PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me?

brotherjack
10-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Or is this just the worst/slowest year of hunting around Cranbrook in the last 5 or 6 years? I just ain't seeing nothin' at all in all the spots I usually see critters. I have never had a whitetail tag last the whole month of september before, and while elk hunting has never been good for me, I usually at least see a few once in a while.

Oh well, it's probably just the warm weather. Maybe we'll get a good hard freeze real-soon-now and things will pick up.

kgs
10-04-2008, 06:45 PM
Feel the same way in PG saw lots of cows in the beginning of Sept but in the last couple of weeks nothin not even a grouse. Figures now that I am on vacation lol.

Steeleco
10-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Same in Reg 8 right at the west boundary. Maybe all this crazy weather is messing up the critters.

A co-workers hubby is in the Koots with his first Elk LEH. She tells me he's got a tan and wearing shirt and shorts, hasn't seen a thing.

Kody94
10-04-2008, 07:01 PM
I can't really say as I have not been out, but I have had the opposite impression. Seems everybody I know has been into 6 point bulls, and a number of really good ones have been taken...as many if not more than usual for my friends/coworkers by this time of the year.

Cheers
4ster

J_T
10-04-2008, 07:21 PM
BJ,

I hunt the Ek, and this year was absolutely the most phenomenal bow only season I have experienced. In 9 days of bow only we selected a different bull every day and got in, under 50 yards on over 15 bulls.

Saw lots of cows, but with the bull action, coming in to the bugle and being visible and vocal, we focused completely on bulls. I hunted a lot of different areas. Ground I had been hiking and riding the mtn bike in or looking at through the eyes of Google, all year. Every location I went in to, fresh sign, and active bulls. Not trying to impress here. Just that you asked the question.

For those that take observations, not one of those bulls was a six point. Some huge 5 pts though. I'm concerned that we continue to hunt our six's and I'm not supportive of a 5 or better season.

brotherjack
10-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Sigh... that's more bulls than I've seen in the last 3 years put together (and only slightly less than I've seen in 6 years). How the heck do you do that?!?!?!

Kody94
10-04-2008, 07:51 PM
BroJack, pls DON'T take this as rubbing salt in your wounds, just trying to provide some more incentive and examples to help you keep your chin up...

One of my co-workers was into bugling bulls 3 times afterwork this week. He even had 3 different bulls going at once. He came into my office at 5 PM on Wednesday and gave me every opportunity to go with him as it was close to town and very easy walking (apparently even for a guy that still has to wear flip-flops!), but I couldn't....had other commitments I couldn't get out of. Last week the same guy was out with a buddy of his and they got a great 300 class bull.

Other guys in our office have been hearing bugles all season. My bosses boss, a coworker and a friend of theirs shot a 6 point bull near town on Wednesday morning. They supposedly have two other 6 points on the go.

My buddies camped out at Koocanusa during the last full week of Sept all saw and had chances at 6 point bulls.

There are others too...

If they can do it, so can you...just keep on trying man. When your slump ends they likely start coming in droves!

Cheers
4Ster

elkdom
10-04-2008, 08:11 PM
go back to the basic rules, north east slopes,the coolest places for elk,willows,new growth, springs,wallows,licks, near heavy cover,all hidding spots!!!unseasonal warm weather seems to have things working a bit odd this season,yet when you "click" its crazy out there, just have to have 'faith'! they ARE OUT THERE! good luck!

brotherjack
10-04-2008, 08:23 PM
As I've said many times in threads before, I am obviously doing something very very (very) wrong as an elk hunter, and nobody has ever been able to tell me what it is, or describe/explain elk hunting in such a way as it would clue me in as to what I'm supposed to be doing differently. To summarize - over the last 6 years, I've logged around 200 days in the bush (in areas where I know there's elk - I can tell from all the elk poop/tracks and all the guys driving out of the bush with elk in their trucks!), tried every one of the dozens of tips/techniques anyone's ever told me, and the net result of all that effort is, that I've had two fluke encounters with legal bulls that were just accidental encounters (ie: I stumbled into them), and I've spent pushing 90% of my days hunting elk never actually seeing an elk.

But really, elk hunting always sucks for me - I wouldn't have bothered to start yet another thread about that (though it is true that I have seen less elk this year than in any previous year). What I started this thread about was less about elk, and more about deer/critters in general. Usually, I see deer by the dozens; this year, I'd say deer sightings are down a good 70% from what I'm used to seeing during September. Also, there are a whole bunch of spots that have ALWAYS held critters in years past that, this year, seem devoid of life - not even any fresh sign. ??

