PDA

View Full Version : LEH Moose

zigman
10-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Well I just got back last night from my first moose LEH.
Went up to ........ on tuesday afternoon to set up for the hunt.
Confusing roads saw us pull in to camp at midnight.
Up bright and early the first day and we hopped on the quads to check out the area as neither of us had ever been here before (besides google earth). only ended up seeing one doe but a lot of great country. The first day ended with a hike into a nice private swamp...
Thursday morning found us hiking into the same swamp. We came to the point where we could look over the area and for fun I let out a grunt...I got a response right away. i called a couple of more times while i made my way closer (my buddy was heading the same way) and had grabbed a stick to thrash the willows along the way...
After what seemed like an hour, I had made it the 100 or so yards to the point where we thought the moose was. i looked back at my buddy and saw him motion towards the willows. i turned around and saw a cow coming up the bank. i dropped to one knee as she came up and passed me within 20 yards and stopped to look back. I stopped looking at her and glanced towards the second moose.
Out came this great looking bull at under 75 yards. I waited for him to step clear of the trees and took the shot. he spun around so i hit him again (i thought). i shot at him 3 times and he took off. i was sure he would be going down. we called in some help and started to search. we spent the next 4 hours looking for any sign but found none. i was starting to think i had missed him...
fast forward 36 hours and we ended up in the same swamp to check it out. i was trailing my buddy into the area and had just gotten to the lower part of the area when out comes the bull. One shot to the neck and he was down.
It was great to have a shared hunt and to really truly have shared in harvesting a great animal.

Shooter Jr.
10-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Congrats on that Moose of yours

GoatGuy
10-05-2008, 06:06 PM
Congrats- sounds like you had a great time.

zigman
10-05-2008, 06:46 PM
anyone be able to post a picture for me?

trigger
10-06-2008, 08:56 PM
absolutely send em over

trigger
10-07-2008, 06:34 PM
her ya go. sorry so late
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e368/trigger22/moose_hunt_2008_027.jpg