PDA

View Full Version : Elk hunting

tom
10-04-2008, 05:46 AM
As I shall be 65 next season my partner and I are going to try for a cow elk. We are considering Creston area. As neither one of us have any experience in elk hunting we would be obligated if any help is coming our way. Thank you. Tom

10-04-2008, 01:14 PM
As I shall be 65 next season my partner and I are going to try for a cow elk. We are considering Creston area. As neither one of us have any experience in elk hunting we would be obligated if any help is coming our way. Thank you. Tom

The Creston area is OK but I would go to the main Trench area south of Cranbrook. Just stay away from the Cranbrook City Fields as that area is a real zoo and will be no fun, maybe even dangerous. Also you could consider the Land Owner/Hunter Enfranchizement pilot hunt at Grasmere (contact info in the regulations). Also download the 1100 meter x-zone map from the MOE site and be careful to stay within the zone. The x-zone/bow zone/LEH zone/Jr-Sr GOS zone is the same and link is below as well as in the regulations. You guys will have a great time, just take it easy and don't get caught up in the frenzy that tends to develop at that time of year.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/docs/elk_1100m_0708maps/Elk_BowOnly_Zone_X.pdf

Phreddy
10-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Sounds like there are going to be a few of us doing the 65 shuffle for elk next year. I've paid my dues going through the transition from open seasons to LEH, to mature bull only hunts, and am really lookiing forward to doing the Kootenay Sr. thing.
If we meet up, maybe we can have a coffee or something.

steepNdeep
10-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Creston is alright, but there are better spots further east. Call the CO's and they usually have a list of farmers that want the elk "pests' shot and chased off their fields. Good luck - it should be fun!