PDA

View Full Version : Abbotsford Game Cutters

FlyingHigh
10-06-2008, 07:20 PM
are there any game cutters in abbotsford? i'm going deer hunting next weekend, and i'd like to be able to bring a deer in probably on a sunday night. who does good work, has good prices and won't mind a sunday call?

newhunterette
10-06-2008, 07:24 PM
Ennis meats is in Langley (Brookswood)

they do game cutting

Huey
10-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Just dropped mine of at Weymouth meats in matsqui

FlyingHigh
10-06-2008, 07:33 PM
thanks. i'll check out Weymouth. i live about 10 minutes away from matsqui.

Steeleco
10-06-2008, 08:59 PM
"Dressed to grill", in Mission. Robin the owner will give you his cell number if you call the store and tell him your plans.

MattW
10-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Sumas meats is good also

bigmike
10-06-2008, 10:15 PM
kurt krack at sumas meats is awesome
im not telling you to do this but ive taken game to kurts at three in the morning in the pissing rain.....he got out of bed to help me hang em......he might not have been smiling but he was up:biggrin:

I wouldnt deal with ennis
we had a moose there a few years back and i went to talk with him a few days later about what cuts i wanted and when we went to look at the animal it was hanging with the front quaters on the floor in a big soupy mess......i would never go back
that and kurts sausage and deli meat is awesome

bruin
10-06-2008, 10:35 PM
I use Kurt always, we've been taking our stuff there for as long as I can remember. Prices are good also

wolverine
10-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Yup, me too. I've been going to Kurt Krack for years as well. Went to Penguin Meats in Whiterock one year because Kurt was away hunting. They did an excellent job too but they are very picky about who they will cut for. They won't commit to cutting until they see the meat first and it's dirty or otherwise improperly cared for they won't take it out of the truck. They've been burned too many times like other meat cutters. Last year I saw a carcass dropped of by an individual that made me laugh. I said to Kurt's son that it looked like it had been killed in a knife fight. There wasn't six square inches of meat that didn't have a slash mark in it. What a mess. He just shook his head.

bigmike
10-06-2008, 10:57 PM
Yup, me too. I've been going to Kurt Krack for years as well. Went to Penguin Meats in Whiterock one year because Kurt was away hunting. They did an excellent job too but they are very picky about who they will cut for. They won't commit to cutting until they see the meat first and it's dirty or otherwise improperly cared for they won't take it out of the truck. They've been burned too many times like other meat cutters. Last year I saw a carcass dropped of by an individual that made me laugh. I said to Kurt's son that it looked like it had been killed in a knife fight. There wasn't six square inches of meat that didn't have a slash mark in it. What a mess. He just shook his head.
thats another reason i go there
you know you dont have to worry about gross animals hanging with yours

FlyingHigh
10-07-2008, 08:03 AM
thanks for the tips. i'll check out Sumas Meats as well. anyone have the contact info for both these places? my phonebook has pulled a vanishing act and i can't seem to find them on the net. thanks.

DWEL
10-07-2008, 08:54 AM
Sorry in advance for the newbie question but do they take them whole or due they have to be skinned before bringing them in?

swampdonkey
10-07-2008, 09:10 AM
they like them skinned

Steeleco
10-07-2008, 09:33 AM
Sumas would take them whole and has a dumpster to take the waste. He will and should charge an extra fee for skinning. Many, if not all, have trouble getting rid of the waste, and as such won't take anything except the meat trimmed and ready to cut. Saunders last I used them wouldn't take a deer we had till the fore legs were removed.

Best advice is pick your cutter and call them first to find out for sure.

DWEL
10-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Thanks David,

Anyone have the number for Sumas Meats. I tried superpages but no go?

ASPEN
10-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Try Kurt Krack on marion road in sumas-white pages- was there sunday and he is very busy(full)

kishman
10-07-2008, 11:26 AM
All the butchers I've spoken with(my Dad included) all prefer to work on clean game that isn't covered with hair/dirt etc. For this reason, every Deer I've shot so far has been gutted/skinned in the field and kept cool overnight. In the morning I'll go over the carcass and pick all the little hairs and stuff off and then take it in for it's date with the butcher. Much easier doing this after the animal has cooled somewhat, time consuming, finiky work but you'll be happy with the finished product you get back. Hope this helps.

bigmike
10-07-2008, 11:48 AM
SUMAS MEATS 604-864-0434

if i could reccomend somethings.....garlic beer sausage,black pepper salami,and my personal favorite landjaeger.

bruin
10-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Probably should go on the tips and tricks thread, but if you cut the tongue out and use it to wipe down the carcass after skinning it will collect the hair off and works pretty well. Must do when the carcass is fresh though.

