PDA

View Full Version : Lets hear your moose calls

Rhys
09-30-2008, 04:20 PM
Do any of the experienced moose callers feel like demonstating on video or audio some of your moose calls for those of us with less expereince?

I am heading off on my second moose hunt this year, all of us are pretty new to hunting moose. Most of the time we get out there and walk all day looking for sign and good areas.

This year I would like to try some calling and have been watching some of the videos on youtube to practice.

Any of you guys want to show us what you have got?

I am also going to try to make a coffee can call to bring with me to see if I have any luck.

Hunt is Oct 17-27 in the Bridge lake area.

There must be some good callers on the board, i have seen a lot of pictures of nice moose on here already!

Rhys

chris
09-30-2008, 04:33 PM
ok so I've heard of a coffee can call but how do you make it? More importantly how well do they work? I have been practicing my cow call as much as I can but have never seen this tin can trick. I got a bull draw and Im off for a 10 day hunt on Oct 1.

09-30-2008, 05:06 PM
A Birch Bark call whined into like your truck broke down, your dogs dying, the wife wants another new pair of shoes, mortgage is late, visa's over drawn, no new gun in the plans because the womens shoes are to expensive, pink slip from work, the kids are pissed cause you grounded them, and ..... your so love sick you can't get the tune Moon River out of your head, so .....you call to the tune of it !
Sorry I can't fill your request, just try you tube "calling moose."
Have fun
C/T

YukonJack
09-30-2008, 05:08 PM
Coffee can/Big Ass Soup can calls are easy to make and use.
A five-pound tin makes a better sound than others.
Hole in the bottom, (like a nail-sized hole) thread a LEATHER lace, like one you'd steal out of your pal's moccasin-slippers, or rob from a used up baseball glove, through the hole, and knot the end on the outside, underside of the can.
Place a bit of water in the can bottom, just enough to wet/dampen the lace.
When yer ready, grasp the leather lace where it comes through the can on the inside, and give it a sharp tug, letting it slide through your fingers.
May take some practice to get the pressure/tension right...
Seems to work alright....well it sure sounds okay at any rate.

mooseless
09-30-2008, 06:37 PM
what is the proper sequence, and length of "pull" on the lace??

my Dad does 3 long pulls then 3 @1/2 then if he hears a bull grunt he may do a veryvery short (1/4") pull to immitate.

Squirrelnuts
09-30-2008, 06:41 PM
I've got a reed type call that seems to work like a damn... I called in 5 hunters with it last weekend. :smile:

Unfortunately, the moose didn't take the bait.

tomahawk
09-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Hunt is Oct 17-27 in the Bridge lake area.

Rhys

Your going to be hunting outside of the best time to call but you might have a chance to draw in a younger bull with calling.

Browningmirage
09-30-2008, 08:56 PM
screw the can...use your voice...buddy of mine said he used to call for elk with his voice...you know who you are

M.Dean
09-30-2008, 09:08 PM
I met a guy at the Chowade River years ago that called elk with his voice, was quite some thing to hear! I think he was from PG.

bruin
09-30-2008, 10:10 PM
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuaawwwwhhhhh!

Caveman
09-30-2008, 10:13 PM
I'm by no means an expert, but I just pinch my nose an use my throat to make various sounds. Get a tape and listen to it and try to mimic it. Justin_07 just called in a 5X5 the other day for a buddy. I don't know what he may have used or if he mimic-ed a call I showed him but it worked first try. I learned by listening to my dad years ago. I've called bulls from as far as 500 or 600 yds away across a slough or cut. I've also been within 15yds and been able to keep them close for up to 5 min. several times.

Caveman
09-30-2008, 10:14 PM
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuaawwwwhhhhh! Start this out low gradually building it up in volume ending abruptly with a couple wwwhhhs on the end.

