PDA

View Full Version : Hunting in an open asrea but Camping in a Closed

youngbuck
10-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Hi Everyone,

We are planning a deer hunt in November. We have a friend who owns a cabin and land in a region that will be 4 point or better. We will be close to the next region that is open for all deer. We want to hunt the open region...obviously.

My question is:

Assuming that we get a less than 4 point in the region that is open. What is your experiences/opinions when keeping game in a region that is not open for that size deer?

Hopefully this makes sense

Jagermeister
10-07-2008, 12:17 PM
You just have to get a note from the under 4-point deer before shooting it that it indeed resided in the region that allowed for any buck.

huntwriter
10-07-2008, 12:30 PM
I believe you will be just fine by bringing the non-restricted deer into a restricted area. When you tag the deer you have to indicate in what region it was taken under “Region Number” on the tag. You also have to indicate at what day and month the deer had been taken. That right there should be all the prove you need. Just make sure you have two deer tags so you can properly tag each deer from whatever region you get them. If in doupt phone the local CO and ask him for his advice too.

Good luck on your hunt.

bigmike
10-07-2008, 12:40 PM
are you talking about regions.....or MU's????

10-07-2008, 03:17 PM
You just have to get a note from the under 4-point deer before shooting it that it indeed resided in the region that allowed for any buck.

hahahaha
I think that sounds about right.

tomahawk
10-07-2008, 03:46 PM
You may be required to take a CO to the kill location to prove where it was shot if there is any doubt in there mind.

Mr. Dean
10-07-2008, 04:12 PM
Happens all the time. Just make sure your tag is cancelled PROPERLY before transporting it back to the cabin.

mcrae
10-07-2008, 04:13 PM
If a CO comes into your camp and you have a three point hanging in a four point area I am willing to bet its gonna be a hassle for you regardless if you harvested it in another zone. Like tomahawk pointed out its more than likely gonna involve proving you shot the deer in the "other" zone. I would call a CO for sure and ask them...The other point huntwriter made about the tag being the proof of where it was harvested is a good one but I would just give them a call and ask...

If you do call maybe post up the reply its an interesting question.

rifleman
10-07-2008, 04:23 PM
also make sure you take pictures of where you shot the buck befor & after if possible. try to get a gps co ordinate incase the co wants to see where you shot your buck.....

ryanb
10-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Get a GPS coordinate and a photo of the deer right after you have shot it. If you are hassled and they don't believe your story, show them the photo, give them the GPS coordinate and tell them to go check it out if they don't believe you.

born2hunt
10-07-2008, 07:28 PM
good valid point ryan

mark
10-07-2008, 09:50 PM
I went through this a couple years back, try to have some evidence of your legitness! I told the CO where we were staying and also about witnesses he could contact if he chooses, he totally believed us and that was the end of it! They will give you the 20 questions to sniff you out for lying!

Mr. Dean
10-07-2008, 11:52 PM
.... Happens all the time. Hunters bring in critters from all over the province, often cruising through several regions.

hunter1947
10-08-2008, 12:17 PM
If it where me I would stay in the region that is open for the legal head gear that is legal in the regs.

huntwriter
10-08-2008, 06:41 PM
Reading all the advice here about what should be done besides canceling the tag, causes me to shake my head in disbelieve. Not that I don’t believe the comments made here. I am shaking my head to the fact, or fear of hunters, that a tag, which is a legal document that states where and when an animal has been killed, could be questioned by a CO.

If that is so then I wonder what’s the point of canceling a tag if at any given time at the whim of a CO it can be challenged. Are we supposed to go hunting with a lawyer present?

I had in mind to do the same as the original poster. Jumping from region to region and taking the animal with me. But now reading all this I may reconsider doing that.

When I lived in Illinois I use to go annually to Kansas kill a buck, then drove to Missouri kill another buck and on the way home I would stop at another place in Illinois and kill a 3rd buck. Often I had three deer in the back of my truck, each from a different state with corresponding tags. I have been stopped a few times by game wardens and all I ever got was “Congratulations Sir”.

