PDA

View Full Version : Mature moose shot and left to rot in Region 3-12

coach
10-02-2008, 11:04 PM
While on a hunt today in region, my hunting partner and I came across the gruesome discovery of a mature bull moose that was shot and left to rot. The presence of ravens alerted us to a possible kill sight. The overwhelming smell of the rotting carcass told us right away that the animal had been abandoned. It appeared the bull had been shot at least a couple of days ago. With only spike/fork bulls open, it is obvious that someone shot this moose by "mistake". However, with 4 points on each side, this animal was no where close to being legal. It is unbelievable that anyone could make such an unethical error of judgment! It made both of us sick to see such a waste of what was previously a perfectly healthy animal. I called the "RAPP" line once we got back into cell range. It is unlikely that the person who did this will be caught. However, if they are, I hope they are prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

(There is a picture of this moose in my gallery. I am not sure how to put it into this thread.)

10-02-2008, 11:07 PM
That is sickening. I hope they get caught.

todbartell
10-02-2008, 11:20 PM
not a pretty sight - what a shame

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/dead_moose.JPG

Allen50
10-03-2008, 05:14 AM
what a wast, these are not real hunters if they can't fess up to what they did, mistakes are made, but to leave this, wast,,, it's to bad,,,,

sawmill
10-03-2008, 05:32 AM
what a wast, these are not real hunters if they can't fess up to what they did, mistakes are made, but to leave this, wast,,, it's to bad,,,,
I think more guys would fess up to an honest mistake if the CO`s didn`t slam them for a big fine everytime.Just the act of turning yourself in demonstrates your remorse and the animal could be salvaged and your tag would be cancelled.The meat could be given to a food bank.
Instead you get fined possibly lose your rifle and hunting privilages:shock:
Thats why guys shoot ,shovel and shut up.I don`t like to see that shit but that`s the CO`s fault too.

ianwuzhere
10-03-2008, 05:37 AM
i had a recent crappy experience this past week up north where a guy in a jeep had shot well after dark- 45min- we just happened to still be out there waitin for buddy to come to truck well into the dark. I didnt see a lamp but were not too far away. happends more then we hope coach. these 2 people took one shot and we didnt think much of it till we found a beautiful bull moose the following day.. makes me sad/mad same time...

coach
10-03-2008, 08:08 AM
I disagree that the CO's are in any way part of the problem here. In the past, people were hit hard for confessing to a mistake. Recently, I have read several threads on this website where people have stories about admitting to a mistake and being treated fairly by the CO. In this case, I don't understand how anybody could call this a "mistake". It is the hunters responsibility to clearly identify the animal. It is also the hunters responsibility to report any mistakes that are made. I have seen a few small bulls this year. Recently, I had one 50 yards away looking straight at me. Face on, it appeared that he only had spikes. I was glassing the animal with binoculars and my partner was to be the shooter. We both exercised patience and waited for the bull to turn his head. When he did, those "spikes" had 3 points on each side. Unless totally sure that the animal is legal, there is no way anybody should be shooting. In the case of the dead bull we found, he was on the outside of the tree line in a large cut block. There were several other cut blocks around, divided by narrow strips of trees. Even if he was running away, there would have very likely been another opportunity to observe him. I spoke with a friend who knows the Vernon CO fairly well. Apparently he has already confiscated 4 illegally shot bulls from "hunters" in our area. I really feel that this website is a great place for people to become educated about hunting - which is why I posted this story and the pictures. Hopefully better education will stop more of these incidents from happening.

swampdonkey
10-03-2008, 08:16 AM
we have found 2 3x3s this year so far along with to cow moose as well in 3-18 the co's have been contacted but not much they can do without any witnesses and a rotting carcas

jml11
10-03-2008, 08:20 AM
I think more guys would fess up to an honest mistake if the CO`s didn`t slam them for a big fine everytime.Just the act of turning yourself in demonstrates your remorse and the animal could be salvaged and your tag would be cancelled.The meat could be given to a food bank.
Thats why guys shoot ,shovel and shut up.I don`t like to see that shit but that`s the CO`s fault too.