Is it just me??

elkdom
10-04-2008, 08:56 PM
some times hunting just can turn to poop! I spent last 3 weeks taking friends from southern BC, out for elk in 7-20 a, for any bull over 3 points or antlerless, been putting my 6X hunts on hold!! first group of 2 friends, 6 days hunting elk, one missed shot at 6x6, one killed antlerless, and one black timber wolf killed! next 2 buddies out with me shot one antlerless second day out, then 5 more days seeing elk but not connecting, I am out yesterday cow calling for buddy,we get into ELK!! buddy shoots antlerless at about 100 yards in bush stalk, I am using cow calls in small meadows with tall grass about 4 feet high, he shoots!! elk drops !! seconds later elk stands up!! buddy wacks elk again!! elk drops!! stays down this time , we walk up! and big suprize !!!! 2 friggen dead antlerlress elk! CRAPP what now?? buddy has elk tag, so do I but I am only helping him find antlerless! I want to keep hunting for my Trophy BULL !! , but only alternative is to CUT my tag! or buddy has to call in and report himself for exceeding his limit!! so I choose to cut my tag! my hunting 6X elk HUNT is DONE!for this season, I have great yearling for freezer but my hunt is OVER! for this season! I am not happy!! I had a lot of 'ELK' fun this fall, but not as much as I was hoping for!!

lunatic
10-04-2008, 09:24 PM
O.K. now that REALLY sucks ! What else could you do though? Could be worth a friendship I suppose, after all.....it IS elk hunting:biggrin:. Sorry about the crap luck Elkdom. BJ..... I haven't been having a great year myself. Took 2 weeks off work at the usual time and this year it was just in time for unseasonably warm weather AND a full moon. Not the greatest time. Had some action but not even close to the norm. The moose action was good though. Called out some nice bulls just for kicks and managed to see a monster 60"+ one morning. Didn't even buy a moose tag this year as I didn't need the meat. Oh well, I'm taking another week off about mid month so hopefully with the colder weather that is bound to come I will connect yet. I never give up that's for sure. Good luck and keep trying. It will happen eventually.

Ddog
10-05-2008, 01:33 AM
well the first week of the archery season, saw lots of cow/calf elk and had six bulls in the first day and a half, the largest being a 6x6. the past month i have passed on several substantial WT bucks (in bow range) and lots of small 3 points and smaller.
as for elk as of late its been real fun talking with them!! seen lots of bulls out of bow range but well within the limits of a gun. and a few real monster bulls.
cheers BJ.......ddog

J_T
10-05-2008, 04:16 AM
BJ,
Perhaps you, SSSSTer and myself should find time for a coffee or lunch. He and I both travel quite a bit so timing would be the issue. If you aren't in a hurry, we can pull it together. While the 4ster is still recovering, I have no trouble getting out into the bush. I'm a bit busy at work right now, but we can hike offseason, talk, explore and generally do some good reconnaissance.

I look at it this way. Hunting season is 356 days long. The killing season is 9 days of exquisite, bow only. That comes from lots of work offseason.

JT

mark4
10-05-2008, 08:13 AM
Brotherjack- I have found that those elk really are in the places we as humans don't like to go. Forget about driving around in your truck looking for one, or hunting areas with large amounts of hunters looking for the "easy bull". Elkdom is right about the cool dark areas on hot days- usually north facing slopes that don't get as much sun.Thick alders on steep slopes with creeks in them are good too- rough terrain with growth and vegetation so thick you can hardly walk at times. The elk do however have game trails that weave in and out of these rough areas- so walking the trails isn't super bad but it still is bad lol. If you don't mind long hikes into some rough country- I would be willing to show you some elk action- the kind you have been looking for- I am off for a few days tryin to get a six point myself- I think it is high time you get one too- the hiking is pretty rough but the elk are there- PM me if you are interested.

10-05-2008, 09:45 AM
BJ, I feel your pain. Here are some stats froim the 2005 and 2006 MOE elk harvest reports for Region 4.

8500 to 9000 hunters hunt elk in region 4 each year exerting 65,000 to 70,000 hunter days of effort.

These hunters kill about 900 to 1100 bulls and 300 to 400 antlerless elk.

On average it takes the average hunter about 46 or 47 days of hunter effort to kill an elk. Every 6th hunter gets an elk, and every 9th hunter gets a 6pt bull. In other words you're not alone, lots of guys go home with un-cut elk tags, even locals who have dramatically better odds of success then all the out-of-area hunters.

On a side note: Elk hunting alone generates 3.8 to 4.0 millions dollars of economic activity annually in Region 4.

I'm no expert and I'm probably not qualified to give advice, but, I've killed 11 elk in 44 years of elk hunting, one every 4 years on average, but in the mid 1980's I had a five year streak where I killed an elk every year. If you take those 5 years out of the equation it took me on average, 39 years to kill the remaining 6 elk, or 6.5 years of elk hunting to kill each elk. I'm not the most proficient elk hunter around either as you can see, and I've had some stretches where I obsessed over sheep and mule deer and didn't put much effort into elk hunting. I also did nearly all of my elk hunting north of Radium where elk hunting is not the best in the EK. I've never killed a bull that scores more then 300 and I've never killed a bull with a bow.

The real point is, elk hunting is never easy, even if you live in one of the best elk hunting areas in Canada.

There has been two common denominators that I believe were instrumental in the modest success I've had with hunting elk.