All the butchers I've spoken with(my Dad included) all prefer to work on clean game that isn't covered with hair/dirt etc. For this reason, every Deer I've shot so far has been gutted/skinned in the field and kept cool overnight. In the morning I'll go over the carcass and pick all the little hairs and stuff off and then take it in for it's date with the butcher. Much easier doing this after the animal has cooled somewhat, time consuming, finiky work but you'll be happy with the finished product you get back. Hope this helps.

swampdonkey
10-07-2008, 12:25 PM
SUMAS MEATS 604-864-0434

if i could reccomend somethings.....garlic beer sausage,black pepper salami,and my personal favorite landjaeger.i agree kurt does a awsome job

newhunterette
10-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Peter cuts up our meat
I make our own ground meat
if we want other things made up like pepperoni, sausage, salami we take the cuts of meat to Stoeltings or we do them ourselves (depending on time)

once you do it a couple times, you learn quickly what is best parts for steaks, roasts, chops, stewing, etc.

We wrap the meat firmly in freezer meat wrap and have never had freezer burned meat.

ElectricDyck
10-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Kurt is very affordable and only charged me $20 for skinning. Was very convenient to shoot them in harrison, gut them and drop them off. He's in the regs for contact info.

If at all interested though I would recommend learning to cut your own meat. Way better finished product. You get ground without the fat and steaks that are fat and bone free. I tryed cooking some of my band sawed chops and they tasted and smelled like piss. Take the same cut and trim out the fat and bone and it's super tasty. Worth the effort and inconvenience.

FlyingHigh
10-07-2008, 07:07 PM
i would love to be able to cut my own meat. however, i don't have the facilities to do it. no room, and virtually none of the tools, knives included. i don't really have the money to get setup with the tools either.

if i shot the deer on sunday evening, hung it overnight and during the day on monday, and dropped it off on monday evening or tuesday morning, would the meat still be ok?

the reason i ask, i'll be hunting sunday afternoon, fishing during the evening, fishing monday morning, and hunting monday afternoon, getting home monday night. i could probably put the meat in the lake if i had to i suppose, to keep it cool. any advice there?

bigmike
10-07-2008, 07:09 PM
dont put the meat in the lake
as long as its fairly cool where you are going and you take measures to ward off the flies you will be fine
just gut and skin your animal as fast as possible,the quicker you cool the meat the better

kevan
10-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Kurt is the best as far as I'm concerned, but the most comforting fact about taking game to him is that you will get your own meat back and not someone else's....

ElectricDyck
10-07-2008, 07:30 PM
i would love to be able to cut my own meat. however, i don't have the facilities to do it. no room, and virtually none of the tools, knives included. i don't really have the money to get setup with the tools either.

All you need is a knife, a table and wrapping paper. You could still drop off your scraps for someone to make sausages or ground for you.

if i shot the deer on sunday evening, hung it overnight and during the day on monday, and dropped it off on monday evening or tuesday morning, would the meat still be ok?

Like whats already been said, gut it and get it cooled off as quick as possible. In hot weather hanging near a creek in the shade would probably be the coolest. Last trip we put a de boned bear in heavy duty home depot garbage bag and put it in a large bucket in a creek with the top open for breath ability and it stayed very cold.

i'll be hunting sunday afternoon, fishing during the evening, fishing monday morning, and hunting monday afternoon, getting home monday night.

Plenty time to fish when hunting season over. :biggrin: But seriously, you should fish the rest of the time and reserve the first and last 2hours of light for hunting.

bigmike
10-07-2008, 07:34 PM
All you need is a knife, a table and wrapping paper. You could still drop off your scraps for someone to make sausages or ground for you.

Like whats already been said, gut it and get it cooled off as quick as possible. In hot weather hanging near a creek in the shade would probably be the coolest. Last trip we put a de boned bear in heavy duty home depot garbage bag and put it in a large bucket in a creek with the top open for breath ability and it stayed very cold.

Plenty time to fish when hunting season over. :biggrin: But seriously, you should fish the rest of the time and reserve the first and last 2hours of light for hunting.

not a good practice as you want as much exposed surface area as possible.....air is you friend.

ElectricDyck
10-07-2008, 10:28 PM
not a good practice as you want as much exposed surface area as possible.....air is you friend.

Yeah, but it was 25 degrees in the sun, it worked well for the short term.

Steeleco
10-08-2008, 12:27 AM
If at all interested though I would recommend learning to cut your own meat.

It was because of an "argument" I had with Kurk that I decided to do it myself. His work was fair his mouth was foul!!

