PDA

View Full Version : cutblocks

brig
10-02-2008, 07:28 PM
So I'm just wondering what cutblocks are the best for finding deer in? Do I want to spend more time in really fresh ones or ones that are a few years old already? And what about some of those really messy cutblocks with logs and stumps and crap everywhere? Do they make good hunting spots? And whats the best way to hunt them? So far what i've done is just work my way slowly around them, usually staying just inside the trees around the edge? Do I want to just sit and wait for the deer or should I be moving around the cutblock?

johnk
10-02-2008, 07:33 PM
I prefer the sidehill and benchy cuts for muleys. They do like the uphill escape route and the benches for bedding and keeping a watchful eye. Once the loggers are out and the new grass shoots are coming up the deer are there.

Huey
10-02-2008, 10:17 PM
I'm planning on hitting a block up this weekend. I was thinking one of two strategies.... 1 walk about 25yds in the bush around the cut and step to the edge every once and a while and glass. 2 get into the middle of the block (early) where there is a small patch of cover and wait for the light and the deer. Just a few suggestions, can't tell you what works cuz I don't know yet!!

10-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Do any of you who sit in the middle of a cutblock wear hunter orange?

Mr. Dean
10-03-2008, 12:00 AM
Myself, I don't like walking into one unless I seen the southbound end of a northbound critter, disappear over a bench or ????. I just feel exposed and vulnerable. Going into one is a last resort for me. I fear of pushing any game that calls it home, out. Then what does that leave for tomorrow,,, finding another one (cut) that looks good? Scouting could never end...

However, I do know others that do and they seem to get game also.

If possible, I try to make use of cover and glass from assorted vantage points. Working up the timberline is a good idea IMO. The terrain is usually easier to hike and trails can normally be found. Find a good advantage point and sit back, relax for a while. If there's good sign, the critters will show up sooner or later.

Spotting from another mountain top or hillside is better yet, IMO. :wink:

If you do go in, be prep'd for fast shots and expect the unexpected.

Steeleco
10-03-2008, 12:16 AM
In the past when hunting with a buddy, I've taken the time to try to get on top of the block and walk parallel to the road, while my buddy walks the road.
The idea is that if one pushes the animal the other may see it. It's not got us any deer the few times we've tried it, but it did get us REAL close to a big Cougar. TOOO close.

I have spoken to a few guys that like to hunt new blocks. They tell me they will climb atop one slash pile and set up on an adjacent pile(s). Apparently Bambi likes the fresh cut greenery hanging of the pecker poles?

doubled
10-03-2008, 04:44 AM
I have seen animals in 2 hour old cut blocks but most of the action will come in the blocks that are already coming back with feed as previously said. Check your blocks out. Usually each block will have several trails in and out especially if it is on a hill. Once you find these highways, if I find fresh sign, I love to setup a blind with a good vantage point of these and will try to get into it before light in the morning and around 4:00 in the afternoon. Wait and watch the show. It can be spectacular sometimes.

10-03-2008, 10:13 AM
is it worth watching a cut mid day? around 10 to 3? or would walking in the woods be a better idea?

Caveman
10-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Two or Three year old cuts are great. The grass and other food sources have taken hold to provide all kids of feed. Early mornings and late afternoons are best. You will rarely see a buck in there during the day unless the rut is on and he is chasing a hot doe. Hang out above the cut in the timber, the deer will come with the wind in their face to bed down