PDA

View Full Version : quading alone

stixnstones
10-08-2008, 10:19 PM
was up hunting up the chilliwack lake area last week with a friend when in the middle of no where we came across someone walking down the road.as we got closer we realized he had blood on his face.got out and asked him if he was okay he replied he had been quading and flipped his quad on top of himself. i put him in my truck ,threw a blanket on him and gave him some water. he told us both that he had spent the night under a tree and hads been walking for a day and a half. i asked him if he needed a ride to the hospital. he said no just to his truck. once there we exchanged numbers and offered him for us to get his quad and bring it to his house when we were done hunting. thats just what we did. upon arrival at his place he gave us a 100$ and a bud each. i said no thanks but he insisted. I mentioned to him what was he doing

10-08-2008, 10:34 PM
That could have turned out much worse! Do many people go quading alone? My brother used to go on extended trips in Northern Alberta, but always in a group of 3 or 4.

I guess it's like a solo hunt. The risks can be greater but so can the rewards.

M.Dean
10-09-2008, 04:58 AM
The guys lucky, be a hell of a way to go, stuck under your quad for a few days well you slowly died! I put on a couple of thousand solo K's each year, you can't take the risks alone like you can if there's a few bikes there. I take enough stuff to to last me a week, and then some. There are risks but more people get hurt or mugged jogging in the park than on Quads. Was a real nice thing you guys did, was the quad drivable when you got it?

hunter1947
10-09-2008, 05:08 AM
I keep to roads that are in fairly good shape when I quad buy myself.

Its when people speed and get careless when things happen to them.

I go slow and watch what I am doing ,my top speed is only 15kl an hour when I am traveling on a spur road.

It was very kind of you to refuse the money and help him out.

sneg
10-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Trying always be double carefull while alone on truck or quad in remote areas. However you never know.andrealine always push to try and go little further. if terrain seems little too much for my wheels i walk . I feel sorry for that guy.Good on you to help fellow hunter.

10-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Maybe the bud had something to do with what happened in the first place.

huntergirl270
10-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Hubby flipped his quad when hunting alone in Creston for Elk. Lucky he didn't kill himself. Split the stock of his rifle though. If/when he can make it up there he tries to hook up with a great guy who hunts up there for a month out of the year. At least then someone knows he hasn't come back to camp KWIM?

mijinkal
10-09-2008, 09:42 AM
I was biking alone on the weekend while the rest of camp was sleeping and realized how unprepared I was in case something happened. You have to be extra carefull, take as few risks as possible and be ready to get yourself out or fed for a few days. I have the same attitude when I'm backcountry snowboarding solo. ALWAYS let somebody know where you are going and if you're not back by a certain time, start looking for me.

In4TheHunt
10-09-2008, 10:19 AM
You did the right thing by helping...Good on ya
Cheers

RiverOtter
10-09-2008, 10:22 AM
I do 80% of my quading and hunting solo. You definately have to be honest with yourself regarding your strengths/weaknesses, and stay well within your boundaries. I still feel far safer in the bush solo than I do walking down most city streets.

RO

BiG Boar
10-09-2008, 10:35 AM
I mentioned to him what was he doing

What was he doing? Did he say how it happened?

Nooker77
10-09-2008, 03:20 PM
I do 80% of my quading and hunting solo. You definately have to be honest with yourself regarding your strengths/weaknesses, and stay well within your boundaries. I still feel far safer in the bush solo than I do walking down most city streets.

RO

Ya but those Lumby Streets are SCARY after dark!! Have you seen whats out front of the rams Horn after 10pm......friggin scary man!!:razz: Howd the elk hunting go..heard a couple of nice ones came out of your honey hole this year!
CheersNooker

MIL720
10-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Maybe the bud had something to do with what happened in the first place.
someone always has to asume things don't they.no one is allowed to just have an accident.....

jwe63
10-09-2008, 06:40 PM
As a physician, please realize a hypothermic, or head-injured person may not be the best judge of whether he should be seen by an emergency department. Some injuries are not readily apparent.

I realize you couldn't twist his arm any further, but really try to insist they get a quick exam by at least a paramedic. Those guys/gals are a great help.

RiverOtter
10-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Ya but those Lumby Streets are SCARY after dark!! Have you seen whats out front of the rams Horn after 10pm ......friggin scary man!!:razz:

Lets just say I'd rather take my chances walking between a sow and cubs........Grin

RO

H Wally
10-09-2008, 10:04 PM
You did well - hopefully that scared him enough to get him properly organised next time.

I know hearing about something like this makes me think about how well prepared I am for any sort of outing.

Frango
10-10-2008, 09:29 AM
I was quading by myself down a spur this year ,when I came around a small bend and a very big grizz was eating something on the road about 100 feet away.No place to turn around.Gun unloaded and mag in my pocket.He slowly walked away while I turned around in 8 ft. Made me pay way more attention than I had been.
PS Why does getting getting a quad into reverse seem so hard sometimes??

300H&H
10-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Yes I do quad alone, but very rarely do I ever do anything risky.
If I did get hurt MY WIFE WOULD KILL ME !!!

Spokerider
10-10-2008, 11:24 AM
As a physician, please realize a hypothermic, or head-injured person may not be the best judge of whether he should be seen by an emergency department. Some injuries are not readily apparent.

I realize you couldn't twist his arm any further, but really try to insist they get a quick exam by at least a paramedic. Those guys/gals are a great help.

Ditto..............

As stated, the injured party is not the best judge of one's deficits and extent of injury, unless it's a clinically obvious complaint. "Walking wounded" often arrive at the er, and often only because of the urging of a friend who insists that they go. Sometimes with these reluctant folk, ustable and /or complicated injuries are discovered......

michaellw, good on you for helping the guy. He may have been much worse off left to spend yet another night without shelter and access to medical help.

browningboy
10-10-2008, 08:03 PM
I go alone alot but take it easy, no point in not coming home so to speak, actually had a friend's uncle died while elk hunting in the prophet back in 97 or 98', he wasn't found for three days and was on the news, when they did find him, he hit a culvert and wiped out and snapped his neck instantly, at least he went while doing what he loved to do. RIP- Rick Slaniff

stixnstones
10-14-2008, 09:18 AM
he was just out for a ride.quad flipped on him .yes the quad was driveable.