PDA

View Full Version : Quartering a moose

Alpine Addict
10-08-2008, 04:04 PM
I have only ever gutted/cleaned a couple deer and bear so far. We're headed up for my dads moose draw pretty soon and I can't find much on the internet on good intructions for quartering a moose. If someone can explain , it would be appreciated!

AA

.308win
10-08-2008, 04:33 PM
Quick and dirty of how I do it....Remove gut(same as Deer) I then remove the head, find the first rib near the stomach, count 3 ribs and cut through from the spine to the belly(same on other side) I then saw through the back bone. You now 2 halves, I usually saw the front half, starting at the end that was just sawn, cutting the backbone down the middle all the way through to the neck. Then saw through the back bone on the back half, starting on the end with the 3 ribs and cut towards the tail. 4 quarters ready to be loaded out!! Hope I got that out clear!!:smile: Best of luck on the hunt!!
4 quarters skined and cleaned:
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p101/newfieguy1/IMG_0737.jpg

Perry

Ubertuber
10-08-2008, 04:53 PM
Gut it (it's the same as a deer, just larger), then cut it in half (we usually cut just after the second rib). Hang and skin it. To quarter, cut dead centre on the spine with a good saw (easier once you've done it a couple of times that's for sure).
You could do the gutless method, but I would practice with a deer first.

Mr. Dean
10-08-2008, 04:53 PM
Deer Processing 101 (DVD) shows how to quarter a deer. A moose is only bigger. Personally I wouldn't bother chopping through all that bone and spine. I'd debone the ribs, loins, and straps instead, then leave all that junk in the bush.

If ya p/u the movie, you'll see that its pretty straight forward.

Jelvis
10-08-2008, 05:01 PM
One thing about moose if you never saw one on the ground before. They are big and heavy. Use rope to tie on legs too keep spread apart. Cut the hide from the inside when you quarter so the hair don't get in the meat. Have a strong friend with you lol.
The reward is the best meat you'll ever eat in the world.
Beats everything including elk. Moose smokies have been known to cause rioting in the streets. lol. Good luck. Jel

hunter1947
10-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Take a look at the thread I have on 6x6 down and you will see what is left after quartering it and stripping the meat off it.

Sitkaspruce
10-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Forget gutting it, messy, slow and a pain in the butt.

Do a search here on the no gut method. It is the only way to deal with a moose.

Here is a few links
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhAqaXuPR4M
http://www.fieldandstream.com/article_gallery/Never-Gut-a-Deer-Again-(With-Bonus-Instruction-Videos)

Just do a google search "No Gut Method"...Lots of info.

I guide for moose and it makes it an easy, very clean and fast way to do a moose. Once you do it, you will not go back to the old conventional way.

I use a small 6x10 tarp to place the quarters on.

PM me for more info and tips if you want.

Cheers

SS

Dale
10-08-2008, 05:20 PM
I only go with the no gut method these days. I've done it on everything from deer, goats, caribou, and moose. I start to skin it from the back towards the stomach only as far as need be. Then take back quarter off, then front and finally backstrap and neck meat. Roll animal over and repeat. You end up with 4 pieces per side. You can reach into the body cavity from where the rear quarters meet the spin and remove tenderloins. Best part is minimal blood, no gut juice, and less time.

The 'Hummer'
10-08-2008, 05:29 PM
You didn't ask so I won't dwell on the gutting aspect. When I started hunting, quartering on Moose sized game was the order of the day. My Dad was very good with an ax and that's what he used for going down the back bone. A couple of attempts at 'mimicking' his skill made me realise, I didn't have it, and probably never would. He said his 'trick' for hitting a straight line was "it's all in how you hold your tongue".
Soooo, on quite a few occasions what I ended up using was a hunting trip tool, a Homelite XL-12 powersaw using veg oil as a chain lube. Today, especially considering CW, I have to side with Mr. Dean and for the most part I think deboning is the way to go. Besides, when I used to take Moose quarters to my friendly butcher, the instructions were usually, "Bone it. The best roasts, the best steaks & chops and grind the rest for burger and sausage". So, why bother cutting bone?

killman
10-08-2008, 05:40 PM
I prefer to use a small axe or hatchet. The trick to hitting in the right spot is to lay the hatchet where you want it to split then hit it with another hatchet. Everyone packs a hatchet right. I find this to be much easier than a saw.

Alpine Addict
10-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Perefect guys. Helped alot, Ill post the pics of a freshly quartered moose in 9 days!

The 'Hummer'
10-08-2008, 07:11 PM
I prefer to use a small axe or hatchet. The trick to hitting in the right spot is to lay the hatchet where you want it to split then hit it with another hatchet. Everyone packs a hatchet right. I find this to be much easier than a saw.