You couldn't be wrong about this. Not CO's fault at all, they were not there and did not pull the trigger, 100% the hunters fault, they are responsible for ensuring they are shooting a legal animal.

I personally know a few CO's and have discussions with them all the time about this kind of stuff. If the hunter is honest and self reports a mistake, they are unlikely to be charged, unless the mistake is a big one. These CO's said they have only once charged someone for accidently shooting a bull that was not a spike-fork because this bull had paddles and 7 points a side:shock:...most of these bulls are three points and these CO's would never charge you if you brought it in on your own (unless you have done this more than once). They do this because they don't want the animals left to rot. At least if you bring it in, someone will get to eat it (goes to a shelter or needy family). The same applies when people accidently shoot small cows during calf season. I know several people who have done this and reported and they were never charged. But like I said you could probably only do this once, mutliple offenders will be charged most likely.

It's a COs discretion on what to do however and I'm just referencing what those from PG do.

The 'Hummer'
10-03-2008, 08:43 AM
There is some truth to what you've said. A long story short, I accidentally/mistakenly shot a Cow Moose when I was a young teen, and that was a while ago. Dad & I brought the meat out and reported the incident to the R.C.M.P. officer in the small town where we lived. It went to the local magistrate court where the CO from Prince George requested, the meat, my tag, hunting licience, confiscate my rifle plus a $100.oo fine. The magistrate countered we hadn't tried to hid the what had occurred and in fact we had reported it and had taken care of the meat. As such his decision or judgement was I surrender my Moose tag and the meat. He let me keep my licience, my rifle and no fine was imposed.

coach
10-03-2008, 09:03 AM
Hummer, it sounds like you did everything right after making an error. As I stated above, in the past, CO's went overboard when charging people who reported themselves. Because of decisions like the one the judge made, allowing you to keep your license and rifle with no fine, the mandate given to the CO's has changed. If whoever shot this moose reported the act, they would probably get away with little more than a slap on the wrist and a lesson learned. As mentioned above, the meat would go to people in need and a lesson would be learned. Unfortunately, there are still people out there who use poor judgment, shoot when they shouldn't and then pretend nothing ever happened. This is what is really wrong in this case. Again, I hope that bringing this matter up, discussing it in this forum and getting hunters talking to each other about the issue will help stop these things from happening again.

Huey
10-03-2008, 09:14 AM
Are you guys for real!!?? Yeah its the CO's fault that you shot an illegal animal and its rotting away right now. Grab some balls and face up for what you've done. It's the CO's fault for holding up the law and doing his job!!?? If your looking for a pat on the back, and someone to tell you good job you did the right thing, call your mom. You took pulled the trigger on an illegal animal, honest mistake or not, that's the fact. Report it, and take the concequences like a man, no matter what they be.

Jimsue
10-03-2008, 09:28 AM
And the next time I go 70kph in a 60kph zone I'm turning my self in. Whoever shot it screwed up, if they don't turn themselves in then hope they are more careful the next time. I know of an ex RCMP guy that shot a cow moose a day early, he reported it to the RCMP, it was a non-issue.

The 'Hummer'
10-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Hummer, it sounds like you did everything right after making an error. As I stated above, in the past, CO's went overboard when charging people who reported themselves. Because of decisions like the one the judge made, allowing you to keep your license and rifle with no fine, the mandate given to the CO's has changed. If whoever shot this moose reported the act, they would probably get away with little more than a slap on the wrist and a lesson learned. As mentioned above, the meat would go to people in need and a lesson would be learned. Unfortunately, there are still people out there who use poor judgment, shoot when they shouldn't and then pretend nothing ever happened. This is what is really wrong in this case. Again, I hope that bringing this matter up, discussing it in this forum and getting hunters talking to each other about the issue will help stop these things from happening again.
'Doing the right thing' was something my Dad was a stickler for. He was a good teacher.
Moose is my favorite big game, to hunt and to eat and leaving the meat behind as mentioned in the this thread is truly a criminal act.
What really upset me at the time in my incident was the possibility of the loss of my rifle.:cry: A lot of paper route money and wages from part time work on a freight truck went into it's purchase and I knew Dad wasn't too happy with that possibility either. Anyway, I neglected to mention, sometimes 'what comes round goes round'. We had the Moose quarters hung in a big wood shed behind and below our house and the access to the shed was a fairly steep grassy slope. When the CO backed down and loaded the quarters, his '61 Ford station wagon didn't have enough traction to get back up the hill:biggrin: so he had to call for a tow truck. As luck would have it, Dad was taking care of wrecker calls that week and seeing as it was close to suppertime............ Three hours later the CO was finally on his way.:tongue:

Mr. Dean
10-03-2008, 09:48 AM

I'm seeing things done differently and have some experience with this...

