PDA

View Full Version : Moose should be rutting now

browningboy
10-05-2008, 05:01 PM
With all the guys that have been out lately, you must be getting responses when calling now, seems about the right time now.
Just curious on how the responses have been coming back and if you're getting them in?
Week and a bit then we're gone!

zigman
10-05-2008, 05:02 PM
I just got home from my trip and the big boys are definitley answering the calls.

browningboy
10-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Sounds bang on with the timing, any luck?

HD95
10-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Browningboy;I had a bull jump in the lake,come crashing down a game trail to within 25 yds of me,where I tipped him over with my 300wm.All in responce to my calling.In the Quesnel area one week ago.It's happening.Cheers and good luck..

browningboy
10-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Thanks 2stone, I'm used to hunting up by pink mtn and this year will be by dog creek but I think they are all in the rut right now no matter where the location. Sounds like you had a cool experience, there's nothing like having a moose coming in on your calls full steam.....sometimes makes you think it's a grizz!
Cool stuff.:-P

bsa30-06
10-05-2008, 07:39 PM
This is good to hear i leave next week and want to fill my moose tag.

Polonez
10-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Thats awsome to hear! me and my dad want to head out for moose this thanksgiving..... We havent had moose probably for 10 years now since we moved from alberta. We manage to get a deer or 2 yearly but dont really know the area for moose. I heard Chetwind is great but I was wondering if anyone can point out a general area to concenrate on around chetwind or any other areas that might be worth while (closer)
Let me know. I would really appreciate it! THanks
Pat

Wildman
10-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Good to hear...we leave for out two + week trip this weekend!!!!! I am PUMPED!

daycort
10-06-2008, 03:25 PM
I thought I was going to get raped last night. I was doing my love sick cow call and all sorts of cool things started happening. there was 2 hot cows and 5 bulls. 2 legal inmature bulls and 2 legal mature moose and one in betweener. I had a bull mount a cow right in front of me at about 10 yards on the other side of a willow I was hiding behind. Going back tonite to get one of those mini's.

browningboy
10-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Thats awsome to hear! me and my dad want to head out for moose this thanksgiving..... We havent had moose probably for 10 years now since we moved from alberta. We manage to get a deer or 2 yearly but dont really know the area for moose. I heard Chetwind is great but I was wondering if anyone can point out a general area to concenrate on around chetwind or any other areas that might be worth while (closer)
Let me know. I would really appreciate it! THanks
Pat

Try up by by PG or north as calf season is almost here (7-29) Mackenzie area or Nation river area and good luck, shouldn't have trouble there filling a calf tag.

I thought I was going to get raped last night. I was doing my love sick cow call and all sorts of cool things started happening. there was 2 hot cows and 5 bulls. 2 legal inmature bulls and 2 legal mature moose and one in betweener. I had a bull mount a cow right in front of me at about 10 yards on the other side of a willow I was hiding behind. Going back tonite to get one of those mini's.

Man, that gets one blood going to especially when they are vocal like that, quite cool with 5 bulls, obviously only have one thing on their mind, funny on how thats a perfect example of the immies being the satelite bull that cruises around the edge while two others fight it out for the cow and he tries to sneek in! Aw the good ol' moose rut, pretty much fart in a tranny tube and they'll come gruntin'!

zigman
10-06-2008, 07:02 PM
I did manage to get my first bull. He followed a cow out as she came looking for the big bull that was thrashing bushes abd grunting etc. (me)
This bull just followed her out. he ended up being 567# on the hook and had a 42" rack.

ThisIsLiving
10-06-2008, 07:40 PM
.... yea the rut must be running a bit late this year bc of the weird weather>??>

browningboy
10-06-2008, 08:07 PM
.... yea the rut must be running a bit late this year bc of the weird weather>??>

It's always within a week I find, with all the years in chasing the buggers I find the first week of Oct a solid bet they are talking and one tends to see the smaller second rut near the end of oct, seems to be natures way of late winter calf survival.

Ltbullken
10-06-2008, 09:30 PM

Weather has nothing to do with the rut. It's the difference in sunlight during fall that triggers the rut, warm or cold. ;)

talver
10-06-2008, 09:51 PM
Anyone know if the moose are rutting hard around tumbler? Im asking because I heard from a friend that just got back from a LEh hunt from 7-18 that it was super warm and the moose were not even calling, heard one cow call the last day he was up there?

rishu_pepper
10-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Gonna try to fill my moose tag in Region 7 this weekend, I'm stoked!

If I understand the regs correctly, I am allowed to harvest either:

a) calf moose
b) spike-fork moose (no more than 2 tines on ONE antler, so if it's a 3x2, 4x2, 5x2 etc., it is still fair game as long as one side is 2?)

No shooting a 10-point bull, correct?

PGK
10-07-2008, 12:14 AM

a) calf moose
b) spike-fork moose (no more than 2 tines on ONE antler, so if it's a 3x2, 4x2, 5x2 etc., it is still fair game as long as one side is 2?)

What MU will you be hunting? Send a message

browningboy
10-07-2008, 09:25 AM

a) calf moose

You're correct for 7-A only, but check for local MU for openings to be sure.

rishu_pepper
10-07-2008, 10:47 AM
7-A, yes. :cool:

The Dawg
10-07-2008, 10:59 AM
7-A, yes. :cool:

2pts or LESS per side.... so a 3x1 is ok as well.

rishu_pepper
10-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Good stuff. Will hopefully bag a moosey, big or small. :D

GoatGuy
10-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Called first bull moose in sept 12th - swam across a lake grunting the whole way. They've been going hard ever since.

good luck

Wrayzer
10-07-2008, 03:56 PM
My group called in a nice sized bull this morning with cow calls, came charging in about 20 yards away grunting nonstop. Dropped him filling my Leh draw.

browningboy
10-07-2008, 08:58 PM
My group called in a nice sized bull this morning with cow calls, came charging in about 20 yards away grunting nonstop. Dropped him filling my Leh draw.

thats what dreams are made of!