The first is know your area. Nearly all the elk I've shot were within a couple miles of each other in two specific locations. Find a spot you like and hunt it year after year until you know it like your back yard. Learn where the best feeding areas are, where the favoured bedding areas are, what the travel routes in between these are, what the escape routes are, where they hang out when they're been spooked, where they hang out under different weather conditions and at different times of the season, etc. Any hunting area is dynamic in that it's constantly changing and elk patterns and habits change with it. New roads are built, new cut blocks emerge, old cutblocks grow over, food sources, movement patterns, and bedding areas change in reponse to this. If you're not there every year keeping track of these changes you soon loose touch and pretty soon it's not a honey hole anymore. I always kept a detailed map of my area and kept it up-dated from year to year and noted all important information. I never showed my maps to anyone I couldn't trust.

The other common denominator is to pick a spot and develop your own personal honey-hole not just based on elk density alone, but more importantly based on hunter density. My two spots were by design, areas where I did not have a whole lot of interference from other hunters, both were quite difficult areas to get in and out of, and more than on one occasion I had to spool out the winch line. One undisturbed bull is worth more and offers a much higher chance of success then a dozen bulls that get chased and bugled at every day.

We all have our streaks and slumps. The important thing is to not get over-confident when you're on a streak, because a sure as hell is hot it's going to end some day. Don't get down on yourself or fall into the trap of blaming elk management or other hunters when you're in a slump like so many do, because if you're putting the effort in that slump is also guaranteed to end some day. One thing is for sure, when you get your next elk you will appreciate if all that much more.

chola
10-05-2008, 09:58 AM
3 elk in 15 years for me brotherjack...BUT....it's just not about the killing, it's being out there that is more important to me than anything..harvesting an animal is just a bonus

You'll find the elk around here in the oddest places..I spooked a bunch this morning about 50 meters off of the higway in a stand of timber...one raghorn and another one that I couldn't get a count on...they were bedding down around 9 AM...when ya consdier where they were,they had excellent cover,food sources on either side of the highway and water on the low side....I dunno what made me go there,but there were no roads to get into it, was 5 minutes outta town...so I figured I go for a quick hike..worked out great,gonna keep sneaking in there until the seaon closes or until I smack one...I guess what I am saying is check all the places that most people wouldn't think of.

sparky300winmag
10-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Hey Brother,I just got back and I feel your pain .I've been hunting elk in the EK for the last 6 years and still can't connect with a bull.
I didn't get a bull to answer until the last morning and he was within a couple hundred yards by the sound of him,he sounded like a hog too!But nothing materialized.The area was down in the timber on a river bottom.The same morning my buds spotted 2 other bulls 1/2 a KM away on the same river,one turned out to be a 5pt and the other was a 6pt .We were going to hunt the 6pt, but turned out there was another hunting group trying to hunt him already.
Not that we ( the hunting group) didn't have any luck.My brother and my two other buddies tagged a few 6pts.
The Whitetail count was very low compared to other years.A guide we met up there told us there were far too many cougers in the area.So another elk tag gets unused.Maybe next year.

burger
10-05-2008, 01:21 PM
some times hunting just can turn to poop! I spent last 3 weeks taking friends from southern BC, out for elk in 7-20 a, for any bull over 3 points or antlerless, been putting my 6X hunts on hold!! first group of 2 friends, 6 days hunting elk, one missed shot at 6x6, one killed antlerless, and one black timber wolf killed! next 2 buddies out with me shot one antlerless second day out, then 5 more days seeing elk but not connecting, I am out yesterday cow calling for buddy,we get into ELK!! buddy shoots antlerless at about 100 yards in bush stalk, I am using cow calls in small meadows with tall grass about 4 feet high, he shoots!! elk drops !! seconds later elk stands up!! buddy wacks elk again!! elk drops!! stays down this time , we walk up! and big suprize !!!! 2 friggen dead antlerlress elk! CRAPP what now?? buddy has elk tag, so do I but I am only helping him find antlerless! I want to keep hunting for my Trophy BULL !! , but only alternative is to CUT my tag! or buddy has to call in and report himself for exceeding his limit!! so I choose to cut my tag! my hunting 6X elk HUNT is DONE!for this season, I have great yearling for freezer but my hunt is OVER! for this season! I am not happy!! I had a lot of 'ELK' fun this fall, but not as much as I was hoping for!!

You should watch what you post on here as the HBC saints may have already made a call.:):)

elkdom
10-05-2008, 09:27 PM
You should watch what you post on here as the HBC saints may have already made a call.:):)

There is absolutly nothing for anyone to make a CALL on ! nothing was done outside of the BC Wildlife statutes, we were hunting together, we all had elk tags, what is your concern? I do not not understand, there is no issue other than I had to use(cut) my tag for an antlerless yearling elk, I prefer to kill my own elk, and that is a 6x6 or better, I like the challenge. Most of my friends havent shot elk before, so I am thier 'go to guy' for elk, all is legal! but I do admit it gets a bit tiring after a few weeks up at 4am and not in bed till midnight! but thats elk hunting! you dont find elk while your home warm in bed.