PDA

View Full Version : Re-Stocking the Freezer

Four Point
10-05-2008, 09:58 AM
I left home excited about the season. There is room for a couple of small deer or one big one, and some salmon in the freezer. Just getting out of Vancouver was a hassle. Long line ups at the gas stations, every FSR had a truck, camper, ATV parked at the end of it. That’s what happens when you try to hunt within 2 hours of Vancouver. I finally found a nice unclaimed 5 acre cutblock with a nice draw down the middle and a big knoll at the end. One road in/One road out. Perfect. Set up camp and headed out for an evening hunt. Spotted 3 does right at dusk; a good sign. The next morning I was patiently sitting waiting for the sunrise as I could hear something up at the top of the cutblock working its way thru. As shooting light appeared everything disappeared. Around 11am I worked my way down to the big knoll and sure enough bedded right on top were the 3 does. I watched them watch me for ½ hour until I was sure there was no buck. At least I thought so. Working back to the draw I crawled my way up into the timber to try to get behind them. The wind was in my favour but boy was the ground ever dry. I arrived in time to see them slip over the top of the knoll and out of site. Just then from behind me I heard thump thump thump, then nothing. Finding the biggest Xmas tree I tucked in behind, pulled out my Come-Here-Deer call and let out 2 bleets. Within seconds I detected movement in front of me. I waited for over 20 minutes for something to happen but nothing. Another 2 bleets got the deer to move. As the deer moved towards me I spotted horn. Not big but still horn. Yippee. At 75 yards he knew something was wrong and would not move from behind a Xmas tree. So the standstill continued. Finally 1 more small bleat and out he stepped to see where his girls went. One shot thru the neck and a little dance on my part.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Hunt_BC_Muly.JPG

The next day I was on the Vedder Canal fishing for Springs with 100 other fishermen. The weather was great, the fish were cooperating, and I landed 13. I took home 3 Springs. No Coho.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Hunt_BC_Fishing.jpg

The freezer is starting to fill up. Tight lines and straight shooting.

Blainer
10-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Sounds like you faired well.That any buck season brings everybody out of the wood work.I don't give any consideration to weekends anymore.
Glad to hear you did well.

CooperSscat
10-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Nice work Four Point! Blacktail or muley or cross?

Jeremy

Dirty
10-05-2008, 11:10 AM
I
The next day I was on the Vedder Canal fishing for Springs with 100 other fishermen. The weather was great, the fish were cooperating, and I landed 13. I took home 3 Springs. No Coho.
The freezer is starting to fill up. Tight lines and straight shooting.

Good job on the buck. How big were the springs you kept?

Four Point
10-05-2008, 06:34 PM
BLAINER: Thanks man. I don't blame you about getting out on the weekends.
COOPERSSCAT: Cheers. Thanks. The buck was a Muley and so were the does.
DIRTY: I caught a couple in the 30 lb range but they were starting to turn. The ones that I kept were 18, 20 & 22 lbs. All 3 were chromies.

shoot to kill
10-05-2008, 08:31 PM
BLAINER: Thanks man. I don't blame you about getting out on the weekends.
COOPERSSCAT: Cheers. Thanks. The buck was a Muley and so were the does.
DIRTY: I caught a couple in the 30 lb range but they were starting to turn. The ones that I kept were 18, 20 & 22 lbs. All 3 were chromies.

you kept 3 adult springs in one day? your only allowed 1....

reach
10-06-2008, 12:11 AM

The limit in the Vedder is 4 per day, but only 1 over 62 cm. I guess the 18 and 20 pounders were very very fat jacks... :sad:

NaStY
10-06-2008, 06:18 AM

Ya kind of what i was thinking too.

Dirty
10-06-2008, 06:50 AM
Even if he fished over 2 or 3 days camping out the possession limit is 2 days catch. Any way you slice it the regulations were broken. The greed and lack of ethics displayed on the Vedder/Chilliwack is absolutely disgusting. The stuff that goes on out there is enough to make a guy want to quit fishing. These things include: snagging, flossing, overlimiting, and slitting fish for roe. Although the Vedder/Chilliwack is a put and take hatchery system they should put in place a limit such as Steelhead. 1 Salmon per day and once you have killed it you are done.

harder rd
10-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Even if he fished over 2 or 3 days camping out the possession limit is 2 days catch. Any way you slice it the regulations were broken. The greed and lack of ethics displayed on the Vedder/Chilliwack is absolutely disgusting. The stuff that goes on out there is enough to make a guy want to quit fishing. These things include: snagging, flossing, overlimiting, and slitting fish for roe. Although the Vedder/Chilliwack is a put and take hatchery system they should put in place a limit such as Steelhead. 1 Salmon per day and once you have killed it you are done.
I live within walking distance of the vedder and will not fish it . I can not find any fun in standing in line to cast. I do not know what could be done to lower the numbers of fishing rods on the river @ a time , but I do think that we should try some thing. Can any one like fishing like that ? or is it just the meet? I onced fished the york river in the Gaspe . There you had to go to the fisheries office each day to see if you were drawn to fish that day, and if you were one of the lucky ones there was a fee for that day. and they told you wich pool that you could fish. I am not saying thats what we should do not at all. I do not even know if it is still like that .but I do know that they are trying things to make it better. and I am all for that.

Mr. Dean
10-06-2008, 11:41 AM
I live within walking distance of the vedder and will not fish it . I can not find any fun in standing in line to cast. I do not know what could be done to lower the numbers of fishing rods on the river @ a time , but I do think that we should try some thing. Can any one like fishing like that ?

Can't say as I do. I enjoy salt-chuckin' far more. :wink:
But for some, this is as good as it gets and is the only access they have (river/estuary/shore fishing).

Dirty.... Can't say as I'm 'up' on the river reg's - No comment.

NaStY
10-06-2008, 06:11 PM
Even if he fished over 2 or 3 days camping out the possession limit is 2 days catch. Any way you slice it the regulations were broken. The greed and lack of ethics displayed on the Vedder/Chilliwack is absolutely disgusting. The stuff that goes on out there is enough to make a guy want to quit fishing.

I couldn't agree more.

I dont fish the vedder much any more. Met some friends out there friday night and fished total 45min. What a joke.

Last year was 7hrs total and most of it was alone. Previous yrs was many days without too much problem.

NOW forget it.