PDA

View Full Version : Buddies First Elk

gbear
10-01-2008, 07:54 PM
My first post of a recent hunt. I would have posted sooner, but I had to figure out how to post pictures.

With the liberal elk season in 7-20A, I thought I would try out a couple new areas this year. I took a friend of mine out who has never shot an elk before and figured he should get first crack at one.

First day out to this particular area, we left town around 4am and drove out to where I wanted to park and start walking from. It was pretty much right on time for legal shooting time. I was pretty much ready to go right away but my friend was doing something with his pack. So as we are standing there, I try out a new cow call I just bought. Wouldn't you know it, a bull responded right away. I figured he was only a couple hundred yards away from the truck in a cutblock. Almost right after that, a 2nd bull answers, and then a 3rd.

I said buddy, we gotta go now! He actually didn't believe me I had elk going already. He didn't hear a thing. But, he listened, and we were off to set up. I got him set up where I hoped the bull would make himself visible and I set up in the timber a bit behind and called again. The bull was on his way. We could hear him coming. There was a bit of a breeze going the wrong way and I think the bull got a smell of us. He started going away from us, but he kept answering my calls, and so did the other 2 bulls.

After about 10 minutes, I was certain we weren't going to get a shot from there, I decided we had to make a move. I figured we would get on this deactivated road and work our way around the bull to get the wind in our favour. Once in awhile I would let out a cow call just to keep all bulls located.

We came around a corner and found another good spot to set up in. This time it worked. We were close to 1 bull and we had the wind in our favor. It only took a few more calls, and I could see him coming. Buddy hadn't seen him yet, so I let him know the bull was coming and it was legal and to take the shot as soon as he had a clean opportunity.

Within a minute, there was the bull in the wide open. He was facing head on and my buddy had his rifle up and was waiting for the elk to make a move. Like clock work, he turned broadside and buddy let him have it. The elk took off into the thick stuff.

I figured we should give him a few minutes. So, we marked where the shot was taken from and then found where the elk was standing. A couple steps later, we found blood. We waited about 15 minutes or so, and started after him. There was a good blood trail, but I was suprised the elk went about 200 yards. We found him piled up in the thick stuff.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/1st_Elk.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=10630&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=9369)

Buddy was really happy getting his first bull. We were able to get my quad right to him and drug him out of the thick stuff to be able to work on him.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_0210.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=10631&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

I went back every day that week to the same area. I managed to bring 9 bulls in close that week, but I was unable to get a clean shot at the vitals on any of them. The aspen stand there is so thick, there were times I didn't even see the elk, but I could see the trees moving where he was. Other times, I could see part of the body and rack, but not a kill zone. I did have a couple opportunities at cows, but passed on them. Thinking back, I probably should have made the attempt to take one.

I went back again this past weekend, and amazing how things change in a week. I didn't hear a peep from an elk, and didn't see one. Still seen a number of tracks though, so there is still a bunch there.

I will try again this weekend.

mcrae
10-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Good story and congrats to the buddy...

Good luck on the weekend !

Big7
10-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Sounds like a blast....good work, that's a pretty respectable bull! I bet your friend is pumped! Good for you!

whitetailsheds
10-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Nice one Gbear, now for that big 365 bull for you........

Freshtracks
10-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Kudos on some fine work getting your friend his 1st bull. Congrats to your friend on sealing the deal.

steepNdeep
10-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Right on nice bull! September will never be the same for him now... :cool:

trigger
10-01-2008, 11:13 PM
wow, that is a great story. congrats to your partner on his first. hes hooked now.

sneg
10-02-2008, 10:24 AM
excellent job.congrats to you both. good luck on your next hunt.

Blainer
10-02-2008, 10:28 AM
That is great!

Tikka7mm
10-02-2008, 10:39 AM
I wish I had more friends like you! Good job on helping your buddy tag a bull before yourself and good luck getting a big one this coming weekend. You know what they say, "what goes around comes around"....karma should be working in your favour.

Caveman
10-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Great Job Guys!! I too took my first bull this year. Not far from the size of yours. Congrats!!

rishu_pepper
10-02-2008, 12:55 PM
Wow you guys make it sound so easy! When is it my turn... :cool: