PDA

View Full Version : need tips on hunting deer with a shotgun

nano
10-05-2008, 10:47 AM
If there is anyone out there who has used a shotgun to hunt deer can you help me buy giving me some tips. also is a 1oz slug bigger then a # 1 buck shot. :?:

THANKS

rifleman
10-05-2008, 10:55 AM
If you are using ssg & your shotgun will take 3", use 3" magnum ooo buck shot & don't shoot more that 40 yards. good luck.

elkdom
10-05-2008, 11:05 AM
buckshot are 'pellets' depending on the 'gauge' of your shot gun you have about 7/8 to 1 and 7/8 ounces of these pellets in your shell, effective on deer out to about 30 yards, slug is just that,"one" big ugly gob of lead! a single projectile! with a slug "barrel" your good to shoot deer out to about 50 yards,again the gauge of your shot gun will make the differance in how heavy your slugs will be !!

Jelvis
10-05-2008, 12:50 PM
I got experience on blacktail with 12 guage with buck shot and it drops them at close range but they get up again tho so I like rifles. Jel

ratherbefishin
10-05-2008, 01:52 PM
I prefer rifle or a slug-but some places you HAVE to use buckshot and a simple rule on buckshot-don't shoot farther than you can throw a rock.The trouble with long shots with buckshot is it kills allright-sometimes a week later

10-05-2008, 03:14 PM
You MUST pattern your shotgun with buckshot. Use different brands of shells and try IC and MOD chokes. I haven't had the greatest luck with Full choke. You can also try 00 and 000 buck. My brother just shot a deer on Vancouver Island in a shotgun with shot only zone. When he was patterning some loads would put only 1 or 2 pellets into an 8" circle at 25 yards. That's why you need to pattern!

nano
10-05-2008, 03:52 PM
I was going to use a rifle but I found out yesterday that it was not registerd. In bc can you use slugs. Also thanks for all the tips.

nano

Jelvis
10-05-2008, 04:03 PM
A slug is a single projectile. In some areas hunting is open in the local bush and hills and it is designated shot only and, single projectiles are prohibited, so check the area boundaries where you want to hunt in, for current regulations and by-laws. Jelly.

nano
10-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Jelvis do you know what the by-laws are in 8-22 and 8-23.

TimberPig
10-05-2008, 04:28 PM
I was going to use a rifle but I found out yesterday that it was not registerd. In bc can you use slugs. Also thanks for all the tips.

nano

If the rifle is not registered, and you have a PAL, why not simply register it. Or since there is an amnesty covering unregistered non restricted firearms for PAL/POL holders, make sure you have all the info written down and simply go hunting. Rarely are you even checked for registration certs, and if you were, they could seize the gun. If it got that far, simply call in and register the gun and go pick it up from the cops.

You can use slugs anywhere you can use a rifle in BC. You must use a 20 ga or larger shotgun, and they are restricted to deer, black bears, cougars wolves or other smaller game.

Check the hunting regs, in paper or online to determine what you can or cannot use in the area you wish to hunt.

Jelvis
10-05-2008, 04:28 PM
No I don't nano, sorry. If the area you're hunting in is open for hunting deer with rifle for instance it would be in the backroads and not in a congested area, or within city limits etc. Single projectile is a slug or bullet. Nothing wrong with shotgun for deer but check reg's on minimum guage and use buck shot not birdshot.
Check the BC Hunting Synopsis for minimum gauge for deer etc. And local area where you hunt for particulars if in doubt about restrictions on shooting. Good bye for now.
Jel

nano
10-05-2008, 04:47 PM
we did. they told us 10 days to 2 weeks. also we leave on thur at 3pm.

TimberPig
10-05-2008, 05:30 PM
we did. they told us 10 days to 2 weeks. also we leave on thur at 3pm.

Are you saying you have started the registration process and it will be a couple weeks until they are done? If so I'd go hunting with the rifle. You're in the process of trying to comply and very unlikely to have any issues.