The CO's want to know what the harvest rates are. Game management is their primary goal. I *think* that they're understanding that the SSS meathod works against this.

Chances would've been VERY likely that this hunter would've been permitted to keep on hunting, IF he/she fessed up. Not reporting it though puts things into a whole new realm. A realm that is not worth venturing into IMO.

There's a time and place for examples. This moose would be a PRIME candidate for both.

Waytago, Poacher. :sad:

sawmill
10-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Did we not just have a member on this site get a second inspection on his sheep?And did he not face some severe penalties?
All I`m saying is that sometimes evan the best man can make an honest mistake,BUT if you fess up and get a mighty kick in the nuts that will get around to other guys and they will think,well **** that shit,I know what happened to my friend,ain`t gonna happen to me.
I knew a guy up in Hazelton who shot a Caribou ,one was a 5 pnt. the one he hit was 4.They packed the meat and rack down the mountain and went to the CO and he ended up with a 1000$ fine.lost his rifle and could not hunt for 2 seasons.That seem fair?I know the man,very ethical hunter,he said to me that as he took his shot the smaller one charged up along side the big bull and took one in the face.Shit happens,no matter how carefull you are.

ryanb
10-03-2008, 10:10 AM
I know of more than a few instances of people being absolutely NAILED for doing the right thing and self reporting mistakes etc. I'm not blaming the CO's, because they are implementing the law...but it does make it understandable why stuff like this happens, although not forgiveable.

sawmill
10-03-2008, 10:12 AM
And the next time I go 70kph in a 60kph zone I'm turning my self in. Whoever shot it screwed up, if they don't turn themselves in then hope they are more careful the next time. I know of an ex RCMP guy that shot a cow moose a day early, he reported it to the RCMP, it was a non-issue.

AH excuse me..........Cop confessing to another cop:roll:

Mr. Dean
10-03-2008, 10:13 AM
Did we not just have a member on this site get a second inspection on his sheep?And did he not face some severe penalties?

I think you're spreading unjust propaganda.... We don't know the final outcome of the 'sheep' incident.

Or did I miss something?
If so, I got letters to write.

kgriz
10-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Brace yourself......Get ready all of you armchair biologists.....I think 2 point season is ridiculous in a "legal identification" sense. Oh sure, many of the great sportsmen around with their 2000 spotting scopes and unfaultering judgement don't have any ID problems, but the "average" moose hunter driving around ( the majority I might add) at 1.40/lt is just praying to see a small moose and when they do, image that, they might not notice the extra 2" tine etc. CRIMINALS Why make it easy to make mistakes? For the biology of it all? Hah, upwards of 50 000 animals die on the highways and train tracks ( I don't feel like looking up the numbers now again) and the big concern is a moose somebody mis-id'ed. I should hope not. I don't advocate mis-identification but give me a break, if the MOE/CO's are so concerned about mis-ID'ed moose or big bucks why not look into shorter seasons with wider parameters. ie. any buck/bull
I know that things would be a lot more "fun" if you didn't have to look for every 1" tine thats longer than it is wide!

ryanb
10-03-2008, 10:18 AM

Ermm, shooting a cow a day early is a case of straight poaching, not making a mistake. Why would you poach, then turn yourself in?

The 'Hummer'
10-03-2008, 10:19 AM
You couldn't be wrong about this. Not CO's fault at all, they were not there and did not pull the trigger, 100% the hunters fault, they are responsible for ensuring they are shooting a legal animal.
It's a COs discretion on what to do however and I'm just referencing what those from PG do.