Bull Grunt?? Loses something in the translation. Actually I changed my mind, a cow. Get relitively close to a bull and give him a gutteral "Wuh" every few seconds in a deep, but not too loud sound and watch his reaction. If he starts to wave his rack and swagger towards you you've got him, but he thinks you are another bull.

09-30-2008, 10:32 PM
I have never called one in. However, the father in law....he can call with just his voice. Sounds pretty convincing.....Every time I go looking for new toys I venture to the call section of the store. Then I remember how easy it appears to actually use your voice.

Sitkaspruce
10-01-2008, 09:18 AM
If you are looking for a bull in that time, mid to late Oct, use a cow call, as a bull grunt is much better in the early rut in Sept. I have called in both bulls and cows with a cow call as late as Jan. Little bulls will come to a cow call, but will back off, or come in very silent if you use a bull grunt. Check out some videos on cow calling, or cup your hand around your mouth, pinch your nose with your index fingers and make an sound like a sick domestic cow, except drop the m in mo0 and add a strong E......Eooooowwwwoooooooopfffffff, deep in your throat:eek:;):p. Change pitch and length, start longer and mix it to a shorter call when he gets close. Only call a couple of times in the first 30 seconds, then listen for a few minutes, then repeat the calls, mixing length and tone. Then sit for about 5 minutes, listening for grunts, always watching behind you for the sneaky one!!!

Cheers

SS

Mr. Dean
10-01-2008, 09:37 AM
MOOOOOOOOOOSE,,,, COOOOOOME HEEEEEERE.

Starting off low pitched, ending moderately higher.
As a person that hasn't hunted for Moose, that's my best. :smile:

Derp
10-01-2008, 01:39 PM
Check out this website: http://www.sherryfelix.com/Creatures/Moose/Moose.htm

it has some pretty neat mosse calls, and they aren't too tough to imitate using your voice!!

I can't wait to use these next weekend!!!!!!!!
here we go immy!

Rhys
10-01-2008, 09:29 PM
Got some weird looks from some kids at the bus stop tonight when I was walking home from work practicing my cow call hahaha!

Rhys

ThisIsLiving
10-02-2008, 09:32 PM
In my preference your vocals will do just as well as any store bought call.... can ect ect... my dad and i have been calling since i was a young kid..... id do the calf he would do the rest and we had no problem calling in pleanty of moose of the years .... just find some decent immitations on the net and in your spare time practice practice practice

chinook
10-03-2008, 08:16 PM
If your going to spend the money to go on a moose hunt, dont be cheap, drop the extra 15 or 20 bucks on a call you feel comfortable with. Do it once and do it right. Sort the cost out later, trust me, a nice bull is worth it!! I just came back from a moose hunt where we called in a pile of moose with a $12 moose call.....then I lost it in the woods. It was a good call and we were successful with it. Just dont over do the cow call. They're smarter than we give them credit for. I find they sniff out a fake cow faster than they do the fake bull.

Besides, at that time of the year, they might not be as responsive to your calls as you might hope. Keep trying though, they dont leave the planet, they just dont walk out into the open as much. Be patient and you'll get one.

kootenayelkslayer
10-03-2008, 08:20 PM
screw the can...use your voice...buddy of mine said he used to call for elk with his voice...you know who you are

Haha...That was pre-puberty Matt.

Rhys
10-05-2008, 11:47 PM
What call did you purchase?

Rhys

If your going to spend the money to go on a moose hunt, dont be cheap, drop the extra 15 or 20 bucks on a call you feel comfortable with. Do it once and do it right. Sort the cost out later, trust me, a nice bull is worth it!! I just came back from a moose hunt where we called in a pile of moose with a $12 moose call.....then I lost it in the woods. It was a good call and we were successful with it. Just dont over do the cow call. They're smarter than we give them credit for. I find they sniff out a fake cow faster than they do the fake bull.

Besides, at that time of the year, they might not be as responsive to your calls as you might hope. Keep trying though, they dont leave the planet, they just dont walk out into the open as much. Be patient and you'll get one.