PDA

View Full Version : Moose Leh 2008

srupp
10-07-2008, 05:10 PM
just in from my 2008 LEH moose draw here in the Cariboo..I onely had one day to scout so GPSW'D all the rds swamps willow marshes and found a good camp spot..

I went in alone two days early and when I got to my designated camp spot it was empty..bonus.. however the last residents were successfull hunters as evidenced of the moose scraps...

I set up the 27 foot fiberglass Citation tent..lol:tongue:..got everything set up, set the alarm for 5 am YAAAAWN..and got ready for two days of deer hunting getting ready fo moose opening..
This went on for 5 days..Tim came out for a couple hours for the first couple days but work prevented him from taking too much time off...self employed..

I never seen a cow or bull untill Oct 4th...each day I spent from before dawn till after dark calling and putting out cow in heat...I DID FIND a TURKEY BOX CALL..in the CARIBOO???lol

Susan came out to bring fresh grub and on my way back to camp spotted my first cow moose...Susan stayed for tea and left about 8 pm she came back within 15 minutes to tell me there was a bull and cow moose on the rd @ EXACTLY 9 kilometer....The next day I seen one bull just flying across a open field no chance and 3 cows in a smal secluded swamp I am CERTAIN there was a bull there but he was already surrounded by three lovely ladies..later that day that bull at 9kilometer got shot..

So on the 6th I headed out early to go to a swamp JACKPINE from this site had mentioned..I arived before daylight and at first light there was a MOOSE..so I grabbed the rifle an hiked over to the area I found the moose..he..she..whatever "IT' had errr EQUIPMENT..and a bell but no horns..???what the??my permit said "antlered"

so back to the quad..I sat down an made another call and imediatly heard what sounded like a METAL thumping of heavy machinery..well there was some logging 5 kilometers away so I just thought that was the sound I heard it a couple more times over the next 10 minutes..hmm it seemed to be getting closer..:shock:

I gave another sext momma cow call and this time it was the unmistakable call of a bull moose so off the quad and loaded the new rifle..and called again.. this went on for 28 minutes untill the bull ran out into the cut block off the end of the willow swamp and the christmas tree re-plant and the mature stand of fir..he came in 20 yards into the cut block and stopped I called again and he started a fast walk towards me.."mwukkk mmmmwuuukk.." came his reply to my calls.at first he was 600 yards away and he kept coming closer and closer..louder and louder..and SUDDENLY here comes a SECOND bull from off to the right...at 320 yards he starts to turn towards the other bull so I figure now is the right time..and squeeze off my shot..NOTHING he just STOPS so I hit him again..225 grain...nothing..so the third shot in the ear does the trick..and down he goes..I think my .270 coulda done that..

My quad couldnt pull the moose..hmmm 2500 pound winch...

so I got my pickup and notched a stump on the uphill side of the rd with my chain saw...then circled the stump with a welded chain...to a snatch block...then a couple lengths of rope... and then I just backed down the rd and the moose was pulled up onto the rd.

After cleaning and halving front and back I used my boat loader to pull the moose halves up the quad ramp..then repositioning the ropes onto the back of the ramp I raised the ramp and slid the halves into the box..

THAT IS HOW to load a moose by yourself.. :tongue:

I met my first EAST INDIAN hunting party..now THAT was an experience..:shock:
For only having 19 LEH moose permits..there were 100 hunting individuals..:mad:..and also the assinine amount of "first nation" hunters shooting everything that moved..and also several shots well past dark...11 pm...

All equipment worked flawlessly..less than impressed with the new smokepoles performance..ATV trailer etc etc

The moose were holed up and once the frost hit the calling worked as it always does..the area I shot this bull was a natural ampatheater..'bowel" and the sound carries a long way..Im pretty certain the bull I harvested came in from many Kilometers away..he wasnt a big racked beast as he had a 1" broken stump on the one side and the other side carried 7 countable points but he IS a antlerred bull and doing this mostly solo after the sheep fiasco helped rekindle my confidence and some self esteem..at least my calling moose is STILL there..