I had up until now no clue that it could be that difficult here in BC by having deer on the truck from different regions. Scary really when you think about it.

rainman
10-08-2008, 08:56 PM
i agree with huntwriter,if you shoot an animal in one region,tag it move to another region thats fine,im planning on doing the same thing this november,im going to hunt mulies till nov 10 when the season closes in one region then move and continue hunting in the adjacent region.....if i happen to haver a deer with me that is illegal in the region im in now but was legal in the region i just came from thats up mto the cos to prove ive done something wrong,if im being legal all the time im also not going to give up hunting time to show cos where i shot previously mentioned deer ,i have limited hunting time and im not going to spend it showing around cos.......just my opinion ,innocent until proven guilty is still the rule isnt it??

Krico
10-08-2008, 11:26 PM
There are no regulations stating you must camp in the same MU that you are hunting in:roll:

Don't worry about it. Just tag things properly.

Mr. Dean
10-08-2008, 11:32 PM
How do dead moose/elk get to Vancouver from the Peace?
- Hunters transport them.

FYI, Vancouver doesn't have moose/elk seasons... This is no different. The hunters are only making their commute shorter by staying at a buddies cabin.

I would not sweat it. Just make certain that all the T's are crossed and I's dotted > It happens all the time.

youngbuck
10-10-2008, 07:40 AM
Mr. Dean,

It's obvious that when transporting game from your hunting area to your home that you may have to travel through regions that sare closed for that speicies. My question relates more to when you are at camp and a CO comes by.

I think that having pics of the animal when taken along with GPS and the time/date stamp on the camera should be sufficient.

Thanks all of you for your comments

budismyhorse
10-10-2008, 08:04 AM
Hey Youngbuck,

great question and thanks for putting this up for discussion. You seem like a really honest guy and if that comes through to the CO, and you in fact, have done nothing wrong, you likely won't have a problem (unless you get a CO who is a bit of a jerk). Buuut, if, when questioned, there is absolutely anything funny about your story, you'll be proving things and possibly investigated, which will take away from your hunt.

Like Mr. Dean said, T's and I's, T's and I's.

To that, If you are packing a GPS, why not turn the "Track" logging function on. We use them at work. Sneaky way for managers to see how much work guys are getting done in a day! That way, if you kill an animal and have a gut pile, GPS location and track log showing your location all day only to pip into the cabin after dark, you'll be laughing.

CO's have to be tight because there are so many greasy guys out there, they make it tough for the honest folk. You'll be fine is my guess.

10-10-2008, 08:04 AM
We have done it for years, there is no difference where you stay, in or out of MU or Regions. If your hunting legally you have nothing to worry about, yes you might be questioned but thats a good thing to see C/O's out in the bush.
Do every thing legally and your fine.
C/T

Mr. Dean
10-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Mr. Dean,

It's obvious that when transporting game from your hunting area to your home that you may have to travel through regions that sare closed for that speicies. My question relates more to when you are at camp and a CO comes by.

Understood.
And my point is that this isn't any different than a 3 point Elk hanging in my backyard @ home (Langley).... Where's the nearest MU that one could be taken?

It goes without saying that anything supporting ones 'story' should be highly valued and retained, just in case. I believe we're on the same page.

I'm doin something a little different this season. I plan on taking 2 more deer, from 2 seperate regions, without returning home b'tween harvests (and maybe even an elk or moose),,, transporting them in a mobile cooler. Other than the 20 questions game; I *think* a CO would need some other grounds supporting a confiscation/fine, other than a "You Could Be a Poacher" so therefore, NO DEER FOR YOU!

I have combed through the Wildlife Act and can't find a thing govourning where/when it's OK to hang/store an animal.

I's and T's... I's and T's. :smile:

hunter1947
10-11-2008, 05:05 AM
If you have a diagonal camera with the date that shows the day year and month ,take a pic of the kill Sean so you have some of the back ground around the animal.

Then if there ever was a problem with proving where you shot it ,you could take the CO to the same place and show him where you took the pic of the kill ,the back ground will tell the true story as where the animal ones layed when killed.