PDA

View Full Version : Elk in northern Sask?

sawmill
10-03-2008, 05:43 AM
Saw a couple Yanks heading home from a hunt with 2 of the biggest elk racks I have ever seen,one was a 400+ 9x8,the other a massive 6x6,Reminded me of that beast that guy shot on a high fence hunt last year.They said they got them in Sask.
High fence hunt,you think?I don`t know if elk are native to Sask.

mountainman
10-03-2008, 06:10 AM
There are elk in Northern Sask and some monsters but I would probably venture the guess that these were from a fenced hunt.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-03-2008, 06:38 AM
Odds are it was a canned hunt. Hormone induced, genetically modified antler growing machines......"Norsask" is one of these operations.

...but there are some elk in eastern Sask (Manitoban Elk-so I've been told) that have some of the biggest bodies going and racks to match.

SSS

Onesock
10-03-2008, 06:49 AM
There are elk in north west sask that rival any elk I have seen in BC. These elk are wild and live in some of the roughest country you have ever seen.

Blainer
10-03-2008, 07:43 AM
First thing that came to my mind,CANNED HUNT.I seen just such a monster in the taxidermists the other day,they told me Sask.,and then whispered canned hunt.

huntwriter
10-03-2008, 07:59 AM
There are some huge elk in northern Saskatchewan that roam wild. But there are also hunts available on elk ranches. It really doesn’t matter where the elks came from. If the two hunters you have seen smiled and were happy than that is all what really matters.;-)

recurvehunter
10-03-2008, 08:38 AM
I would guess high fence near love sask there is a well known high fenced farm-

whitetailsheds
10-03-2008, 08:51 AM
A friend recently filmed a ranched elk hunt for a bull approaching 600 inches!!! 589 comes to mind......and a whitetail close to 400! They're out there.....behind a fence...."Dare to dream Arnold, dare to dream". Both in Saskabush.

sawmill
10-03-2008, 10:17 AM
There are some huge elk in northern Saskatchewan that roam wild. But there are also hunts available on elk ranches. It really doesn’t matter where the elks came from. If the two hunters you have seen smiled and were happy than that is all what really matters.;-)
Their faces were sore from grinning.I wish I had my camera.These things made E K elk look like Whities.I`v never seen anything that massive in my life and I`v seen a lot of monsters from here.

riflebuilder
10-03-2008, 10:58 AM
big Elk big Dollars...Some guys like it the easy way some the hard to each his own. Canned hunts leave more Wild Elk for me on the rest of us. I am not against or for these operations.

wjh131
10-03-2008, 11:55 AM
There are elk north of Meadow Lake, in and around the provincial park, north of the beaver river, and there more than a few dandies up there.

Hot Shoe
10-03-2008, 07:38 PM
For sure a "ranched hunt" as there are no non-resident elk tags available in the wild in Saskatchewan. There are over 100 penned hunt operations running in the province. For under $10,000 you can shoot a 400" bull.

dukester
10-04-2008, 05:25 PM
For sure a "ranched hunt" as there are no non-resident elk tags available in the wild in Saskatchewan. There are over 100 penned hunt operations running in the province. For under $10,000 you can shoot a 400" bull.

yep i 2nd this.. and still don't understand it. why not spend the $$ and get a great guided wild hunt in B.C . better adventure forsure .

huntwriter
10-04-2008, 05:49 PM
yep i 2nd this.. and still don't understand it. why not spend the $$ and get a great guided wild hunt in B.C . better adventure forsure .

Some folks don’t want adventure they just like antlers. To each his/her own, it’s all good and legal.

flatlander
10-04-2008, 06:48 PM
being from Manitoba myself, I can attest to elk in both northern sask. and manitoba. some elk 'farms', but there are of wild ones. you only have to go as far north as roblin/swan river in manitoba to get yourself a proper elk hunt..elk head down from riding mountain south into my stopping grounds as well (mid/southern)....I imagine it's the same in saskatchewan....

knighthunter
10-06-2008, 05:23 AM
Lots of wild elk in Mb and sask. elk in mb are on a draw licence but in Sask iust buy a licence over the counter and go hunting, at least that's how it is 14 miles west of where I live.