PDA

View Full Version : youth hunt was a success.

rrfred
09-04-2005, 11:26 PM
hey all, after a few seasons / poor luck on leh and new hunter draws, my son connected on a region 3- youth hunt on opening day -a forkhorn mulie. several stalks in the day,then at 640pm we spotted a small herd, watched a bit, and grew antlers on one, We sorted out the herd, waited for the buck to clear from the others, I gave him the green light while I spotted- and the steep downhill shot from a fully rested position connected, buck staggered sideways- looked to go down. A precarious walk down the slash and a finisher, job was done. My guess was around 225 yds but tough to read. Once the messy part was done couple of fellows who were bowhunting dropped by on quads to congratulate my son and chat, then one of the fellows graciously offered/ gave me a lift back to my truck on his quad, to spare me the hike back up the slash. Once back on top he lasered the range, 266yds, a long shot, and well done . Thanks the the fellow hunters, and great too see my son get his first deer, thats number 2 as his first bear was last year, pics to follow once the're done and scanned.

Stats on the gun -270 winchester 130 hornady interbonds at about 2850fps. total pass thru-exit hole double diameter, no bone hit.

On another note, its great to see fellow hunters who stop to help out and chat, keeps us all a little safer, - done it lots in my time but also have now had two times in 3 years where passerby hunters have stopped and given a hand. good luck to all in the season and stay safe, rrfred

Red Foreman
09-05-2005, 12:54 AM
Way to go,my buddies son got his first deer today as well up reg 3 a nice little 3x2.

Sikanni Stalker
09-05-2005, 01:43 AM
right on, postthem pics!!!!
Good to see another young hunter is joining the ranks!!! I can't speak for others, but I would help anyone out there regardless of their age, or method of hunting. For me if they are out there legally and respecting the bush they should be out there as well I should be.I know there have been camps that have helped me and I have in return helped others.It's what hunting is all about.Fellowship man....it's great

Tim

Rookie
09-05-2005, 06:51 AM
Congrats on your sucessful hunt,I1m getting psyched from these stories,I haven`t seen my shooter yet but I`m far from done!

Thunderstix
09-05-2005, 07:55 AM
Congrats to you and your son! Venison in the freezer already! Man I wish I was on that trip. And by the way, 266 yards is a dandy shot.

elkster
09-05-2005, 08:18 AM
Good on Yeah!!
Nice shot. I always like to stop and help others, Have a talk, its good to see and help others in the bush.

Bow Walker
09-05-2005, 08:33 AM
Good to see a father another son combo score. That's how I got started and how I got hooked on the outdoors. We'll be looking forward to the pictures. Nice long poke with that .270 "kid" ! That buck will taste better knowing that it was your shot that did the job.

rock
09-05-2005, 08:45 AM
Congrats on you and your son, pretty dam good shot for his first deer, and about hunters helping out is to me just part of the hunt whether it's your game or somebody elses, hats of to all the hunters out there that take the time to help, they are a breed of there own.

sniperontheridge
09-05-2005, 10:28 AM
congrats.to you and your son.great to see father and son go hunting together.many good huntin times to both of you..

Freshtracks
09-05-2005, 03:43 PM
rrfred

Congrats to your son. Never got my son to connect during his trips (close 1st time) and know it's quite a thrill. Well done. ;)

3kills
09-06-2005, 06:09 PM
thats awesome...how did the other youth huntes make out???

DBM
09-06-2005, 06:26 PM
3 Kills, thanks again for the info on hunting around Merritt. We ended up sticking a little closer to home in case my boy wasn't into it.

It wasn't really a youth hunt but took my 7 year old son out for his first trip on a region 8 bowhunt. Saw a couple of bucks and quite a few does, ended up passing on a 40 yard shot on a small 3 point. The trip is all he's been talking about. We're headed back out in a couple of weeks with BCHunter for 4 point season.

BCHunter
09-06-2005, 06:27 PM
oh and i can't wait!

Mulie_Hunter
09-06-2005, 07:00 PM
Gratz on the deer guys :biggrin: I didn't get one. but it wasn't from lack of animals. I passed on Nice 3X4 on Sunday night, Guess I'm too picky

bosskiller
09-08-2005, 02:36 AM
Congrats! I took my little brother on his second youth hunt. Successful both years, this year with a nice 4 x 3 mulie in region 3