If it will simply be a couple weeks until your certs arrive, but they're already in the system, then go hunting, they can look them up.

huntwriter
10-05-2008, 05:33 PM
If there is anyone out there who has used a shotgun to hunt deer can you help me buy giving me some tips. also is a 1oz slug bigger then a # 1 buck shot. :?:

THANKS

I have hunted lots of deer with shotguns and love it. I started with a normal smooth bore pump action shot gun fitted with a rifled choke tube, but advanced quickly to a ceterfire rifle type shotgun like the Custom Tar-Hunt RSG 12 gauge. This is the best slug gun money can buy ($1’500 to $2000). Another option is the more economically priced ($400 to $500) but very highly rated Savage 210F Slug Warrior from Savage Arms. The 210F is the one I own and shoot for over ten years and it a very good gun.

The difference between a regular shotgun and centerfire slug gun are distance and accuracy. A centerfire slug gun has a rifled barrel and lets you shoot slug sabots that are accurate with plenty of knocking power out to 100 yards and slightly over.

A regular shotgun needs to be fitted with a rifled slug choke and that will get you to about 70 yards, with the average shot taken been around 50 yards. Provided you shoot a lot at the range to become proficient with this somewhat temperamental setup.

A 1oz slug is a lot bigger than #1 buckshot pellet. A slug is also a much better choice for deer hunting than buckshot. Buckshot is only good at short range, not much over 40 yards. Personally I never used buckshot other than at the range for field-testing and never will recommend it for hunting. I recommend a slug. Slugs make big holes and you will never have to track a deer, most deer will be knocked off their feet from a slug on the spot and stay down. this is not so with buckshot where deer often run for ever until they finally expire. I shoot the Lightfield Hybred-Elite 12 gauge, 3” sabot shell, loaded with a 1-1/4 oz slug and have never been disappointed wit it.

nano
10-05-2008, 08:01 PM
thanks for all the tips. timberpig if i call the cfc will they tell me if i am registored. and for huntwriter will a smoth barrel win 101 work with slugs.

thanks nano.

TimberPig
10-05-2008, 08:14 PM
So long as you have a PAL, they should be able to tell you the status on the registration for the rifle. Often it is done right there on the phone while you wait, but if they told you it could take a few days it may be in progress, or it could be done by now. I'd give them a call. I wouldn't not use the gun if you are in the process of registering it. I'd go and take any reference numbers etc they have given you along if you do get checked.

The Winchester should work, provided you use "rifled" Foster style slugs, not sabots or others intended for rifled barrels. The smooth bore will limit you to shots not much over 50 yards.

10-05-2008, 08:39 PM
BTW - the best slug I have ever tried for smooth bore (my 2 shotguns) is Federal Tru-Ball. Thay were by far the most accurate.

huntwriter
10-05-2008, 09:11 PM
...huntwriter will a smoth barrel win 101 work with slugs.

thanks nano.
I don’t see why not, as long as the barrel is drilled to accept different choke tubes. In that case get a good quality rifled choke tube (slug choke) and practice a lot with it at the range using different brands of slugs until you find the one that shoots best out of your gun.

If the barrel has a fixed choke have a gunsmith fix it so you can use screw in choke tubes. Keep the shots under 50 yards and you will be fine.

nano
10-06-2008, 05:35 PM
can i buy most of these slugs at wal-mart.

TimberPig
10-06-2008, 06:25 PM
can i buy most of these slugs at wal-mart.

Wal Mart primarily carries Winchester ammo, so anything else is unlikely to be found there. A good gun shop is a better bet.

nano
10-06-2008, 08:39 PM
problemo is i arrive in vernon thursday night and wal-mart is open till midnight.

TimberPig
10-07-2008, 06:45 AM
Buy them where you are at then. You still have to sight the gun in, you can't just stuff some slugs in and go hunting.

ratherbefishin
10-07-2008, 07:15 AM
While I would definately prefer to use a slug-some areas REQUIRE ''shotguns with shot only'',and the buckshot rule of thumb applies-don't shoot farther than you can throw a rock