You're right. I admit in my particular case, I shot a cow Moose, out of season. All I'm trying to say is I thought, again in my case, that the CO ignored some of the mitigating aspects by asking for a maximum or near maximum penaty. As such, if that is the norm, I can 'sort of' understand the inclination to go the SSS route.

Phreddy
10-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Found a dead cow moose up in 8:6 just near the border with 3-12, and like the original one at the start of this thread, it had been just left to rot.
I would like, just once, to catch some craphead pulling that stunt. I'd do everything possible to make the rest of his miserable life even worse.
The very least that could be done in that situation would be to make an anonymous (from a phone booth if necessary) phone call to the CO advising at least the "what, when, where, and why" so that the meat can be salvaged. Because the indians have been known to go in and clean out the game from certain areas before the season opens, and use pitlamping, etc., to boot, they tend to get blamed for most of this type of situation. In the rest of the cases, it is usually legitimate hunters in general that are lumped into the same pile as all of the other irresponsible crapheads.

Gateholio
10-03-2008, 10:26 AM
I can't see how the CO's are to blame at all- They didn't misjudge the legality of the animal and shoot it...

coach
10-03-2008, 10:28 AM
There is no doubt that 2 point season for moose and 4 point season for deer makes hunting a lot more difficult. After seeing several decent bucks last season and passing all of them up because I couldn't positively count 4 tines, I bought better optics for this season. If I had also spent the money on a spotting scope, I would likely have had my second 4 point of this season last week (different regions). Fortunately for the deer, I couldn't positively identify 4 tines until he was running away. I can't afford a spotting scope for this season - maybe I will add one next year. The thing is - it's never worth pulling the trigger unless you are sure. I guess we can start a debate about biology, but if the rules are in place, it's really up to us all to follow them - and face up to it if a mistake is made. I'm sure most of the people on this site have more stories of letting animals go by mistake than shooting animals that weren't legal. It's part of the challenge of hunting.

sawmill
10-03-2008, 10:28 AM
I think you're spreading unjust propaganda.... We don't know the final outcome of the 'sheep' incident.

Or did I miss something?
If so, I got letters to write.
Exuse me Mr.Bean
My point was ,an ethical hunter made an honest mistake and now he has a big pile of bullshit to deal with,mostly because of the ineptitude of the people charged with enforcing the law.

Unjust propaganda? Just an example of what can happen when you do the right thing.

Caveman
10-03-2008, 10:41 AM
I agree with some of kozakgriz' points until it is said that the population can't with stand an any bull season. You're options are some kind of restriction, or no GOS season ( LEH only ). Maybe the restriction on spike fork could be changed to 4 point or no palmation. 65% of immature bulls already sport 3 points on each side, so maybe something like this would be better than hunters making that mistake. In this case though I'd guess that no real attempt to identify took place. A quick look, little horns and a shot, then the realization that it was illegal and get the hell out of dodge before someone sees me.

kgriz
10-03-2008, 10:42 AM
I agree with you sawmill......I know this topic had been beaten to death but I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the part about:
"mountain sheep that

has attained the age of 8 years as evidenced
by true horn annuli as determined by the
regional manager or designate,"

or designate. ie. the first inspector. Was the sheep old enough? prob. not. Did the designate say so and then make it legal by pinning it? Yes.
If he would have cut the bridge of the nose off or taken the horns off the skull once so and so started hassling him on here and then politely told whoever to get a warrant to look at it.....story would have been over. But he tried to do the "right" thing. The right thing is to study these three things so you never get screwed unjustly:
1. wildlife Act ( not the synopsis
2. Ombudsmans website ( watchdog of the Gov't to make sure PROPER protocols are followed
3. Freedom of Information Act- You'd be surprised what info you have the RIGHT to know....Like the CI maps for sheep for instance:wink: minus peoples names etc . Costs about $30/search
Don't count on the word of someone else to determine your actions or fate

kgriz
10-03-2008, 10:47 AM
I agree with you Caveman and I thought about the small moose palmation business but I couldn't come up with an easy way to pick the make or break line so I made the option shorter season and wide open. In the case of elk I would choose 5 point or better around PG anyways as most of the 5 points I've seen are big mature bulls and them and 6's should never be mistaken to their much smaller 4 point or less brothers.

jml11
10-03-2008, 11:00 AM
Exuse me Mr.Bean
My point was ,an ethical hunter made an honest mistake and now he has a big pile of bullshit to deal with,mostly because of the ineptitude of the people charged with enforcing the law.

