PDA

View Full Version : LEH success rate factor

ratherbefishin
10-08-2008, 07:53 PM
in the last 10 years-I have drawn 2 LEH for moose-one successful-my question is-when determining the numbers of LEH permits for a particular area-what success ratio do they use in determining how many permits to be drawn?I'd still like to know how they establish what an acceptable harvest rate would be for any individual area-and -is their management policy working-are the moose numbers increasing?

CJ-Jim
10-08-2008, 08:04 PM
I attended a hunter / ministry meeting a number of years ago and was told that the moose population was holding steady at 15,000 animals ,a hunter asked why doesn,t the fish and wildlife increase the number of moose in the P.G area instead of just keeping the population steady and guess what , they had not even considered such a thing !!

10-08-2008, 11:08 PM
in the last 10 years-I have drawn 2 LEH for moose-one successful-my question is-when determining the numbers of LEH permits for a particular area-what success ratio do they use in determining how many permits to be drawn?I'd still like to know how they establish what an acceptable harvest rate would be for any individual area-and -is their management policy working-are the moose numbers increasing?

Normal procedure is to use the actual success rate averaged over the last five years with aminimum of 5%

First AAH is established using regional inventory data. Overall harvest is calculated using a percentage of the total population or a total of the estimated bull population and varies smewhat from region to region but is usually aound .20 of total polulation or .15 of estimated bull population. The result or target harvest thus established is then divided by allocation percentage between residents and non-residents.