PDA

View Full Version : going scouting on the coq...

twoSevenO
10-02-2008, 10:13 AM
So i just returned from a 5-week off-the-continent vacation and was thinking of going up the coq (lawless-britton area) to do some scouting (feel free to let me know if i'm wasting my time lol) and i had a couple of questions:

1) Have the toll fees for the #5 been lifted? I heard they were :???:
2) When does the said area get its first snow fall usually?
3) When does this area get "busy" with hunters usually?

Thanks guys :)

jml11
10-02-2008, 10:17 AM
don't know the area at all but I heard on the radio this morning that demo of the toll booths was starting today. Gordon Campbell and Kevin Falcon (Minister of Transportation) are at the toll booth this morning for a demolition ceremony of sorts.

twoSevenO
10-02-2008, 11:20 AM
cool, hope that doesn't mean huge delays on that stretch of road :) :)

Leaseman
10-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Not a bad area, but well travelled....first snow fall happened well over a month ago.... all guiding outfits (most anyway!) usually head out of the high(er) country this comming weekend as the weather in there changes fast!!!

sneg
10-02-2008, 01:17 PM
I would suggest to be ready for snow conditions if you plan to go any elevation .Weather can change very rapidly.Area is quite busy.

behemoth
10-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Expect to run into a ton of road hunters, get out of your truck and you should see some action

10-02-2008, 01:39 PM
I used to hunt just past the toll booth, but never had any success. In many weekends of hunting I saw only a few does and a pair of cow moose. And a couple of bears, but I was not interested in them. That is going back 10 years, so maybe things have changed.

BigfishCanada
10-02-2008, 01:45 PM
go deep in, near coalmont. HUGE Mullie country, There are some great cuts in there, sit and scope the cuts and you will see game. I have also seen big moose and of course tons of bear. Road hunting sucks forest is too thick, but as i said some of the cutblocks are sooooo huge that you can sit and scope those cuts and before long u will see movement. Then its up to you to get close.

twoSevenO
10-02-2008, 07:50 PM
cool, thanks :)

so there IS snow up there now??

KevinB
10-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Keep you eye on the BC Highway Cams, you can choose from a few right around the toll booth, that might give you some idea of when show has hit the area.

You could try heading up into the old Lawless Creek burn (you can see it on google Earth if you don't know the area), it gets pretty busy in any buck season and the deer get a bit skittish, but most hunters seem to stay in their trucks. I have always seen deer there away from roads.

bruin
10-03-2008, 12:37 PM
I was in that country last weekend. Managed to get a small 4 point for a friend in the alpine. Lots of road hunters and nearly every road seems to be hit by a truck or a quad. Didn't see much for deer on the roads, lots of chickens and lots of bears. There was no snow at that time, we did get some rain up high.

twoSevenO
10-03-2008, 04:14 PM
thanks dudes ... good advice, will certainly report back on how it works out for me :) :)