PDA

View Full Version : My Edible Buck

Huey
10-05-2008, 11:25 PM
Well I left after work on Saturday to drive 3 hrs away from town to a spot where I've spooked a few deer 2 weeks ago. Thankfully this time it was open to 'any buck'. Slept in the jeep at the bottom of the fsr that leads to the cut I wanted to hunt. Was up at 5, and waited till 6:30 for some light. Walked into the high end of the cut right along the timber.

After about 30 mins of still hunting along the edge I saw two does that made me. Sure enough there was a buck in the group, I had favorable wind so they stuck around a little. I was able to place my crosshairs on him at about 75 yds, first I was standing up, then I decided since the crosshairs were jumping so much I'd take a seat. Got in a perfect steady shooting position and waited for him to come a little further out from behind the tree he was hiding behind. Sure enough they got spooked and took off. I was so frustrated!

Just like the last time in the same cut the deer saw me before I saw them and got spooked off. I tried to see where they took off to but to no avail. Instead of turning around in frustration I decided to keep walking to the end of the cut. Sure enough there they were 125 yds out on the edge of the timber trying to figure me out.

There is a perfect blowdown stump right beside me but I could only see the doe from that rest. three steps to my left and I could get a bead on the buck, unfortunately no rest.... Back and forth trying to find a spot where I can get a rest on the buck. I felt that they were ready to move again so I decided to take the freehand shot after I calmed down a little. Whamo, right shoulder, heart and lung. He did a heart jump and took off slowly towards the bush. I panicked a little and didn't want to loose him. I touched off a shot while he was jogging away that took out his rear legs, I regret taking that shot. :oops: The original heart shot did the trick and I should have trusted my first shot.

I must say I was hunting for 'any (freezer) buck', and originally thought this buck was a 3 pointer, but was happily amused to find that it made the record book for the smallest 4 pointer in history! What a great learning experience... from field dressing to skinning, my brain isn't the only thing sore from my adventure today... Who would of thought bringing a deer down a mountain cut block could be such hard work!! And trying to figure a way to get the deer into the back of the jeep all by myself... gotta find a different way of doing that!

All in all I had a blast!! A huge thanks to those guys who have been helping me get off the ground... You guys should know who you are!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/20081005_0276_1.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/20081005_0277_2.JPG

rishu_pepper
10-05-2008, 11:38 PM
Nice lookin' 4-pointer, should be good venison for sure! :D

huntwriter
10-05-2008, 11:48 PM
Good going Huey and congratulations on your first buck.

Mr. Dean
10-06-2008, 12:22 AM
A 4 point for your 1st..... CONGRADUFLIPPINLATIONS!!!!!

You better call me (my cell phone crapped/lost your #), I may come in handy 'dealing' with that critter.

Ya need a place to store/hang it?
Was this done ALL on your own??

ThisIsLiving
10-06-2008, 06:10 AM
well done huey lol yup definetly a learning experience.... its nice to have an extra hand to drag and lift a guy like that into the back of your jeep ... but just imagine an immy or large deer lol you tend to pass animals up in certain areas :)

oddsix
10-06-2008, 06:34 AM
good job great lookin buck

Blainer
10-06-2008, 07:03 AM
Good on ya!Sounds like you managed fine on you're own,you will remember that one.

Gerry
10-06-2008, 07:22 AM
That's excellent. Pretty darn good deer for the first one.:razz:

Jelvis
10-06-2008, 07:42 AM
Huey whoa, nice looking buck and good shootin. You did great, next one will be even funner. Jelstein. goodnews.

newhunterette
10-06-2008, 08:02 AM
Way to go, Scott - you waited a long time to get back into hunting and you did great - like catching your fist salmon - you are a natural

high five

huntergirl270
10-06-2008, 08:19 AM
Nice deer!!! Great story :)

KevinB
10-06-2008, 08:20 AM
Way to go Huey! nice buck.

and don't worry, I've shot one or two way smaller 4-pointers than that! :tongue:

bigwhiteys
10-06-2008, 08:23 AM
Good Work Huey! My first buck was a 4 pnt mulie much like yours...

Carl

Steeleco
10-06-2008, 08:29 AM
Well done, now you'll need the video sooner than you thought!! Cool storage might be available too if you need.

Ambush
10-06-2008, 08:35 AM
Congatulations Huey! And you did the right thing shooting again. Nobody realy knows where a bullet hit until they're sticking their finger in the hole.
Good job!http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Caveman
10-06-2008, 08:37 AM
Nice Job Huey, Congrats!!

Mr. Maverick
10-06-2008, 09:05 AM
Nice work, thanks for the story and pics

2slow
10-06-2008, 09:40 AM
great story and a great buck congrats

Mr. Dean
10-06-2008, 09:49 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/20081005_0277_2.JPG

Sorry, Huey.
But this is the smallest 4 pt Mule Deer on record; :lol:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/1stbuckaroo_edited-1.JPG

......My 1st buck. :redface:

Again, congrat's.

bruin
10-06-2008, 09:58 AM
Way to go, nice buck.

Huey
10-06-2008, 12:05 PM
A 4 point for your 1st..... CONGRADUFLIPPINLATIONS!!!!!

You better call me (my cell phone crapped/lost your #), I may come in handy 'dealing' with that critter.

Ya need a place to store/hang it?
Was this done ALL on your own??

Well done, now you'll need the video sooner than you thought!! Cool storage might be available too if you need.

Thanks fellas,
Ya I chickened out. After skinning him I went the easy man's way and took him to Weymouth meats. I was worried I would wreck perfectly good meat by not having appropriate cooling or tools while processing him. Gaining confidence in the field dressing and skinning should allow me to be more prepared and confident in processing my next one.

Mr. Dean
10-06-2008, 12:35 PM
Thanks fellas,
Ya I chickened out. After skinning him I went the easy man's way and took him to Weymouth meats. I was worried I would wreck perfectly good meat by not having appropriate cooling or tools while processing him. Gaining confidence in the field dressing and skinning should allow me to be more prepared and confident in processing my next one.

ahhhh CRAP!

Too bad I lost your #. I could've saved ya a GOOD bill (read: $$$).
Sorry bout dat. :sad:

quadrakid
10-06-2008, 12:39 PM
nice buck and thanks for taking the time to get a few field pics.

TIKA 300
10-06-2008, 06:38 PM
Congrats on the buck,nice 1 for your 1st.....

Any buck down is a good 1,at least you got a couple shots at yours :lol: (not that im pouting about what my X hairs were on :cry:)