Photos to follow..

sincerely submitted by

SRUPP :tongue:

newhunterette
10-07-2008, 05:17 PM
Congrats Steven,

hope we have just as much success when we head to the Boo in 9 days

looking forward to the pictures :)

srupp
10-07-2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks Dear..errr I mean Mrs..Ali..:tongue:..it REALLY was so much fun..and the harvesting went text book perfect....now tomorrow I do the front half next day butcher the back and make some fresh PEPPERONI...THEN off on 2 weeks GRIZZLY leh to KWATNA Bay...:biggrin:
The temp should be cooler for you and the bulls should still respond to calling..Good luck...

cheers

Steven

NaStY
10-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Congratulations on a job well done. It does pay to help others from time to time eh?

TIKA 300
10-07-2008, 05:29 PM
I CALL BULL ....... lol

Congrats on the moose,we still have an LEH for region 3 starting Nov 1,CONGRATS again TK

srupp
10-07-2008, 05:29 PM
nasty IF I would have known how much WORK it is to bring a 1000 pound moose a mere 300 yards and load it into my truck..sheesh..by 2:30 I had it down, dressed, loaded, "cleaned up the site" drove home, hung the moose in our garage, finished the hide removal (it was frost cold that day) showered and headed back to camp before some SOB stole my quad..pretty hectic..no LUNATIC 6 hours..

NEVER going moosing alone again..

Steven

NaStY
10-07-2008, 05:32 PM
nasty IF I would have known how much WORK it is to bring a 1000 pound moose a mere 300 yards and load it into my truck..sheesh..by 2:30 I had it down, dressed, loaded, "cleaned up the site" drove home, hung the moose in our garage, finished the hide removal (it was frost cold that day) showered and headed back to camp before some SOB stole my quad..pretty hectic..no LUNATIC 6 hours..

NEVER going moosing alone again..

Steven

Holy crap man. Now you need a week off from your hunting trip.....

srupp
10-07-2008, 05:48 PM
nawwww I'm just stoopid enuff that I forget the pain by next year and do it again....I feel bad for Tim he LOVES hunting as much as I do..but being self employed ..well when the clients call..you go smiling...hmmm I make POOP for wages as a PARAMEDIC..I havnt seen a raise in 7 YEARS..HOWEVER my holidays are mine and are paid holidays..

Yes NASTY SUSAN and I got a LOT done..once I got home looking like a axe murderer..Susan got into some old cloths and together we hung the beast and finsihed some skinning..while I showered and headed back ..Susan washed the meat down in cool water and vinager..and did our usual open the doors all nite to keep the critter cool..

I have the butchering to start and am cleaning up from this 10 days and get ready for the next 14 day coastal grizzly hunt..THEN my ALberta moose, whitetail, mule deer hunt..then big bucks and finally LEH for antlerless elk...by that time spring bear should be just about ready..

steven

Rhys
10-07-2008, 06:04 PM
Right on Steven! awesome story! congrats on the Bull and god work doing it yourself!

Hope to follow up with my own success story again this year!

Rhys

lip_ripper00
10-07-2008, 06:23 PM
nawwww I'm just stoopid enuff that I forget the pain by next year and do it again....I feel bad for Tim he LOVES hunting as much as I do..but being self employed ..well when the clients call..you go smiling...hmmm I make POOP for wages as a PARAMEDIC..I havnt seen a raise in 7 YEARS..HOWEVER my holidays are mine and are paid holidays..

Yes NASTY SUSAN and I got a LOT done..once I got home looking like a axe murderer..Susan got into some old cloths and together we hung the beast and finsihed some skinning..while I showered and headed back ..Susan washed the meat down in cool water and vinager..and did our usual open the doors all nite to keep the critter cool..

