PDA

View Full Version : Wild Hogs

TinMan
09-04-2005, 10:17 PM
Has anybody hunted wild hogs ? I wanna use my muzzleloader using 100 grns T7 and 240 grn XTP's. Were do I aim- behind the shoulder or on the shoulder. We found a group of wild hogs near our place.

What do they taste like? Any good recepies or suggestions on how to cook them up?

Amphibious
09-06-2005, 10:17 PM
some of my buddies from florida/texas hunt hogs, they use .44mag and .454 handguns and aim for the shoulders. from the sounds of it they taste like bear.

TOP_PREDATOR
09-11-2005, 12:51 AM
Hi,i do not know anything about muzzleoaders,with a rifle out to 150 yards i would go for a head shot hit them just below the ear or just in the chest/shoulder same place as a deer.12ga with slugs works very well,you should have no worries with a 240gr bullet how big are these pigs?

Seabass
10-13-2005, 08:37 AM
Pigs vitals are much more forward than a deer. Do not go for a behind the shoulder shot. Basically the heart and lungs are right between the shoulder/front legs and low. Shoot them in the shoulder to anchor them. Or you can shoot behind the ear/head shot. If you look up a pig/boar's anatomy on google or somthing you might find some pics showing you what I mean. Also use enough gun and a good bullet as they have a gristle plate on their shoulders that can turn away cheap, low quality bullets thus wounding a pig.. Which is when they get made. If I were you I'd use my marlin 45/70 guide gun (300gr nosler or banres or a 350gr/400gr bullet) and really put the hurt on those pigs. A lot of guys I know in the states who hunt hogs really reccomend this gun for them.

Good luck,

Seabass

BIGREDD
11-13-2005, 04:54 AM
240 grain XTP's are pistol bullets... and are rapid expanders... I don't reccomend using them on Russian Boars.
I have killed a few Boars with shotguns, rifles and bows and if I was to do it with a M/L I would use Magnum loads... three 50 grain pellets and a 300-350 grain bullet. The 348 grain Power Belt would be perfect... and they are much faster to reload.
Boar are very hard to anchor and while they are taking their time to die they can do a lot of damage to anything they can reach with their tusks.
Good luck.