Unjust propaganda? Just an example of what can happen when you do the right thing.

Not this again....

IMO comparing the illegal harvest of a sheep to the illegal harvest of a moose is quite frankly not even comparable. While both have biolgical and management implications and yes should be treated similary under the wildlife act (by definition), so many variables make the illegal harvest of a young ram worse than the accidental killing of a young moose. Again my own opinion.

jml11
10-03-2008, 11:05 AM
I agree with you Caveman and I thought about the small moose palmation business but I couldn't come up with an easy way to pick the make or break line so I made the option shorter season and wide open. In the case of elk I would choose 5 point or better around PG anyways as most of the 5 points I've seen are big mature bulls and them and 6's should never be mistaken to their much smaller 4 point or less brothers.

Sounds like a plan, a lot of areas in BC have monster 5 points. Just recently some friends came back from up north, had three elk, two 6 points and one 5 point. The 5 point has the longest points and more mass than the 6 points by far. One ministry representative I spoke to the other day said maybe the PG elk season should got to 5 points or less, leave the big heard bulls alone as they are the ones doing all the breeding anyways. Thought that was interesting.

Mr. Dean
10-03-2008, 11:08 AM
Exuse me Mr.Bean

From what I've seen, the only BS that is before him, came from some of the members from here. We don't know what role the CO services elected to travel. Therefore, moot.

Mistakes do cause problems (BS), and should. These problems though are created by the person in the drivers seat (holding rifle), not a 3rd party. We all should be aware of the rules of engagement and either elect to play, or stay home and bake pie's.

If you play, you play within the rules. If ya don't agree with the rules, you lobby for new one's - You don't get to make up your own as you go along. The rule in this case is easily found on pg. 15, of the synopsis.

kgriz
10-03-2008, 11:09 AM
thats ok but the point I was trying to make on elk was that 5 and 6 points are usually WAY bigger in the body than 4 points or less. I was thinking not so much of the biology than the ID'ability of the species. Everybody harps on the scientific and biology-driven decisions, but more often than not, in the end its the politics of it all that takes front seat. If thats often the case, why not make things easier to begin with?

BCrams
10-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Sounds like a plan, a lot of areas in BC have monster 5 points. Just recently some friends came back from up north, had three elk, two 6 points and one 5 point. The 5 point has the longest points and more mass than the 6 points by far. One ministry representative I spoke to the other day said maybe the PG elk season should got to 5 points or less, leave the big heard bulls alone as they are the ones doing all the breeding anyways. Thought that was interesting.

The region 7 elk hunt should go to a 3 point or better season. The 6 pt season is nothing but a designated 'trophy season'.

Elk are spreading their range every year and becoming more populated. Additionally, there is 'no' conservation concern for rocky mountain elk in BC. It is the ministry mandate where there is 'no conservation concern' to create more opportunities for resident hunters. This, can be accomplished by removing the 6 pt season to a 3 pt season.

Mr. Dean
10-03-2008, 11:15 AM
Lets keep this on topic. It's not a thread of sheep or reg's. It's about a dead moose rotting in the bush.......

rocksteady
10-03-2008, 11:20 AM
The fines have to be strong enough to be a deterent, however not too strong to deter people from reporting it.....(In the case of true ACCIDENTAL harvests)

If the penalties are "too strong" and someone accidentally shoot a 5 point bull elk, its a scram out of there.....

If its too lenient, say a $300 fine and you get to keep the meat, some people may consider that as a cost of doing business, to bring home an "accidental 5" rather than an honest 6.....

No matter how regs and rules are written and enforced, someone always tries to figure out an angle...

