - I think BCWF & Hunting BC should make a request to the Ministry on our behalf. Perhaps we should have a vote.

o2fish2day
10-12-2008, 08:23 AM
stupidity?-a few years back I was doing some target shooting with my kids in a clearcut-on an dead end road-and this car comes down the road-goes around us-and proceeds to park in between us and our set up targets.When I demanded to know what they were doing-they told me I had no right to be shooting where people were going walking!I pointed out it was hunting season,we were legal,shooting safely- and them going for a walk in the bush wearing brown coats wasn't a smart idea.....

You have no buisness shooting where people are walking....

troutseeker
10-12-2008, 11:17 AM
You have no buisness shooting where people are walking....

The shooters were setup first. Common courtesy dictates the walkers should go find another trail. Not to mention their own survival instincts should kick in. Or maybe they were Vancouverites with some granola to munch...