:idea:Never thought of it. Sounds like a good idea! I'll give it a try.:idea:

mark
10-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Some advice for you, cordless sawzal!!!! Shark-tooth blades! Trust me!

zigman
10-08-2008, 08:46 PM
I will be looking into the cordless sawzall for next hunting season. Doing a moose with a small pack saw sucks. A hatchet works though...just not as neat as a saw.

krazy
10-08-2008, 09:09 PM

Learned this from my Dad and have been doing it for years. Works very well. Unlike a chainsaw/sawsall, a small hatchet is easy to carry and therefore with you when you need it.

diharv
10-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Hi all
I prefer to bring the quarters of moose or elk home whole whenever possible .A t-bone steak just ain't the same without the t-bone !
Harvey

Dirty
10-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Just make sure that the rib you pick to section it does not line up with the loins in the back. You will nip the ends off if you are too far towards the ass end. It is common sense if you look inside the cavity, you will be able to see it.

hunter1947
10-09-2008, 05:26 AM
What I use to cut up my animal is a 20 inch shark hand saw ,you never have to worry about the batteries dieing on you.

killman
10-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Saws are great when they are Hanging, harder to use when they are on the ground.

MOWITCH SLAYER
10-09-2008, 07:53 PM
308.win has it right on! the no gut method is easier but it is realy hard to get your prime cuts of meat after it's been all hacked up. seen both done ,i'll spend the time and go the old way. besides you can't go home without the heart and liver not to mention the tender loin

The 'Hummer'
10-09-2008, 08:11 PM
308.win has it right on! the no gut method is easier but it is realy hard to get your prime cuts of meat after it's been all hacked up. seen both done ,i'll spend the time and go the old way. besides you can't go home without the heart and liver not to mention the tender loin

Definately, you HAVE to strip the tender loins out! That's a prime cut. As far as the heart and, liver, the liver especially, is in the same food group as cooked spinach. I've never been that hungry.:tongue: I'll take a good look at it, flip it over and check it closely again and unless someone specifically wants or asks for it, I'll leave it on a stump 'for seed'.:smile:
There's three parts to an animal. The hide, the meat and guts.

moosinaround
10-09-2008, 08:11 PM
I like this way too! No bone dust all over, and easy to do lying on the ground!!

Chuck
10-09-2008, 09:49 PM
I shot a bull moose once.....standing in a clearing all by itself. Gave it a 30-06 x 165 gr pill and felt the ground shake as it dropped. Then I walked over to it and dam near capped - like a Clydesdale horse it was. Took me hours to get it gutted and divided for transport. Never did that again all by myself! First time for everything eh?

The 'Hummer'
10-09-2008, 09:54 PM
I shot a bull moose once.....standing in a clearing all by itself. Gave it a 30-06 x 165 gr pill and felt the ground shake as it dropped. Then I walked over to it and dam near capped - like a Clydesdale horse it was. Took me hours to get it gutted and divided for transport. Never did that again all by myself! First time for everything eh?

You gotta' start somewhere. Welcome to the club.;)

Sitkaspruce
10-10-2008, 09:51 AM

Curious as to what prime cuts do you loose??? I have been doing this no-gut method for years and the butcher says that I loose very little in the way of good cuts, plus I do not pay for all that bone weight that just gets tossed. The meat gets boned out on the neck, backstrap and ribs, the meat stays on the leg bones to make it easier to pack out and hang. As for the tenderloin, it comes out very easy, just make a small incision between the hip and rib and take it out. To get the heart and liver, when done, just remove the ribs on one side by hatchet and voila, the heart and liver are ther for the taking.

Cheers

SS

Mr. Dean
10-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Curious as to what prime cuts do you loose??? I have been doing this no-gut method for years and the butcher says that I loose very little in the way of good cuts, plus I do not pay for all that bone weight that just gets tossed. The meat gets boned out on the neck, backstrap and ribs, the meat stays on the leg bones to make it easier to pack out and hang. As for the tenderloin, it comes out very easy, just make a small incision between the hip and rib and take it out. To get the heart and liver, when done, just remove the ribs on one side by hatchet and voila, the heart and liver are ther for the taking.

Cheers

SS

Agreed. I don't know what cuts he loses by doing this....

jml11
10-10-2008, 11:21 AM

I've never had trouble getting the tenderloin out using the no gut method, just reach in under the spine, grab and pull pretty much, takes very little knife work actually. In fact using a knife only increases your chances of puncturing the gut bag. I manipulate the loin with my fingers to seperate it from the spine and hip, comes out in one piece too!

