PDA

View Full Version : up in 8-12. Moose or whitetail

pete_k
10-02-2008, 09:02 PM
I walked up into a 800m x 600m oval shaped replanted cutblock at 6am last Saturday. I headed right for the middle and crouched down beside a big 2foot rock to wait for the day to start happening.

About 30 mins later. I hear some sticks breaking behind me in the distance. And then more sticks breaking, getting closer. The sound eventualy became a steady crashing sound on the dry deadfall laying on the clearcut floor. Something big was running towards my position and making quite a bit of noise and crunching alot of deadfall. The animal came to within 50 feet then stopped. I heard two short singular notril blows, similar to the type of noise I've heard a horse make before.

When I first heard the sticks breaking in the distance, I remained crouched in case it was this Whitetail I've seen recently in the area and did not want to scare it away. As the animal got closer and closer and started to make all this noise, I stayed crouched down in case it was a moose on the charge. Anyway, enough was enough and I could not see anything crouched down. So I stood full upright to investigate what made the blowing noise. I could not see a damn thing!

Next thing you know about 10 seconds later, I hear heavy crashing in the tree line at my 3 o'clock. What ever was just 50 feet from me, was now in the tree line 400 meters away, and got there without making any noise. By the time I turn to look where the sound came from, I hear it crashing in the tree line at my 1 o'clock. I glass my 1 o'clock and now the crashing is coming from my 11 o'clock. This damn thing was moving really quickly and making one hell of a racket. The last I heard of it was when it was at my 9 o'clock. I still had no idea what I was dealing with so I decided to head for the relative safety the tree line and eventualy back to my truck. It was time for a coffee anyway.

It was a pretty exciting experience. Whatever was in that cutblock with me moved very fast and had no regard for moving with stealth.

I'm just wondering if that could have been a Moose or was it a Whitetail? Does anyone know first hand if a moose makes noise by short singular nostril blows? Or could it have been a whitetail?

tooley
10-02-2008, 09:11 PM
Definately a deer my friend, he?she was trying to get a better scent of you. Next time position yourself downwind from whee the deer enter the cutblock and you'll have meat in the freezer.

kbb
10-02-2008, 09:20 PM
whitetail, position better next time

Dirty
10-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Just a Grizzly bear :roll:

Iron-Head
10-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Your all wrong on this one,
Sasquatch..

Iron'

hotload
10-02-2008, 09:33 PM
If it would have come out on your 12 o'clock you now you would have been in trouble.

ThisIsLiving
10-02-2008, 09:38 PM
its hard to tell.... could of been a moose making that much noise.... seems like it was a bigger animal then a deer.... more and more moose moving into region 8 and with the rut happening im going to go with moose

Huey
10-02-2008, 10:10 PM
yep I'm pretty sure it was bigfoot. He's rampant in reg 8!!

ThisIsLiving
10-02-2008, 10:34 PM
yep I'm pretty sure it was bigfoot. He's rampant in reg 8!!

lol soo true more and more coming into the area.... especially around enderby

Ddog
10-02-2008, 11:15 PM
i agree with iron-head and huey,,,it was definitely Sasquatch,,i hunt there to ,,glad i am not the only to have heard the S.O.B, i to went back to my truck!LOL

rishu_pepper
10-02-2008, 11:41 PM
Gatehouse was there messin' with your head. :lol:

dunbartr
10-05-2008, 10:32 PM
I actually had a cow moose "bark" at me last year?!?! Kind of sounded like a cross between a bear grunt, and a shepard type dog... I thought it was just me hearing things, then she did it 3-4 times and my actually buddy heard it too. Then she watched me walk (crash) past her thorugh a cutblock about 10yds away... animals do weird things sometimes!

harder rd
10-05-2008, 11:04 PM
an animal moving like that should have left some tracks. Next time take a look.

NightOwl74
10-06-2008, 04:28 AM
If it was loud as heck like a loud sneeze or "wheeze" through the nostrils one to four times in fairly quick succession......I'm thinkin whitetail. Scares the heck outta ya. They will do that when they have confirmed visual or scent contact with the intruder. That means you. They will usually do it while they turn and hightail it down their escape route, and they are experts at being silent as the wind when they want to be. It was peculiar that he made any noise at all with his feet. He must have been trying to flush you out to get a better look at ya.

troutseeker
10-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Sasquatch for sure, and making it's mating calls as well! Count yourself lucky you were not violated...