I have the butchering to start and am cleaning up from this 10 days and get ready for the next 14 day coastal grizzly hunt..THEN my ALberta moose, whitetail, mule deer hunt..then big bucks and finally LEH for antlerless elk...by that time spring bear should be just about ready..

steven

Sounds like a good trip!! congrats on your bull:biggrin:
good luck on your next adventure!! We are getting packed and ready to leave Monday, sooooooooooo looking forward to it

Rob
10-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Awesome work! looking forward to the pics. Being a fellow Paramedic I know what you mean about the wages:sad:. Good work on the Moose though.( I think I met you once in 100 mile, we transferred a pt to you who was going north, about 4 yrs ago, we discussed hunting briefly) Rob

srupp
10-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Hi Rob..yes I remember you..good post on BCTV tonite on our lack of wages...and the minister spouting off about its just a contract re-opener he just doesnt get it...

lipripper..this was one of my two most favorite moose hunts in the past 4 decades..just good old hard work in a new area I had not hunted before..long days doing scouting- calling and hanging up "cow in heat pee"..and then obviously effective calling,,,,and some "inovative" on the spot ideas to get the bruiser loaded...other than Tim unable to get the time off the hunt went remarkably well..absolutley everything worked...the first few days were slow but it was just the weather wayyyy too warm 12 degrees above at 5 AM...and 26 at 3pm....

Just hang in there and keep doing what you know works...

steven

PGK
10-07-2008, 07:18 PM
Come again on the east indians? 19 LEH permits? 100 hunters? I say come back big rig, I didn't pick up what you laid down

srupp
10-07-2008, 07:41 PM
I DID see a group of EAST INDIANS.. well actually two groups..the first drove a big burgandy Ford diesel with a camper on the back..him and grandpa..Dad was further on down the next group..part of the first group had a turban WITH a vancouver canucks toque...

I DOUBLE CHECKED THE NUMBERS there were 19 LEH hunting authorizations for REGION 5-02 D for OCT 1-14...I drew one of them..it isnt really a "deer' area..but I seen truck after truck quad after quad fro before daylite till well into the dark of nite..I was @ 12 kilometer and seen 10-15 groups each day..most people camped at a nearby lake..and the native indians I talked with numerous individuals that seemed to take great pleasure in INFORMING me it was their aboriginal right to shoot does bucks bulls cows and ASK where I was seeing the cow moose....ya right buddy..

I was surprised at all the activity and this was only ONE rd out of the entire 5-02 d...that went completely to Quesnel and east towards the Bowron....thats what Im so surprised....but got er done..

Steven

The Dawg
10-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Congrats on the moose Steven! Cant wait to see the pics...oh ya, I am heading out on Friday to the area you pointed me to fill my doe LEH ;)

TriggerMag
10-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Good work, Steven, Glad to see you filled your Tag. That will definately fill a corner of your freezer.

PM sent
TM

10-07-2008, 09:01 PM
Congrats Steven,
big big job by yourself !
Good for you, looking forward to the pics
C/T

tikkat3
10-07-2008, 09:13 PM
awesome stuff Steve, glad to see you filling the freezer after that crappy sheep hunt! Pics!

irishbandit1
10-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Good job!Good luck on the grizz hunt.P.S. try 250 grain partitions in your .338,you should be pleased with the results.Cheers Steve.

reach
10-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Congrats Steven! Our small group is going into a new area next week (5-15D) so it's encouraging to hear success stories like that. Sounds like a fun trip overall.

I was out scouting there this weekend and found lots of sign, a couple of wallows, and a cow & calf... hope there's a bull or two still around in a week :)

srupp
10-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Thanks Steve..I was thinking that was the only part that DID disapoint me..the results of 2 shots with 225 grain...I honestly feel the bull responded very simmilar to that of my .270..hmmmm will chat with Gary tomorrow...

Curly Top...man you aint just whistling Dixie....I bust my hump from the moment the bull finally decided to tip over till untill I headed back to camp after delivering it to my residence....it really is a TWO person job...to be done safetly and efficiently and so the animal can be opened up and cooled down fast...

I will check the front quarters on the moose in the AM to see exactly how the bullets affected the animal....

Thanks

Steven

The Dawg
10-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Good job!Good luck on the grizz hunt.P.S. try 250 grain partitions in your .338,you should be pleased with the results.Cheers Steve.