Mr. Maverick
10-10-2008, 11:23 AM
I've just done a little investigating on this method. I have heard of this before but always went with the old school but I'm very interesting in trying this. If there are any good tips out there i would love to read them. What about the tenderloin how is this part of the process done. thanks

lightmag
10-10-2008, 01:13 PM
you don't lose any "cuts" with the no gut method, it's no different than doing it old school and getting it home and then butchering it yourself as most home butchers debone the animal rather than saw through bone making "T-bones", your best cuts are just boneless, the backstrap (best cuts) looks just like a big tenderloin waiting to be sliced into steaks, these are the same cuts in a store labelled "striploin" and "rib steaks". It's a great wat to leave weight and waste in the bush, once you do it you won't go back.

Sitkaspruce
10-10-2008, 01:33 PM
I've just done a little investigating on this method. I have heard of this before but always went with the old school but I'm very interesting in trying this. If there are any good tips out there i would love to read them. What about the tenderloin how is this part of the process done. thanks

Maverick

Look at the links posted at the begining of the post, also Google "No Gut Method", lots of info.
Here is another one
http://home.att.net/~sajackson/guttless1.html

Also do a search here as I and others have posted the way to do it on other posts.

As for the tenderloin, I make a small slit between the back rib and the hip and then do what jml11 does, just use your fingers to feel and pull away from the bone. After doing it a few times, it becomes very easy. I do it on all but the small deer. I practiced on everything I shot to figure out better ways, easy ways and cleaner ways. Now for me it is the only way to dress an animal. No mess, cleaner, faster and if you get a butcher to cut your meat, cheaper as you do not have to pay for all that bone weight.

SS

Mr. Maverick
10-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Thanks that helps a lot I'm trying that on my next. Thanks again

hunter1947
10-11-2008, 05:23 AM
When I drop a big game animal I clean it out because I take the hart and liver as for cutting the meat out from between the ribs.

I don't leave much for the ravens as the pic showes.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Picture_1260.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=10686&limit=recent)

Jelvis
01-24-2009, 01:38 PM
Great thread on what you gotta know this coming season if you are taking a hunt on a moose leh or gos. Read it and remember it, I'm reading the whole darn thread again you too.
Jel--great stuff on moosin.

hunter1947
01-25-2009, 07:43 AM
A small chain saw is what I use on quartering up a moose.

You can also use a good sharp hand saw.

After cleaning out the moose I then get the head off and the lower legs.
Then I cut along the bottom side hair line in the center from the front to the rear with you knife ,thats where the saw will be cutting.

I then cut from front to back using the chain saw or hand saw with the animal chest facing up 12oc.

I cut down till I get all the way through the animal ,just make sure you don't go into the hide hair will be everywhere.

Then once the animal cut from one end to the other using the chain saw or hand saw then use your knife to cut the hide to seperate it into two haves.

Next thing is go in from the back rear rib and cut the hide from the bottom to the top make sure you are cutting through the hide and meat so all will be cut as you are doing this.

Then you can use the chain saw or hand saw to cut through he back bone ,now you will have two quarters ,then go do the other half of the animal and do the same ,now you will have 4 quarters.

Word of advice when cutting down the back bone using a chain saw keep the saw in the middle of it and stand to one side or you will have hamburger all over you.

Before you use the chain saw empty all oil out of the oil tank then put in cooking oil ,then run the saw for about 60 sec to get rid of unwanted oil that is still on your chain blade and in your lines

Jelvis
01-26-2009, 12:53 PM
Cut the head off first hunter's? Then legs?
Gotta cut the main vien to pump blood out so the head off blood can escape, is what I'm hearin.
I try to shoot moose in heart area so blood pumps into chest cavity therefore getting blood out of the meat.
Doe's this sound real good to do as above?
It's what I try to do open chest cavity get the heat out!
Jelness--moose on the ground--now as partner's we help.

GoatGuy
01-26-2009, 01:53 PM
Cut the head off first hunter's? Then legs?
Gotta cut the main vien to pump blood out so the head off blood can escape, is what I'm hearin.
I try to shoot moose in heart area so blood pumps into chest cavity therefore getting blood out of the meat.
Doe's this sound real good to do as above?
It's what I try to do open chest cavity get the heat out!
Jelness--moose on the ground--now as partner's we help.

Gotta get my LEH first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kyleklassen
01-26-2009, 07:26 PM
best way to clean the chain of oil is buck a couple old logs after adding the veggie oil. and make damn sure you clean the saw after, just don't chuck it in the garage until next season.