PDA

View Full Version : My kids on my property

tooty
10-07-2008, 06:03 PM
We have 5 acres and are letting my daugther and son inlaw put a new modular home in the bottom corner.They are buying it,we are putting in the sevices and slab.Any comments good or bad.Oh,and one grandson with one more on the way.

Th0r
10-07-2008, 06:33 PM
Nice to see parents helping out kids. Wish mine would do just a tad more.

10-07-2008, 06:41 PM
I assume you have checked all the by-laws with respect to buildings etc. Are there two residences on the property? How is the title on the property? Yours alone? If there are others on title then is it joint tenancy or tenants in common? Do you have any other children? If so, have you considered how this arrangement may affect your Will?

Just a few thoughts.

happygilmore
10-07-2008, 06:48 PM
are you looking for info on modulars or the setup?
My first home was a modular...One thing I can advise is hold back some of the money until the home is setup and inspected by you maybe even lived in for 30 days! look for little things in two places on our lino they had cut to far and glued it down (like 4in cut out into the floor) , you couldn't see it until it had gotten dirty, they wouldn't replace it and I had nothing I could do about it but take them to court (pain in the a$$) a few other things- the core of the front door was cracked and after a week the latch and deadbolt were loose (all they did was glue the door- didn't hold), had a jacuzi tub and one of the nails had punched through the water lines (found first time used tub- they fixed that)
They make alot of promises about everything being the way you want it and waranty but once they have your money...

tooty
10-07-2008, 06:58 PM
What brand was that modular?Also we own the property clear title.And we can put two residence on the parcel.Don't know how else they can afford a home.Our home and land is 1 mil or so.What kid has that kind of money.??

quadrakid
10-07-2008, 07:40 PM
life is short,help the young ones out.

tooty
10-07-2008, 07:48 PM
My grandson is only 2 and could run the backhoe by himself if I let him.Can't really say no to the plan can you?

scoot
10-07-2008, 07:55 PM
I would say you are in for some babysitting the youngins:razz:

betteroffishing
10-07-2008, 07:59 PM
lucky for you to have a son in law willing to live that close, and youyll get to watch from an every day perspective your grandchildren grow up. lucky clan , gotta love the plan.

humble hunter
10-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Wow, I wish my dad was that gracious, he is spending my inheritence so fast I may have to envoke power of attorney. IT is like he turned 65 and he needs a new truck and 5th wheel, I think he is going crazy.

moosecaller
10-08-2008, 08:47 AM
I put the downpayment on a 5 acre place with a modular on it for my daughter, son-in-law and 2 g'kids about 5 mins down the road. I was considering putting a place for them on my 5 acres but the septic would have needed upgrade,electric, water system, etc. lots of cost there and time to get it done. I get to see them as much as I want and didn't have to do any major construction. I hear you on the cost of land where you are from and would look into any upgrade and zoneing for a second dwelling, if not for the cost and hassle I would have done it in a heartbeat.

:mad:
Wow, I wish my dad was that gracious, he is spending my inheritence so fast I may have to envoke power of attorney. IT is like he turned 65 and he needs a new truck and 5th wheel, I think he is going crazy.:mad:

Humble; I sincerely hope this is a joke, if so put a smiley face or a followup up on your statement! After working like a dog till 65 I lost my Dad less than 4 years later, I WISH HE WAS AROUND to spend all HIS hard earned retirement money on whatever his heart desired. If this was not said in jest then you must know what most resonable people think of a statement like this.

BiG Boar
10-08-2008, 09:06 AM
Wow, I wish my dad was that gracious, he is spending my inheritence so fast I may have to envoke power of attorney. IT is like he turned 65 and he needs a new truck and 5th wheel, I think he is going crazy.

haha spending my inheritence! Good one. If youre counting on your parents inheritance you havnt visited bloomberg.com latley.

humble hunter
10-08-2008, 09:15 AM
I put the downpayment on a 5 acre place with a modular on it for my daughter, son-in-law and 2 g'kids about 5 mins down the road. I was considering putting a place for them on my 5 acres but the septic would have needed upgrade,electric, water system, etc. lots of cost there and time to get it done. I get to see them as much as I want and didn't have to do any major construction. I hear you on the cost of land where you are from and would look into any upgrade and zoneing for a second dwelling, if not for the cost and hassle I would have done it in a heartbeat.

:mad::mad:

Humble; I sincerely hope this is a joke, if so put a smiley face or a followup up on your statement! After working like a dog till 65 I lost my Dad less than 4 years later, I WISH HE WAS AROUND to spend all HIS hard earned retirement money on whatever his heart desired. If this was not said in jest then you must know what most resonable people think of a statement like this.

Lighten up, it was a joke, I don't need any help from them and I encourage them to spend away.

moosecaller
10-08-2008, 10:09 AM
That is good to hear Humble, charish every moment you have with your parents, time goes by way too quick, I hope they have a long life and you enjoy your time with them. It still hits me pretty hard I miss my Dad terribly.

tooty
10-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Already zoned for 2 houses.Septic is ready.Set backs from creeks,everything is good except hydro.Don't want poles in my yard messing up the ocean view.So I would need to go underground for about 300'.Sounds like a lot of money...