Yep, my 338 loves the 250gr Partitions as well...worth trying!

Leaseman
10-08-2008, 07:35 AM
Good to talk to you last night Buddy!

Make sure you try to save a day when you and Susan come down for fishing.....;)

Nick was cranked to hear you did it all by yourself.... he is looking forward to pics too...8-)

BiG Boar
10-08-2008, 08:26 AM
Dont believe you without the pictures. I think youre making this whole thing up! Till there up there is nooooooo congradulations from this man. I mean if youre going to make something like this up at least make him a lot bigger, with more points. Plus why not say hes albino!? Once there are pictures, then, I will buy into this fish tale. Mu hahahahaha

srupp
10-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Dave..your only in such a GOOD mood(for you) because of the stock market turmoil...:eek:..lol..you my FRIEND are priceless..great to hear from you and your .02 cents...

Ya its probably just a overly huge gopher with a thyroid problem..

HOWEVER THIS gopher is gonna eat REAL GOOD..for US..lol

Mike yes buddy..I will try to get some loaded on site today but Butchering starts after the morning coffee and jacuzzi.....

Steven

BiG Boar
10-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Ya its probably just a overly huge gopher with a thyroid problem..

HOWEVER THIS gopher is gonna eat REAL GOOD..for US..lol

Steven

hahahaha. That made me laugh. Good one! My gopher hunting starts this weekend hopefully. Unless this market crashes by then.

hunter1947
10-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Good going on the moose hunt srupp.

Don't let your mind fool you ,you still have it ,congratshttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

Leaseman
10-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Steve-
morning coffee and jacuzzi is in the morning...not 10:17 either.... oh, wait, you are a paramedic....

never mind.....:tongue::wink:

nick wants to know if you are making smokies again..... says he will trade you for some nice ummmmm, fish!

srupp
10-08-2008, 03:41 PM
I owe BARNES bullet company and the TSX 225 grain and the .338 caliber a HUGE APOLOGY..IM SORRY I WAS WRONG !..:redface::oops:

On examination of the deceased bull it was brought to my attention that this bullet passed completely through the front quarters BOTH front quarters ( and is probably STILL travelling..lol )

There were in fact two SMALL entrance holes on the front right shoulder..and a fairly substantial hole on the opposite front left shoulder....

I was wrong and just missed the entrance holes...there were NO bullets recovered..non in the ribs, lungs or hide..:shock:..

The entrance front quarter had zero meat loss to blood shot or....

The exit shoulder lost 15 pounds for that entire quarter,,,,,

The rear half of the moose is in the process of being cut up now..and there should be no waste in that half...

Sorry for being so wrong about the caliber and bullet performance...

AWWWW Mike Im headed out to get the TARTAR SAUCE for the "fish"..hmmm I think Ill try it "poached. " ...lol..Mom put in her order last nite as did my twin brother and my sister..sheesh I hope there is some left when the sharing is over.....

Good luck David...

Steven

Jagermeister
10-08-2008, 08:06 PM
I'm beginning to think that paramedics must be overpaid and that is why they have not received an increase in 5 years time. To substantiate this arguement, if ruppster can torque around the countryside hunting and fishing and then over into Alberta for some more hunting, he can't be suffering. Sorry Ruppster:tongue:

srupp
10-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Mr Jagermeister..lol.. a new Paramedic makes just $ 120 less than I do every 2 weeks and I have 32 years as a Paramedic.The last time i saw any wage increse was 7 years ago SEVEN YEARS..at that time I made the same as Vancouver police and fire..NOW I am $10 a hour less than these guys and gals..

When I go to work I am the most senior Paramedic from Williams lAKE TO BELLA COOLA..and highest trained..and am resposible for every man -woman and child in a 50,000 square kilometer area..hmmmm I DO know you are joking however it IS serious this lack of respect for a very demanding, dangerous, and shortened career...

