PDA

View Full Version : Penticton area

tigger
09-30-2008, 12:19 AM
Hey all ,
Hoping someone can give a newbie some tips for the Penticton and surrounding area. Finished my core in the off season and am now heading up with my brother in-law who himself has been on a hunting hiatis for some time. I'm not terribly familiar with the area but I've got a 4x4 and the backroads book, so access shouldn't be a problem. Not opposed to hiking into some area's either. Anyway, I'm hoping we'll find some grouse and maybe phesant, but we're really aiming for deer. I inherrited my dad's old Husky 270 and would love to christin it.
We've got 3 full days Fri, Sat, Sun, so with any luck hopefully we'll see something. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys (and gals):smile:
d

sparkymacker
09-30-2008, 08:09 AM
I would suggest going up Carmi Road and taking some of the FSR's that branch off of it. There are mule deer as well as whitetail up there, they seem to be fairly abundant.

irishbandit1
09-30-2008, 08:30 AM
If your going up Carmi you might want to buy an elk tag:wink:Good luck,'Bandit.

JDR
09-30-2008, 09:10 PM
If you don't mind driving a little ways, try Olalla Creek FSR. Take your first right after the trailerpark in Olalla. Follow the main road until you hit the cut blocks (around 15 km's). Also check the open ridges to the west. There are several spurs and these all have newer cutblocks as well. I've seen lots of little bucks in there the last few years as well as some big ones :smile:. Leave early and try to be the first one in there before daybreak. Another place (that I am just learning and plan to spend more time) is Strayhorse Creek FSR. Take your first right after Nickel Plate Lake (near Apex) until you hit a Y in the road. If you go right you'll be on Strayhorse. You can also go left and follow it to the end where you will find some newer cut blocks and decent muley habitat. Good luck!

tigger
10-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Thanks guys, I'm pretty jazzed about this trip. I'll let you know how it goes, with any luck maybe I'll have some pics too :biggrin:
d

358mag
10-02-2008, 06:48 PM
jezz more hunters just what we need !!!

humble hunter
10-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Carmi road is where locals tell newbie's to go to waste their gas money untill they put the time in to find their own honey holes. Growing up at the base of Carmi, i might have some experience in it. Try behind summerland around munroe lakes or as the previous fella suggested ollala creek.

ElkMasterC
10-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Carmi road is where locals tell newbie's to go to waste their gas money untill they put the time in to find their own honey holes. Growing up at the base of Carmi, i might have some experience in it. Try behind summerland around munroe lakes or as the previous fella suggested ollala creek.

Nice.......C.H. will be thrilled you said that....niiiice.

We were up Ollala Cutblocks the other day.....saw 2 does and a Rocket Bear for a tank of diesel.
Spend your cash practicing shooting now, and hunt in Late Oct-early Nov.
Once again, just IMHO.

humble hunter
10-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Nice.......C.H. will be thrilled you said that....niiiice.

We were up Ollala Cutblocks the other day.....saw 2 does and a Rocket Bear for a tank of diesel.
Spend your cash practicing shooting now, and hunt in Late Oct-early Nov.
Once again, just IMHO.

What would happen if C.H. was actually smart enough to use a computer? We would all be in for it!

ElkMasterC
10-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Never happen.

tigger
10-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Thanks Humble Hunter,

The thought I was being directed "away"from any area worth trying wasn't lost on me, I've come accross fewer heaps of bs at a rodeo than I've gotten from fellow hunters!! ;) That said, I do appreciate the tips that do come in, just a matter of weeding through them.
So, I ended up putting in a few frustrating days in a few area's including OK falls and behind Summerland towards Princeton. Few Does but no bucks, not even a grouse. Saw a pretty young looking black bear shot and left in a ditch towards Princeton. I hope it was hit on the road or something and put down, I'd hate to think people have so little respect.
Anyway, we finished today up Carmi as it's close to home and we could be in it pretty quickly in the am. Managed to at least get some Grouse (6) and have a good drive around. I'm thinking there must be something up that way as there were a fair number of hunters. That and, oh yeah, the nice little 2 point in the back of my truck :lol:
Pricelss. Thanks for the tips guys!
My fist, pics to follow.
d

The 'Hummer'
10-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Somewhat of a side issue and not trying to steal the thread but is there any Varmint or Predator hunting of note in the area?

GoatGuy
10-05-2008, 08:52 PM

Too funny - the white-tails are like rats in that country and there are also some decent muleys to be found around carmi and the elk set up shop in a couple spots.

Really can't go wrong there.