I should thank him, cutting at home is near as much fun as the trip :smile:

FlyingHigh
10-08-2008, 06:49 PM
thanks for the tips guys. i checked the weather site, and the high for the area i'm going is 11 degrees. but the place i'd hang the deer would be in the shade, so i'm guessing closer to 7 degrees or so. much colder at night. there's a ton of bugs though. how do i keep them off the meat? will game bags suffice?

the bugger is, hunting season happens to be the best fishing season as well! sunday afternoon and evening as well as monday evening, i'll devote to hunting. sunday monday morning and afternoon is fishing! i don't know when i'll get out next, hence the combo trip. i prefer doing one or the other though.

ElectricDyck
10-08-2008, 09:01 PM
he bugger is, hunting season happens to be the best fishing season as well! sunday afternoon and evening as well as monday evening, i'll devote to hunting. sunday monday morning and afternoon is fishing! i don't know when i'll get out next, hence the combo trip. i prefer doing one or the other though.

Yeah I like fishing too, I just started fly fishing it's a blast when they start biting.

DWEL
10-16-2008, 11:10 AM
Thanks to Steeleco, Bigmike and all for the help and phone #'s.
I left last Friday for a 2 day muley trip and came back Saturday aft. with 2 little 2 points for Sumas Meats to process. Oh and my buddy that I went with showed me how to process and skin them so it was a great learning experience.
My first deer ever so I'm pretty pumped.
Cheers,
Dave

Steeleco
10-16-2008, 11:17 AM
Good for you DWEL, pumped is allowed, no pictures ISN'T LOL

Tarp Man
10-16-2008, 11:31 AM
Count another vote for Weymouth Meats. My buddy and I used them after having a falling out with Kurt Krack. Larry Weymouth has been nothing but professional, and has come out to hand the meat very late at night (after calling ahead). Transporting moose meat through the Fraser canyon in August heat is dicey without a freezer and generator. Larry has done quite a few deer and three moose over the last few years, also a bear. I would not hesitate to call him.

DWEL
10-16-2008, 12:20 PM
Good for you DWEL, pumped is allowed, no pictures ISN'T LOL
Waiting for my bud to email them will get them up when I can.:D

sapper
10-16-2008, 06:25 PM
I need to send a shout-out to all for the recommendation of Sumas Meats too.
We (hunting buddy with years of experience and 2 newbies, me and another buddy) on Friday. We headed out to 8-15. Did a late afternoon hunt but to no avail. I was the only one with a LEH for a white-tailed doe. Newbie buddy saw 2 does but I didn't see one. Next morning (cold) my experienced buddy saw three does but me (the one able to shoot) still hadn't seen anything bigger than a fleeing grouse.
That afternoon though when we went back to the same spot I got my first doe. I learned how to do the gutting and skinning. On the way back to camp we saw a buck (the only one of the weekend) but crossing a residential road.
The next morning we saw about 7 muley does (a few huge ones) but still no bucks. We headed back Sunday afternoon so that we could get some Thanksgiving in with the families. Sumas Meats was "swamped" so my buddy dropped the doe off for me Monday morning.
Thanks, all.

NaStY
10-16-2008, 06:44 PM
It was because of an "argument" I had with Kurk that I decided to do it myself. His work was fair his mouth was foul!!

I should thank him, cutting at home is near as much fun as the trip :smile:

I had the same experience with him over the phone. I will never take anything to him. Will resort to doing my own if I have the chance too this year....

redthorn
12-26-2008, 12:07 PM
Yeah, I'd have to go with the naysayers on the Sumas Meats issue. We took our first deer to him a few years ago and were not impressed with the meat we got back. It was a nice little 2 point we got, with a single shot through the boiler room, passing between the rib on the way in, and breaking one rib on the way out. We gutted him on the spot, and the next morning we skinned and cleaned all the hair off him with a damp water/vinegar rag before taking him to Kurt. That carcass was spotless, with no hair on it anywhere, but the meat we got back was full of hair. Kurt himself was quite p***y to deal with, and the wrapping was crap. I don't know if it was because we had never hunted before and weren't "regulars", but we swore that if that was how it comes back from a butcher, we could do better ourselves. We got a free eggcooler from an farm slated for demolition, and built our own cooler. We butcher all our own animals now, and with nothing more than a bunch of *Sharp* knives and a cordless sawzall. It takes time, but it's worth it.

So I guess that going to Kurt was good, because it made it glaringly obvious we could do it better ourselves.

Chameleon
12-26-2008, 03:05 PM
I have had meat from Sumas Meats that friends have had cut there, I was very impressed. I have also tried their pepperoni & sausage, really liked it.