PDA

View Full Version : grouse breasts

ratherbefishin
09-05-2005, 03:26 PM
what's your favourite recipe?I use a cast iron dutch oven for camp cooking,and I;ve done them by deboning and frying, then adding a can of mushroom soup and cooked noodles.Good- but I want some variety

mainland hunter
09-05-2005, 04:31 PM
i dice em then heat a frying pan with butter, chives, seasoning salt and pepper and make little grouse bits. either that or i wrap em in tinfoil with butter and seasoning and just chuck it in the fire for a bit. both are good but ill have to give your way a try now

Tarp Man
09-05-2005, 04:44 PM
My favorite is over a campfire on a stick after brushing them with oil or butter and sprinkling with seasoning salt and spices. They are also good as a lemon pepper dill sauce holder.
-Tarp Man

rrfred
09-05-2005, 06:24 PM
debone,cut in strips, baste on a little egg, dredge thru fine cracker crumbs and spices, fry and reach for the dip, yumm. lookin forward to next week when they are open.

ratherbefishin
09-05-2005, 07:32 PM
I love dutch ovens for camp cooking.One method I use is to put whatever I'm cooking in the dutch oven and then just leave it at the edge of the fire to simmer away-you come home at night, cold wet,and hungry-and voila-your dinner is ready.
Try ''2 BEER'' ROAST''
-One roast or chops,grouse breasts, seasoned dredged and browned
-cut up a good sized onion and fry in the hot Dutch oven
-place the browned meat in the oven and add 1 beer
-put the lid on,and bury the Dutch oven partially in the coals at the edge of the fire
go hunting fishing, whatever, and come back several hours later, add some vegetables if you like and move the Dutch oven to a bit hotter spot to cook them
Drink the other beer while eating your dinner.
You can't mess this up, as long as you leave it in the hot ash and it simmers a long time.Even the tougher cuts are tender.Sometimes I add a can of tomatoes,or a shot of barbeque sauce.A good seasoning is montreal steak spice.And a garlic-that goes without saying.

270WIN
09-06-2005, 09:43 AM
debone roll them in egg then all dressed potato chips and fry in oil

coaster
09-06-2005, 10:10 AM
My favorite is, split the breasts, add flour and spices in a bag, shake well and brown in a frying pan. When they are browned add 1/4 cup Chardonney white wine, some wild mushrooms ( shaggy manes ) let simmer until tender, and serve over rice (wild rice is best ).

Barracuda
09-06-2005, 02:03 PM
debone,cut in strips, baste on a little egg, dredge thru fine cracker crumbs and spices, fry and reach for the dip, yumm. lookin forward to next week when they are open.

we first had something close to that when we were in Germany except it was baked. It was very good . Corn flake crumbs also are really good ,
Great now im hungry:smile:

I think we pretty much always have strips of some type . easy to make, good for sandwiches ,stir frys or salads etc..

PGKris
01-05-2006, 10:07 PM
I got one:
1) De-bone
2) Marinate
3) Put in slow cooker
4) Cover with BBQ sauce
5) Slow cook for about 3-4 hours

My marinade: (In order)
Worchestershire sauce
BBQ sauce
Lemon juice (to tenderize)
Hot sauce
Seasoning salt
Paprika
Wee bit garlic
Whatever else I feel like throwing in. Maybe chopped onions?

I'm definitely gonna try dicing them and doing them in a pan the way mainland_hunter said. That sounds good.

CanAm500
01-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Has anyone tried eating grouse cold?

Me and a friend are planning on bringing some to our schools historical fair as we are doing "History of Hunting".

ruger#1
01-05-2006, 10:19 PM
I like it cooked in a stirfry with plum sauce mm mm good or if you have a preasure cooker make a rabbit and grouse stew, thanks now i have to get something to eat.

hitch
01-06-2006, 08:52 AM
We used to cut up the breasts of Sharptails into cubes and make pasta sauce using the Cream of broccoli soup and some cut up broccoli and onion , what ever else you want. For Blues and Ruffies anything that goes for chicken works fine. :wink:

Schmaus
01-06-2006, 03:24 PM
I usually cut them into strips (no bones) then put them into a sort of beer batter with seasoning salt, garlic, and montreal steak spice and then throw it into a deep fryer or a very hot pan with oil. I love them this way, I am definately interested in putting the all dressed chips on them it might taste pretty good.

Schmaus

ruger#1
01-06-2006, 04:56 PM
all i want to know is [ what time is supper time ] those sound very good.

FullDraw
01-08-2006, 11:45 AM
The brother inlaw diced up some grouse breast seasoned and fried them up. He then topped a fresh ceaser salad with the grouse breast he just cooked up. It was sure tastey!