Wildfoot
10-03-2008, 11:25 AM
Are you guys for real!!?? Yeah its the CO's fault that you shot an illegal animal and its rotting away right now. Grab some balls and face up for what you've done. It's the CO's fault for holding up the law and doing his job!!?? If your looking for a pat on the back, and someone to tell you good job you did the right thing, call your mom. You took pulled the trigger on an illegal animal, honest mistake or not, that's the fact. Report it, and take the concequences like a man, no matter what they be.

I was going to write a reply, but Huey summed it up nicely for me. Don't go out in the bush if you think its too hard to judge animals! If you cant count the horns, then get closer! I have a $75 spotting scope and $30 binos and I can make out mulie points from 150 yards easily!

Laziness and stupidity is the cause of these "accidental" shootings.

jml11
10-03-2008, 11:40 AM
I was going to write a reply, but Huey summed it up nicely for me. Don't go out in the bush if you think its too hard to judge animals! If you cant count the horns, then get closer! I have a $75 spotting scope and $30 binos and I can make out mulie points from 150 yards easily!

Laziness and stupidity is the cause of these "accidental" shootings.

Good call, just this past weekend I passed up an immature bull because I just wasn't sure if there was a third point or not. Once he turned to run I saw a third "nub" off the back point but didn't have enough time to assess if it was 1" or not, so he is still out there. I just hope no one jumps the gun and shoots him before confriming if he is in fact legal.

Lucky for me I found a perfect 2x3 not even an hour later and got him. There is so much legal game and liberal hunting seasons out there nowadays (at least in 7a) that it is just not worth guessing or taking any chanes. You will always have another opportunity if you put in the time and aren't lazy as wildfoot stated.

huntcoop
10-03-2008, 12:35 PM
............Don't go out in the bush if you think its too hard to judge animals! If you cant count the horns, then get closer!.....Laziness and stupidity is the cause of these "accidental" shootings.

Brilliant quote.

kgriz
10-03-2008, 01:39 PM
Yeah I guess you're right........I'm just a newbie who doesn't have much success or experience, how dare one question the rules:cry:

10-03-2008, 01:47 PM
And the next time I go 70kph in a 60kph zone I'm turning my self in. Whoever shot it screwed up, if they don't turn themselves in then hope they are more careful the next time.

So you think going 10km/h over the speed limit is the same level of "wrong"? By that way of reasoning why should a person stop if they hit a pedestrian while driving down the street? They will surely be more careful the next time they are driving.

What about honour and dignity? To me those are more than just words to toss around.

kgriz
10-03-2008, 02:01 PM
After I used this thread as a general complaint about some of the rules, I was cruising some other threads and ran into this.......I'm the first to voice a strong opinion but I'm also one of the first to admit I was wrong. Many of my general complaints have apparently been recognised and plans are in the works to change them....my bad, I have never seen this document. Anybody who wants to gain a little faith that somebody is listening should read this if they haven't already
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/ds/docs/070607_HunterRecruitment-RetentionStrategy.pdf

Mr. Dean
10-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Yeah I guess you're right........I'm just a newbie who doesn't have much success or experience, how dare one question the rules:cry:

Feel free to do so. Change won't happen otherwise. Just (please) do it in an appropriate thread. :smile:

Tissue? :razz:

BCLongshot
10-03-2008, 02:03 PM
When in doubt do not take the shot !!!!! Probably some hot shot taking a "Longshot".

ha ha ha

huntcoop
10-03-2008, 04:10 PM
....Tissue? :razz:

Mr. D. your killin' me......that's twice I've read about a tissue from you...my guts and now hurting....I love it...:lol:

sawmill
10-03-2008, 04:16 PM
From what I've seen, the only BS that is before him, came from some of the members from here. We don't know what role the CO services elected to travel. Therefore, moot.

Mistakes do cause problems (BS), and should. These problems though are created by the person in the drivers seat (holding rifle), not a 3rd party. We all should be aware of the rules of engagement and either elect to play, or stay home and bake pie's.

If you play, you play within the rules. If ya don't agree with the rules, you lobby for new one's - You don't get to make up your own as you go along. The rule in this case is easily found on pg. 15, of the synopsis.

