PDA

View Full Version : Elk down...Interesting story

kootenayelkslayer
10-01-2008, 05:08 PM
A friend and I went for a lil elk hunt yesterday. We hiked for a couple hours and got up on top of a timbered ridge. We were cow calling on the way and had a bull bugle farther down the ridge, but there was suddenly a squaking noise right below, we sat for a minute and sure enough a bull comes crashing through the brush towards us. We counted 6 points and I asked my friend if he wanted to shoot it, he didn't hesitate to say yes, so I passed him my rifle. The bull was behind some brush and only giving us glimpses of his body. He barked and was about to spook when my friend took a shot. The bull wheeled around and disappeared...didn't look like he was hit hard. We looked for a half hour before I found blood, just a couple drops. Then we followed tracks for a couple hours but couldn't find anymore blood. We felt certain it was just a flesh wound, but it was certainly an awful feeling. We kept on with our hike eventually and had more elk bugling and one other six point that we got a quick look at. Anyway, long story short, we slept until the evening and started out way back down the ridge, when we had an elk bugling. I could hear cows with him. He wasn't coming in and we were running out of light, so I decided we should make a move on him and we went charging in on him. I went ahead and my friend stayed behind me doing the calling. This got him going and he started coming in. I could hear him coming and bugling in the thick stuff, and had another small bull right below me looking up at me. Finally he showed up and all I could see was his face and antlers. When he turned his head I took the shot right behind his ear. He dropped like a sack of rocks. Anyway, I get to butchering and I was just taking out the backstraps when I noticed an odd hole and a bunch of blood shot. I didn't think much of it, but when I took the otherside out, there was a jagged hole in it too. Sure enough, it was a bullet hole. It was the same freakin bull that my friend shot 10 hours earlier. I couldn't believe it. Shows how tough they are, he was ready to fight again after being shot right below the spine earlier that day. Here's a few pics.

trigger
10-01-2008, 05:20 PM
awesome guys.. sounds like you were into alot of elk. thats so good that you got the bull your freind had originally tried for. what are the odds. a big CONGRATS to you guys

Caveman
10-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Great Looking Bull, congrats!!

The Hermit
10-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Have a similar story on a nice 5 point wihite-tail I killed about 15 minutes after hunting partner shot it. We thought his was hit pretty good so were sitting having some tea waiting a few before going to track him... turned out the same buck had circled around in the woods and came right back out about 75 yards further. No blood on friends shot! Lucky me a dumb whitetail!!!

Tikka7mm
10-01-2008, 05:59 PM
That's some good action...sounds like you guy's had elk all around you. Congrats on great looking bull!

todbartell
10-01-2008, 06:36 PM
great job! use the 7mm? :D

Gateholio
10-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Nice elk and cool story!:razz:

kootenayelkslayer
10-01-2008, 07:47 PM
great job! use the 7mm? :D

Yaa I sure did. When my friend first wounded the bull, the first thing I thought of course was that Tod Bartell sold me a gun that didn't work:p But as it turned out the Tikka worked just fine.

mcrae
10-01-2008, 07:57 PM
Nice to see all the success this year on elk congrats on a nice bull.

Browningmirage
10-01-2008, 08:00 PM
Good job big guy...now for mule deer?

bozzdrywall
10-01-2008, 08:02 PM
nice bull good job

10-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Looks like the Kootenay elk hunters are stackin' em like cordwood.

Blainer
10-01-2008, 08:29 PM
Great end to a Great story.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Congrats!!

Must be nice to pack meat out for yourself for a change!!!:-)

SSS

mark
10-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Very nice elk man, cool story!

tomahawk
10-02-2008, 07:01 AM
Awesome................

WildKat
10-02-2008, 07:50 AM
Congrats! Awesome bull, great story :)

budismyhorse
10-02-2008, 02:29 PM
now that is a first! same bull 10 hours later....the rut must be on...

why doesn't your buddy pack his own dang rifle?? I have heard of guys splitting gear on sheep trips but never for elk.

great photos. thanks for sharing!

bruin
10-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Great bull and an excitiing hunt. Way to go. Was your buddy's shot a "No zone" hit

BCrams
10-02-2008, 08:08 PM
Great bull and story to go with it!! Figured you would run into one.

kootenayelkslayer
10-02-2008, 09:49 PM
Ha thanks. I couldn't quite top Andy's bull, but I won't complain with the one I got :)

Great bull and story to go with it!! Figured you would run into one.

pete_k
10-02-2008, 10:10 PM
great story. Nice Elk!