This year was MY year as I am not sure how long i will get to keep my right leg it is THAT bad...next year will be far fewer hunts..ONE for sure for stone sheep THAT IS booked for first weeks in August..and Susan wants to go visit friends...

I make no appologies for my holidays..after doing this job for 4 decades and my REGULAR wage so far this year is only $42,000 for this demanding carreer If I cant be paid a decent wage that properly reflects the skills, training , dangers and importance..than at least I can have some holidays to go find animals for "food to feed my familly":tongue:....

sorry for the rant..I am SO "upset " with just HOW badly Paramedics have been treated I could SPIT!!!

Steven

Jagermeister
10-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Hey, but we got the olympics!

With 32 years ( just how old are you anyhow?) you should at least be making 80 large I would think.
That comaprtment syndrome still affecting you?
Anyhow, enjoy your fishing and hunting trips and may the gordo god grant you paramedics a long waited decent wage increase.

Mik
10-09-2008, 12:55 AM
Congratulations on your kill. Sounds like a great trip. Pictures, where are the pictures?

Leaseman
10-09-2008, 07:43 AM
Ok Steve, keep the moose, just remind Gerry that I still haven't seen the halibut that he promised me....just might have to visit him and repo the truck....:eek:

Will be heading out on saturday and monday to see how "your fish" are doing!

Good luck on the butchering.... as far as the caliber goes, maybe you need to shoot them farther away!!!......:lol:;-)

srupp
10-09-2008, 10:09 AM
yipppeeee the OlypiGS...

Yes the compartment syndrome has seriously affected me and is getting worse..:redface:...doing WHAT I can while I can ...Thansk I hope we get a decent wage increase..our last one for the last 5 years was..0%-0%-0%-0%..and a reopener for 2008..they offerred 2% while managers got 7-8% YEARLY...

Mik photos are still in the camera butchered a entire moose just Susan and I yesterday today is burger day..making burger and fix a flat on the trailer..chase /KILL a mouse that came home in the same trailer..:shock:..sharpen knifes..repack for grizzly trip...

Mike...lol..I saved you a "moose sausage" special casing..no additives..just the way God designed it only ONE per moose..BOY moose..:tongue:..comes with 2 side patties..er nuggets...

I WILL REMIND GERRY...

I expect it will do wonderful on the grizzly should we be so fortunate to see one..

WE will be doing some extra special work in Kwatna for YOUR GRIZZLY hunt..everytime we see a grizzly we sneak up and throw a old shirt of your over his eyes and NOSE...and then smack him HARD along side the head 2 maybe 3 times and say disgusting things like "YO MOMMA WAS A BLACK BEAR.." and flash a photo of you...and then run like hell... well if we can do this to 15 maybe 20 grizzzlies ..you wont have a problem when you go to Kwatna to hunt grizzlies the Kwatna bay Grizzlies social club will be sending a MEET AND GREET MIKE reception party....:tongue::tongue::tongue:

cheers

Steven

Gateholio
10-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Congrats, Steve!

Heck, I wish I had known you were back home, I drove through WL yesterday on my way home..I would have stopped by and convinced you to accompany me on a WL deer hunt!:smile:

srupp
10-09-2008, 10:17 AM
sniff sniff GATE YOU%^$&##*#%**$%!!!!! you drove BY and didnt stop ..sheesh..I could have used your intell on K bay...well did you guys score a deer for TB??score any chicks ..er grouse...that is???

wait til Susan and I come to see you in NOVEMBER..will that be good???

check your calender for early November...or will ya still be killing-thrillin-grillin

Steven

Gateholio
10-09-2008, 10:35 AM
sniff sniff GATE YOU%^$&##*#%**$%!!!!! you drove BY and didnt stop ..sheesh..I could have used your intell on K bay...well did you guys score a deer for TB??score any chicks ..er grouse...that is???

wait til Susan and I come to see you in NOVEMBER..will that be good???

check your calender for early November...or will ya still be killing-thrillin-grillin

Steven

I should have called on my cell phone- Just assumed you were still out moosing!:smile:

Early Novmber should put me hunting blacktails right here at home! Looking forward to seeing you, and let me know dates, so I can get you a room.:smile:

Springer
10-09-2008, 11:20 AM
Ah it's great to hear your Moose call is still reliable Elmer. Thats a lot of work for you and Susan to do together !!,Just think we can do a prairie grain fed Moose in November so you dont lose your touch.