Never made an honest mistake in your life obviously.Ever had a fender bender ? Forgot to put money in the meter when you park?
All I meant was that bad shit happens sometimes and the good guys who fess up should NOT get kicked in the balls.
Show me a man who has never made a mistake and I`ll show you a liar,

Mr. Dean
10-03-2008, 10:22 PM
:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

[quote]Never made an honest mistake in your life obviously.Ever had a fender bender ? Forgot to put money in the meter when you park?

I have. Not only the 2 examples that you made but others as well. What makes you believe different baffles me.

Example 1: I backed into a car that was unoccupied. I wrote a note and left it on the window wiper AND notified the insurance company requesting that they put the owner in contact with me.

Example 2: Got towed AND ticketed. Missed appointments, forced to deal with taxi drivers. Generally a bad day for Mr. Dean - Oh well.

Can't say that I know what point you're trying to make (?).

All I meant was that bad shit happens sometimes and the good guys who fess up should NOT get kicked in the balls.
Show me a man who has never made a mistake and I`ll show you a liar.

Where is the "good" in the guy that plugged this animal and then elected to LEAVE it? It could have fed someones family for,,,, how long??? The best decision was to leave it for fertilizer?

Good guy, fer sure.

IMO, the "good guy" woulda dropped a quarter and said; Hey, I ****ed up. Whadda we do now?

And hit-n-runs are OK in your book too (as long as nobody is watching)?

Mr. Dean
10-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Mr. D. your killin' me......that's twice I've read about a tissue from you...my guts and now hurting....I love it...:lol:

I only offered because in his post, he had a crying smilie (:cry:).

I was only being polite. :smile:

Mr. Dean
10-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Sawmill, I reread your post. It seems that you may have this MOOSE thread confused for a SHEEP thread.

If I'm correct, please go read all my posts in it, then get back to me. Or better yet, perhaps posting there (sheep thread) if ya have a question. :wink:

smoke-eater
10-09-2008, 03:46 PM
Just wondering. Did you ever find any spent shells there to give mto the CO? do they even try to find the guys or only if there is an eye witness???? Just wondering about the poor moose in your pic?

kgs
10-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Bottom line is if you make a mistake fess up. IT IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO.
There are always consequences when you make mistakes and the point is to learn from them. In my case I was just simply honest and accepted whatever they decided. I believe when you are humbled from making a mistake you learn from it and move on.

kootenay redneck
10-09-2008, 04:38 PM
it boils down to trigger happy hunters jacked up to shoot something than look after.. the real problem is once u pull that trigger theres no pulling that bullet back.If your not sure don't shoot wait for a better look there's always another chance.I've seen alot of game in the woods i could not shoot cause it was not legal that's part of governments rules if can't read them or follow regs, than u shouldn't be out there your more of a danger than anything to people in the forest

hunter1947
10-10-2008, 04:14 AM
Maybe the moose was hit by a shot and run away and they the hunters that shot it could not find this moose ????.

jabob
10-10-2008, 08:10 AM
A few years ago me and my dad were hunting and seen a bull moose. I was looking thru the binoculars and i thought it was a 2 x 3 and told dad to shoot it. When we got up to it there was a small tine that i had missed which made it a 3 x 3. We reported it to the co and he came out and had a look. We were let off with a warning because it was an honest mistake. The animal was pick up by a needy family who was on a list the co had. Even if dad had received a fine it is still better than leaving an animal to rot in the bush.

Mr. Dean
10-10-2008, 09:02 AM
It appeared the bull had been shot at least a couple of days ago. With only spike/fork bulls open, it is obvious that someone shot this moose by "mistake". However, with 4 points on each side, this animal was no where close to being legal.

Maybe the moose was hit by a shot and run away and they the hunters that shot it could not find this moose ????.

Hunter fires on an out of season animal. Animal escapes. Hunter then doesn't realize the mistake made. Therefore doesn't call it in.

It's possible, I guess.

smoke-eater
10-11-2008, 08:57 AM
how often do these guys actually get caught if there are no eye witnesses??? After reading that an old outfitter i guided for has been busted a few times i started to do some reading and there seems to be a lot of dead animals found but not to many stories of guys getting caught...... i guess its really important to keep an eye out for more then just the big one........
kinda sad