PDA

View Full Version : Slaughter in the Snow 10/9/08

PGK
10-09-2008, 12:52 PM
Post removed

10-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Nice birds. I haven't hunted ducks in years...except once in Manitoba. I found the ducks in the lower mainland taste fishy. Or did I just have bad luck?

newhunterette
10-09-2008, 01:48 PM
some yummy lookin quackers :)

PGK
10-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Nice birds. I haven't hunted ducks in years...except once in Manitoba. I found the ducks in the lower mainland taste fishy. Or did I just have bad luck?

Dunno. Ask the ducks when they get to the LM :razz: Should be soon, they were leaving region 7 this morning with snow on their tail feathers. Never eaten wigeon, find out what they taste like soon enough :razz:

Sideofabarn
10-09-2008, 01:59 PM
I'm jealous man, did you take the duck rod with you?

BCrams
10-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Dunno. Ask the ducks when they get to the LM :razz: Should be soon, they were leaving region 7 this morning with snow on their tail feathers. Never eaten wigeon, find out what they taste like soon enough :razz:

They won't leave until freeze up (well maybe the odd bird). My experience shows that they'll pop over to one of the local lakes along with the Nechako for a few weeks yet!

The big northern mallards and greater Canada's will be arriving and make for some good shooting!

PGK
10-09-2008, 02:15 PM
Eh, they didn't look happy with the snow. I figured they were gonna book it pretty soon.
All the mallards I've seen are big and fully plumed. Just need to get lucky I guess. Some big damn geese flying around too. Not the numbers I expect though. Are they still coming?

branthunter
10-10-2008, 10:51 PM

You had bad luck. I've been duck hunting here on the lower Delta since 1965 and I've never had a fishy tasting mallard, pintail, or widgeon. Mallards can get a bit funny tasting if they get into rotten pumpkin and I'm told the birds up the valley get fishy if they get into rotten salmon on the spawning rivers.

Crazy_Farmer
10-11-2008, 08:14 AM
I'm told the birds up the valley get fishy if they get into rotten salmon on the spawning rivers.

You can say that again, theres some places where you can hunt that after the spawning salmon you can smell the duck for 5 feet away and also if you pick it up and fish roe can fall out of its mouth. We try to stay far far away from those ducks.

10-16-2008, 11:32 AM
You had bad luck. I've been duck hunting here on the lower Delta since 1965 and I've never had a fishy tasting mallard, pintail, or widgeon. Mallards can get a bit funny tasting if they get into rotten pumpkin and I'm told the birds up the valley get fishy if they get into rotten salmon on the spawning rivers.

That must be it. The last few times I hunted was around Nicomen Slough and the general area. I decided not to bother after a couple of bad experiences.