Anyway Joe's Boat is sitting in front of the house anxiously awaiting its trip/adventure back to Beautiful BC. We hung out with SX2 at my house Tuesday night,consumed some brews and watched a few DVD's,starting with Lancasters Mountain Grizzly Hunts for a primer then some Sheep hunts,shared some lies etc.
Last night Joe - (Mountainman) and i went down and hung out with Marco at Sugar Creek Taxidermy.

So a few more sleeps and its off to the W.L. The camera's batteries are charged and heads cleaned. Gear is packed and sitting by the door.

See ya soon.

And by the way quit sluffing on the Moose Photo's Eh !!

srupp
10-09-2008, 01:48 PM
I will check with the BOSS and call you with some dates we can pick and choose around your and my schedule...sooooo DID you and TB get a deer??

Springer good deal..hope you enjoyed Joe's company..he really is a good guy for being so DAMN quiet..:-P..still havnt figured out how much fuel we will need???????Hope you got 2 sets of keys and where the fuel switch over is...and how many drain plugs...lol thats the important one..too bad the moose wont be in rut...oh well got any Alberta grain fed whitetail PIGS tied up...????yes it will be a taste test grain fed or willow...

Moose is COMPLETELY done including burger..now fix a flat trailer tire and go MOUSE hunting....:mad:...

when ya home so I can call?????

cheers

Elmer Fudd Ruppster

Brambles
10-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Congrats srupp.

NOW

You've been doing an aweful lot of babbling when you could be posting pictures, now get on with it and finish.:biggrin:

BiG Boar
10-10-2008, 09:39 AM
I still dont believe he got one......No proof yet, maybe I will stop by on my way past his house tonight and look for blood.

Brambles
10-10-2008, 09:48 AM
I still dont believe he got one......No proof yet, maybe I will stop by on my way past his house tonight and look for blood.

Geez don't do that......He'll be out slitting his wrists on the tailgate of his pickup just to find enough blood to make it look like he shot a moose:biggrin:

Stone Sheep Steve
10-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Geez don't do that......He'll be out slitting his wrists on the tailgate of his pickup just to find enough blood to make it look like he shot a moose:biggrin:

or worse yet.........using some from an accident scene that he recently attended:shock:

SSS

srupp
10-10-2008, 11:04 AM
you girlz is funny..lol..

chuckle

Steven

Iron-Head
10-10-2008, 11:31 AM
Is it not the law of the universe that pictures must follow with every thread of a successful hunt?

srupp
10-10-2008, 01:55 PM
YUPP thats the law..

steven

Leaseman
10-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Steve-

really enjoyed the pics you sent me, especially #3 & #5.......

If you have anymore, send them my way!

Thanks Buddy!

Mike

Brambles
10-10-2008, 03:26 PM
YUPP thats the law..

steven

You must be starving for attention. Keep your pictures. Probably just a bunch of pictures of you blaming the moose for dying so far from the road anyhow.

Caveman
10-10-2008, 04:05 PM
You must be starving for attention. Keep your pictures. Probably just a bunch of pictures of you blaming the moose for dying so far from the road anyhow.

He's trying to figure out how to use Photo Shop well enough to cover up the tire tracks across it's back and Kenworth stamped on its forehead :wink:

srupp
10-10-2008, 04:36 PM
SO you want photos????here is a very pretty one from early morning...:tongue:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100410001.jpg

at least everyone should be happy now...:shock:

cheers

Steven

moosinaround
10-10-2008, 04:48 PM
SO you want photos????here is a very pretty one from early morning...:tongue:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100410001.jpg

at least everyone should be happy now...:shock:

cheers

Steven
Though that is a very pretty photo, it has no dead moose in it!! That is a good start. please keep them coming! Moosin