PDA

View Full Version : Need arrows.

opico
10-01-2008, 10:47 AM
I am new to the island and have not hunted for years. Looking for a local store that has archery supplies. Looking for someone who is knowledgeable and friendly. Can anyone recommend a store.

Statler
10-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Not sure how knowledgable or friendly they may be but Island outfitters on Douglas has archery supplies.

The 'Hummer'
10-01-2008, 12:03 PM
West Coast Archery in Cobble Hill, Bill Sampson. Bucky's Sporting Goods in Duncan, Richard.

Bow Walker
10-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Eagle Eye Outfitters in Sooke - definitely friendly. Lots of Archery supplies. Good service too. How do I know? I've benefited from it!

tailgate77
10-02-2008, 06:44 AM
Tyee Marine in Courtenay. Ricks a good guy and knows his stuff.

OOBuck
10-02-2008, 06:46 AM
Island outfitters has great selection & people who know what there doing..

Bow Walker
10-02-2008, 09:10 AM
I am new to the island and have not hunted for years. Looking for a local store that has archery supplies. Looking for someone who is knowledgeable and friendly. Can anyone recommend a store.
:confused: Just out of curiosity - what's your Draw Length? What poundage are you pulling on the bow? Is it Compound or Traditional/Recurve? Do you want arrows for both hunting and/or 3D - or are you going to use separate arrows for each? Do you want feathers or vanes?

:smile: All these things impact which arrow will work best for you in each situation.

Bow Walker
10-02-2008, 07:22 PM
puppychow - try Joanne, and good luck.:wink:

Bow Walker
10-03-2008, 09:50 PM
opico - you still out there? Shy about your draw weight and length? Don't be - it's only a measurement after all.

opico
10-04-2008, 02:25 PM
29" draw at 67 lb on a compound bow. looking at aluminiums or the full metal jackets.

Bow Walker
10-04-2008, 08:19 PM
There you are! Decently average draw length and no slouch in the draw weight either.

Might I ask why aluminums? I can understand the FMJ's for hunting, but aluminums are sooo touchy when it comes trying to straighten the ones that miss the target - or better yet - pass through the animal and impact a tree, or a rock, or even the ground.

If it's target arrows you're looking for, I'd like to suggest full on carbons. Something like Gold Tip's 7595s would fit you to a T. Not nearly as expensive as Eastons, a whole lot tougher than any other carbon in the same class, and they are easily obtainable.

As a matter of fact, the 7595s make excellent hunting shafts as well...I've used them.

No skin off my arse - I'm just trying to help and to maybe save you some $$$ in the long run.

Good luck out there.

Elkhound
10-05-2008, 09:33 AM
I too am looking for new arrows. thanks for the info BW. I will check out the gold tips

Bow Walker
10-09-2008, 08:17 AM
I'm pulling 60lbs, with a 28" draw length and I have a Safari Twister rest from APA. This rest has the arrow contact point about 1.5" behind the shelf of the bow, so even with my DL I can cut my arrows down to 26 7/8" (bare shaft).

Cutting 5575's down to that length does two main things. Firstly, it stiffens them up just right for the draw weight, and secondly it allows for a lighter, faster arrow.

I use the Expedition Hunter 5575 Camo shafts and cut them down to length. A secondary benefit from cutting my arrows (from both ends) is that they become as straight as is possible to get these "lesser expensive" shafts. ;)

I also make sure that the cut ends are square and that the inserts are square and that the pin nock bushings are square, prior to assembling the arrow - I'm a tad anal that way :redface: - but the finished product is very easy to tune with a broadhead attached. My P.O.I. with field points and broadheads is virtually the same - even out to 50 yards - I've tested it extensively.

:idea: A well tuned arrow coupled with a well tuned bow narrows the chances of equipment problems when sighting in. It's then up to the operator to do a proper job. As has been said "It ain't the bow - it's the Indian". :shock:

Good luck out there, and go get 'em.