PDA

View Full Version : not a guy to mess with.

steelhead68
10-07-2008, 08:02 PM
this guy killed a bear with a stick in 100 mile house,

http://www.bclocalnews.com/ (http://www.bclocalnews.com/)

The Dawg
10-07-2008, 08:10 PM
this guy killed a bear with a stick in 100 mile house,

http://www.bclocalnews.com/ (http://www.bclocalnews.com/)

If I remember correctly, its a member on here's step father...

steelheadSABO
10-07-2008, 08:15 PM
the cops took his guns for some reason

bigmike
10-07-2008, 08:23 PM
the cops took his guns for some reason
whaaaaaat?????:eek:

spreerider
10-07-2008, 08:27 PM
must have been a big hard stick to crack its skull

humble hunter
10-07-2008, 08:34 PM
WOW!!! Lucky Guy!

Bulldraw
10-07-2008, 08:37 PM
My Dad was the person whom killed the black bear that jumped into the fellows boat in Port Renfrew. If this story is anything like their story, trust me it is probably nothing like what it says in the report, regardless of the quotation marks used in the story. I've told Dad that this year he can bring his knife and hammer, but the 7mm stays at home.

TIKA 300
10-07-2008, 09:20 PM
Really makes you wonder how your instincts would kick in.Kudos to him for fighting back and WINNING. TK

ElkMasterC
10-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Cracked a bear's skull.

With a stick he just happened to pick up.

And the bear got within 6' before the dogs were even aware.

Two dogs.

OK

Allrighty.

The Hermit
10-07-2008, 10:05 PM
"I've got a bit of a temper that I try to keep on top of"!!! LOL that is priceless!!

ElectricDyck
10-07-2008, 10:20 PM
That's insane.:shock: Black or grizz? Seems pretty aggressive for a black. Good ending to a scary situation.

ElkMasterC
10-07-2008, 11:23 PM
Super scary

Wolfman
10-07-2008, 11:30 PM
That guy is one tough hombre!

I wonder what that 'stick' he picked up was made out of? Rebar?

Wow.

Wolfman

Mr. Dean
10-08-2008, 12:10 AM
He said (quoted) it was pretty easy...

Good on him!
Lucky buggar.

Steeleco
10-08-2008, 12:17 AM
Nobody said anything about the "Horseshoe" on the end of the stick, or was that somewhere else??

Could have been much worse, good ending for man and dogs!

ohno
10-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Either way it shows you need to go down fighting.

Like that fellow in Port Hardy a few years back that killed a cougar with his pocket knife and as mentioned the Port Renfrew bear attack this summer.

Mr. Dean
10-08-2008, 09:42 AM
To many don't give blackies the respect that they deserve. I find them to be curious, sneaky, and stealthy. I have been 'concerned' on several occasions with real close, and suprising encounters.

Flingin' Sticks
10-08-2008, 12:38 PM
It was in this area a few years back that a young boy got killed because his mom was feeding the cute little bears. The bears in there seem to be quite "friendly" and curious, but when you get between momma and babies...watch out.

I do know for sure, those dogs would be getting a severe talking to. how did they get that close without a dog going nuts!!!

ZENYO
10-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Tough Cookie...

The conservation officers attending the scene went out immediately to search for the bear and subsequently found two cubs as well, which were put down

Why did they put the cubs down?

Eagle1
10-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Cracked a bear's skull.

With a stick he just happened to pick up.

And the bear got within 6' before the dogs were even aware.

Two dogs.

OK

Allrighty.

Read it again, he said the dogs ran off chasing birds as he "CALLED" them back

Eagle1
10-08-2008, 02:05 PM
That's insane.:shock: Black or grizz? Seems pretty aggressive for a black. Good ending to a scary situation.

I've read a couple of books on bear attacks and they say blakies are more dangerous than grizz. Get between a sow and cubs 99.999% chance it will attack.

Mr. Dean
10-08-2008, 02:45 PM
I've read a couple of books on bear attacks and they say blakies are more dangerous than grizz. Get between a sow and cubs 99.999% chance it will attack.

Probably not 100% true.... Higher incidents of BB attacks can be attributed to having more encounters with them. It's a numbers game, don't go under estimating a Grizz because of this.

betteroffishing
10-08-2008, 02:47 PM
chock a block full of tough guy stuff. "like swinging a sledgehammer"

ElkMasterC
10-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Read it again, he said the dogs ran off chasing birds as he "CALLED" them back

Uh huh.

Allrighty.

Yup.

To quote the Bard "Something's rotten in Denmark"

Have no idea why that popped into my head.

Funny that.

Thing
10-08-2008, 03:29 PM
Uh huh.

Allrighty.

Yup.

To quote the Bard "Something's rotten in Denmark"

Have no idea why that popped into my head.

Funny that.

seem pretty brave yourself just wondering if your willing to step in a ring with this guy? just him yourself and two sticks.

rainman
10-08-2008, 09:14 PM
ha,ha,that was good,dont get him mad

stixnstones
10-08-2008, 10:03 PM
wow.i am goin up to sheridan lake for my moose and doe draw oct 15. i should give this guy a call.he could save me money on ammo.lol.

Wolfman
10-09-2008, 10:22 AM
To many don't give blackies the respect that they deserve. I find them to be curious, sneaky, and stealthy. I have been 'concerned' on several occasions with real close, and suprising encounters.

Mr. Dean you are right about that. They are pretty damn sneaky. I've been in situations where I got close to shooting a couple of 'em over the years because of that sneaky-aggression. Lucky for them (and me from a conservation POV) I didn't end up having to.

Wolfman

RiverOtter
10-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Anyone read the comment below the story?
"Several dozen blows in the exact same spot"
"Even a baseball bat would break before crushing a bears skull"

That dude has obviously never seen a boiled out bear skull. A bears forehead may be fairly tough, but the top of a bears skull is anything but armour plated.

City kids........

RO

mijinkal
10-09-2008, 11:11 AM
That's "edited". I didn't see the bear fighting with a stick.
I'd Put the stick down and have a good clean fight without weapons.

ElectricDyck
10-09-2008, 11:56 AM
I've read a couple of books on bear attacks and they say blakies are more dangerous than grizz. Get between a sow and cubs 99.999% chance it will attack.From the 2 books I've read (herrero and shelton) a grizzly sow is much more likely to be aggressive because it's fertility rate is less, they are typically a open country animal so the cubs aren't as good climbers and typically aren't gonna tree so the sow grizzly's job is to protect them. A black bear's cubs typically protect themselves by treeing or hiding in the thick stuff, so the mothers reaction is not as vital to their survival and thus less aggressive.

Both books also recommend playing dead with a grizzly and fighting back with black bears. They also say a black bear attack is much more likely to be predatory.

I've seen 2 black bear sows with cubs this last season and both times the cubs went one way and the sow went the other, reluctantly but unaggressively. Although I never under estimate anything that can easily kill me and run 45 kmh.