PDA

View Full Version : Snow Pushing Deer Lower

Alpine Addict
10-07-2008, 03:20 PM
Just a question for the experienced alpine hunters. I scouted a bit of alpine late august and early septemebr and saw 3 nice bucks up there as well as a couple bears. Its elevation is around 6000 feet. For the next 9 days I will be gone on a moose hunt, but after im back I'd love to get back up there. Im pretty sure there will be snow, as closer mountains have been dusted already, but will any bucks stick around up there? How much will they stand until they head down? any advide would be great! thanks

AA

swampdonkey
10-07-2008, 03:22 PM
i seen deer balls deep it is always worth a try

tomahawk
10-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Until it impedes there ability to eat and move around they will stay until they have the craving to find does in heat.

Orangethunder
10-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Agreed, no food or no tail are good reasons to leave.

Certainly worth a try. Worst case scenerio is being in the alpine for a day...

good luck

10-07-2008, 04:24 PM
To be quite technical about it, and I'll be damned if I can name the two types but when it comes to deer moving heres the word from Biologists.
Some deer moved almost automatically on the same calendar date or very close every year. Snow or no snow, others aren't moving until they are absolutely forced down to lower elevations by snow, and like previous guys said, I too have seen them up to there guts in snow in some places. That said, an area we pound in the alpine holds bucks up to the 1st week of Oct. Then like ghosts they are GONE, and minimal amount of snow is in the area.
C/T

Alpine Addict
10-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Great guys, thanks. Ill give it a try

CSG
10-07-2008, 04:56 PM
I was just up in the alpine at around 2000 M and just had some fresh snow the day before we got there. Saw lots of deer trails on the border between the wood and the alpine. All were fresh

GoatGuy
10-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Saw 40 or 50 bucks last week, weather rolled in and the deer showed up right down low. Hoping there's still a couple hanging out in the high country.

Depends on the migration - some go back and forth, some head out during the same week every year regardless of weather and don't head back until the spring.

born2hunt
10-07-2008, 07:22 PM
them big bucks will stay there up to there balls in snow ive seen them come down for there does and take them right back to the top there big for a reason

mark
10-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Ive still been seeing does and fawns at the highest elevations around here, no migration yet!