PDA

View Full Version : 8-23,8-24, seeing much? I'm not

thepitchedlink
10-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Hey, been pounding the logging roads, cuts and power lines for a week now, glassing from the truck and hiking up and in, always in position before daybreak....I'm not seeing a thing!! Anyone else been out this way, or am I just having a bit o' bad luck. thanks

ThisIsLiving
10-03-2008, 07:25 PM
8-22 and 8-23 ive been out and about quite a bit and have seen pleanty must be the wrong area or your just have some bad luck.... ive even seen about 20 moose this season in those two regions since.... sept 9th .... what logging roads have u been on ??

thepitchedlink
10-04-2008, 10:24 AM
Lumby, Cherryville, Coldstream area...

dunbartr
10-05-2008, 10:15 PM
I have been working out Nelson, Mabel and Greenbush way for most of August and September and haven't seen much for deer at all.... Lots of Moose out and about though. Of course we are always travelling to and from in the mid morning and late afternoon. I was up in Kamloops area this Sat & Sun and didn't see much either.... Lost of Moose again though... too bad out LEH is for region 7!

I know those areas well. They are all good areas... just have to find the right spot(s) and spend some "quality" time there. Stick with the spots you think are good. Patience is key.... don't always be so eager to walk to that next ridge line, or drive to that next spot.

Keep at it and Good luck!

winbuckhunter
10-06-2008, 01:23 AM
head up aberdeen main.. turn left on nicklenlake road.. go across the bridge and up the otherside on the valley the first clearing you go through is kinda over grown but hilly if you find a high vantage point and watch that area the deer move all day through there to getthe the creek at the bottom.. if that dont work keep goin up the road a few kms theres a freshly cut clearing, its been good in there.. and your next left after that is good aswell..

i know how hard it is sometimes to fing the deer, so have fun and post pics when you get one..

winbuckhunter
10-06-2008, 01:35 AM
you gotta hike im tellin ya.. or you wont see them, i mean you might see some does from the truck

ThisIsLiving
10-06-2008, 05:58 AM
lol aberdeen main haha.... if u get off the main road.... off of nickelen main at km 17 i think it is take a left.... nice clearings in there seen a few moose and almost every time i go in there i see at least 10 doe's or soo..... bucks are around

thepitchedlink
10-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Thanks Gents, appreciate the advice, just got back from 2 days in Galloping hills, beauty country. Saw a big Grizz within the first hour, but no deer. Saw some sign and dropping but no deer, then found the wolf tracks. Spotted a big sliver wolf that night while out spotting so I figure that has the deer moving out....oh well, still a good place to go for a stroll. thanks again

thepitchedlink
08-21-2009, 07:00 PM
Well, time to resurrect the old thread, anyone seeing things scouting in 8-23,24,25. I'm seeing a fair number of does in fields, no decent bucks yet, anyone else?

08-21-2009, 07:57 PM
I live in 8-22 .....seeing a fair amount of game.

bad arrow
08-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Its too warm to see much game during the day, they like the cool of the evening. If your seeing game during the day then its a good area, there's lots of game this year, just wait till it cools off.

nano
08-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Anyone been up to oyama yet.

GoatGuy
08-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Sit and glass in the morn and evenings. There's deer all over those areas. If you aren't seeing them don't hike so much and do more glassing.

sarnold
08-23-2009, 08:23 PM
I was out today and hiked around mtn Beaven and went to the summit, left the truck at 745 and returned at noon........saw one doe.....thats it!! We hiked the old burned out area and the meadows on top. Some sign of deer/bear/moose but sure didn't see much considering we might have been the only people through that area since the fire in 03

GoatGuy
08-23-2009, 08:46 PM
I was out today and hiked around the south/west side of mtn Beaven and went to the summit, left the truck at 745 and returned at noon........saw one doe.....thats it!! We hiked the old burned out area and the meadows on top. Some sign of deer/bear/moose but sure didn't see much considering we might have been the only people through that area since the fire in 03

HAHAHAHAHAHA, do you know what human footprints look like?

300H&H
08-23-2009, 08:55 PM
I think 8-18 is going to be the hot spot in reg 8 this year !
Just drive the roads.
Lots of animals !!!
Very easy hunt.
Great for newbies.
Jelvis knows the area inside out.

sarnold
08-23-2009, 09:25 PM
ok someone else has....you know that mtn beaven area well?
we hiked in from the currie creek side.
do you know of any animals being taken from that area?

GoatGuy
08-23-2009, 10:20 PM
ok someone else has....you know that mtn beaven area well?
we hiked in from the currie creek side.
do you know of any animals being taken from that area?

There are animals taken everywhere.

Lots of two-legged animals in that country.

Not my first, second or third choice for spots in region 8. It's a busy place in Sept. Watch the trails when you're hiking. There will be plenty of competition.

Have fun!

sarnold
08-24-2009, 04:38 AM
I would agree, although we saw sign everywhere there where no places that we saw that looked like good hunting holes, and tough to get an animal out the way we hiked! (we never where on any trails tons of fallen trees)

Little Hawk
08-24-2009, 06:20 AM
Hunted up that way (South of Cherryville) a few years back (8 or 9) and it ended up being another 'Bear Story'.

Big chocolate griz spooked my buddy one afternoon while we were on a mountain side about a mile from/above camp. The bear seemed on a mission and trotted right past him at 40 yds or so... in the direction of our camp.

This concerned me because we had 3-bucks hanging low to the ground. Not my idea. Just four days earlier I questioned my buddies cousin - our guide so to speak who lived in Lumby - about hanging the game so close to the ground, citing 'the Bear-thing' and he poo-pooed the idea saying that in the previous 25 yrs he'd not lost one deer to bears.

Well I guess you can fill in the blanks from here.

That big Griz that spooked the 'Fear of God' into my buddy up on that mountain sure enough made a bee-line for our camp and helped himself to the biggest of the three bucks we offered to him. The good part about it was that the deer he chose was shot by my buddies cousin - the guide.

We all learned something on that trip: "HANG-EM HIGH!"