FullDraw

Caveman
01-08-2006, 07:05 PM
A buddy of mine makes Grouse Nuggets similar to the ones described earlier hot or cold KFC or Miki D's has nothing on them. Finger licking good;)

CanAm500
01-08-2006, 07:14 PM
A buddy of mine makes Grouse Nuggets similar to the ones described earlier hot or cold KFC or Miki D's has nothing on them. Finger licking good;)
Nice :)

So grouse cold taste like chicken, or is it not worth eating it cold?

Jagermeister
01-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Wrapped in bacon strips and baked in the oven or in the Dutch oven over a low fire.

Caveman
01-08-2006, 08:15 PM
Hot or Cold both are great if you'd my buddies recipe I could get it, just let me know.

CanAm500
01-08-2006, 08:46 PM
Alright, thanks.

CHilko21
01-10-2006, 12:05 AM
My favorite is, split the breasts, add flour and spices in a bag, shake well and brown in a frying pan. When they are browned add 1/4 cup Chardonney white wine, some wild mushrooms ( shaggy manes ) let simmer until tender, and serve over rice (wild rice is best ).

I love shaggy mane mushrooms. My opa taught me to cook them in butter and seasoning salt....mmmmm good. As for grouse, I've done them baked in mushroom soup, and basted in egg and breton cracker crumbs, and then cook them in the oven with cut of pieces of butter on the pan between the pieces of grouse. It's originally a chicken recipe but it's good for wild chickens too.

Str8shot
01-27-2006, 11:57 PM
My favorite way of dressing up these little gems is to dice them into cubes, fry in a hot pan with olive oil and cover in cajun spice. Serve warm over a nice caeser salad!! Tasty little dinner in the bush!!

rbduck
04-18-2006, 08:48 PM
I know it`s a little late but how about this one?

Grouse Taco Salad

This recipe can be used as a salad or as a main dish.
Ingredients1 cup of cheese , shredded4 cups of corn chips2 green onions , chopped6 grouse breasts, thinly sliced2 medium tomatoes, chopped1 pouch, taco seasoning1 cup of salsa sauce4 cups of shredded lettuce1 tablespoon of vegetable oil

InstructionsBrown meat in veg oil and set aside.
Cut up lettuce, green onion and tomatoes.
Follow istructions on seasoning pkg and add grouse strips.
Arrange salad on plates, place cornchips on top.
Pour on salsa.
Sprinkle with cheese.
ENJOY

Ron:-D

mrdoog
04-18-2006, 09:45 PM
Oh ya sure, bring this up when they are out of season and the freezer is void of the tasty ittle dickens.

Fred
04-18-2006, 11:37 PM
I got several you can have Rob. How good is your stomach? :roll: :eek: :biggrin: Fred

Calum
04-19-2006, 03:17 AM
An old German Recipie that my wife tried last fall was...

A Grouse breast left on the breastbone a week in the fridge wrapped up in a zip lock bag. Then half a Macintosh apple under the breastbone, and wrap the whole thing in Bacon, and then slow broil as one would do with chicken.

Then served up with a generous topping of wild berry compote (hot sauteed fruit) out of Red currents, Cranberries, and Blackberries from our garden. Very tasty! :grin:

johnes50
04-19-2006, 08:30 AM

You sir, are a man that knows how to cook. I'll try try that recipe some time when I'm camping if I can rip the wine bottle out of my hunting buddies hand.:grin:

mark
04-19-2006, 08:46 AM
fillet the breasts off the bone, saute them in a pan swimming in mushroom sauce, then dump it on a bed of rice. (save the veggies for the rabbits)

Another way is too fillet the breasts and cordon blue them, "tip" take a peice of black forest ham and cover the breasts completely while baking, them to prevent them from drying out!

Browningmirage
11-15-2006, 02:40 PM
alright dude
I tried it, get some olive oil, and a seasoning you can get in any local store, by clubhouse, called roasted garlic and peppers. Put in enough oil to cover everything fully, put in the seasoning, probably 3 to 4 tablespoons for 2 grouse, let sit for about an hour, stirring to coat, it tastes amazing, and it is good hot or cold

Caveman
12-16-2006, 02:28 PM
Debone breasts, cut into cubes. marinate overnight in watered down Teriaki sauce.

Roll in mixture of eggs, milk, bread crumbs, parsly flakes, garlic powder and Mrs Dash.

Pan fry in butter. real butter not margarine

Better than KFC' popcorn chicken

Chuck
12-20-2006, 12:20 PM
I absolutely LOVE the flavor of Ruffs! To hide or change it for me is a sin. Might as well be a store bought chicken otherwise. Back home, just cut it up in managable pieces, shake 'em in a bag of flour salt and pepper and in a fairly hot buttered pan brown 'em nicely - careful and don't burn. Then put the heat down, cover with a lid and simmer till done right through. I've tried shake-n-bake and other methods and they haven't worked much for me - like I say might as well been something the dog brought home. Cold the next day grouse is real good, the flavor is even better! We are so lucky! In London England a grouse meal in a fine restaurant would set you back something over $100.