PDA

View Full Version : dutch oven cookery

ratherbefishin
09-06-2005, 06:13 PM
One of the attractions for me is outdoor cooking.I have found a couple of very useful tools-one a dutch oven, of course, and the other is a simple welded up rebar ''stool''about 8'' high, 8''wide and 16'' long.The ends are sloped to provide stability.You can put a pot, dutch oven, frypan or kettle on it.
A simple but easy meal is to always carry some onion soup mix, which can be added to any meat,add water or beer, and let simmer for a few hours.You can add vegetables, onions, mushrooms whatever.Dropping spoonfuls of biscuit mix on top at the last makes dumplings.

kyleklassen
04-06-2018, 07:46 PM
Sounds good thx.

tomahawk
04-06-2018, 08:24 PM
Love the dutch oven, fav dish we call chicken stew, cook chicken thighs skin on till there half cooked and lots of chicken fat in the oven, add good hard root veggies and Brussel sprouts and fav seasonings and then some soft veggies near the end, and its amazing. Also love digging a hole in dry ground and building a good bed of coals and lay in a heavily foiled turkey on the coals and cover the entire hole back in with the dirt and let the turkey cook itself, so good

Knute
04-06-2018, 09:52 PM
KK strikes again

chele
04-06-2018, 10:26 PM
Nice posts tomahawk and ratherbefishin... keep the recipes coming.

beaverhunter69
04-08-2018, 09:40 AM
Wife isn't too impressed when I give her a dutch oven.:-P

604Stalker
04-08-2018, 10:57 AM
Start with pack of bacon and a large onion get that cooked about halfway so its crispy on one side and the pull it out and seperate bacon from onions toss half the bacon back in and a minute or so later add a bag of hashbrowns and salt/pepper to taste I like to add crushed red pepper or chili flakes to my layers but whatevers handy add the rest of yohr bacon back then a dozen eggs and another layer of seasoning toss your onions and whatever other veg you are using into your egg layer and stir you can top it with salsa cheese ect the eggs will leak down and make it into a giant quiche type meal let it cook well you go do your morning hunt and pop back for a ready cooked brunch before heading back out for the day best advice is to cut it before you remove the peices so you get proper portions of everything serves anywhere from 2 to 8 people depending on how hungry you are!

Spy
04-08-2018, 01:27 PM
Nice posts tomahawk and ratherbefishin... keep the recipes coming.
I don't think Ratherbefishing is around anymore:-(