PDA

View Full Version : German shorthairs

timberhunter
09-04-2005, 04:17 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows of a breader in the Nanaimo or Vancouver island area who breads this dog. I've had one before, and my Lab/shorthair is getting on, so I'll be looking for a pup.

Thanks
Marc S.

ruger#1
09-04-2005, 08:54 PM
timber to keep you thread going i do have two gsps , i will not have any other dog.they love the water. they also love birding. one of them has put about five bears up trees. very good dogs after they have passed two years of age.very easy to train. paid $350.00 and the other i picked up for free at one years of age, tail docked dew claws removed , and had some bird training in arizona, was a very spoiled dog, bought some shock collars and things changed to my advantage,

ruger#1
09-05-2005, 01:48 PM
english pointers are nice dogs to, i think my next dog is going to be a visala. read good things about these dogs. and they are small to, i have lots of books on hunting dogs.

harbinger
09-06-2005, 10:39 AM
vislas are nice dogs and so are the GSHPs. If you can't find a german short hair try finding a brittany spaniel. These dogs are super pets and very easy to train. They are also pointers and I have never seen a dog as birdy as ours!

timberhunter
09-07-2005, 06:47 AM
Brits are very nice indeed. I guess it all boils down to what comes along first. I lucked into the dog I have now, maybe it'll happen again. :)

But I mainly want a female GSP. for now, going to keep my hopes up one will come along.

Marc S.

Elkhound
09-07-2005, 12:16 PM
Timberhunter, I have a book with a list of breeders. In BC I can find 3 registered breeders.

1) Ardog Perm Reg'd , Brackendale 604 8982847

2) Janet Atkinson , Langley, 604 534 7454

3) Deltapoint Reg'd, Delta, 604 946 4518

And one in Alberta Navigator Reg'd, Calgary, 403 248 7412

Good luck in your search.

ruger#1
09-07-2005, 10:33 PM
timber i will keep my eyes open for you here in the valley, have seen a few. there are also some in the buy sell paper. mark

timberhunter
09-08-2005, 06:31 AM
thanks everyone

Noname
09-09-2005, 12:22 PM
I did the field trials down in the states for close to ten years. The #1 pick for pointers are the english pointers. Best nose out there and can hunt hard all day. If you get a good one zero training is needed just a little guidence. They are increbible to hunt over.

Tuffcity
09-09-2005, 01:14 PM
There is also a breeder near Victoria. Quality dogs (not cheap) but they only breed occaissionally. Their web site also has a "rescue" link. There is a 9 year old GSP looking for a home currently listed (Vancouver area)

http://www.hunterspridegsp.com/

RC

timberhunter
09-09-2005, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the site Tuff. Mostly american, but still lots to look at.

My pick of dog will be based on a few things.
1. I hate dogs with long tails, so a docked tail is a must
2. I've had really good luck with the shorthairs so far. 1 purebred and 1 lab/shorthair cross. Both have been excellent dogs.
3. I'm not into paperwork, paperwork to me doesn't mean didly if the dog won't hunt. http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif, so unpapered is better to me, I'm not into breeding my dogs anyways.
4. I'll be looking for a female GSP for sure.

One will come my way I'm sure, but I appreciate all of you guys on the site keeping your eyes open as well for me.

Thanks
Marc

ruger#1
09-09-2005, 07:04 PM
timber this is what i found, purebred german shorthaired pointers tails docked, first shots and dewormed, pups, $500.00 1-780-723-4058, found in the buy and sell. i also know what you meen about there tails ,i have one with its tail not docked and it sure hurts when your whipped with it. mark there are some pics of my dogs in my gallery.

ruger#1
09-11-2005, 08:31 AM
took dogs out today, no rain no grouse no bear and no deer, maybe tuesday after work ill go again.

timberhunter
09-11-2005, 09:33 AM
I was out yesterday, but I left the old fella at home, because we were looking for the springs to be in the river. Saw 2 bears and my buddy bumped up 5 grouse. Soon as the weather turns a bit we'll be looking for the grouse a bit more, and he'll be riding shotgun in the pickup again. :)

ivo
10-01-2005, 10:57 AM
I used to have a Viszla and would never own a different breed.Only 2 breeds of dogs won the NAVHDA tripple crown before, the first was a Brittney Spaniel and the second was Hungarian Viszla.

They have amazing hunting instincts, are easily trainable and very loyal pets. The only disadvantage they have is their size. This factor is a problem in very tall grass and over the course of a day the dogs get tired more quickly.

This asside, there isn't a better all-around hunting dog.

Broncomarco
11-17-2005, 06:23 PM
I have two gsp's of my own. Mother and son. They are great dogs and I wouldn't want any other breed. I have met with Janet Atkinson a few times. She is a awesome breeder. Her dogs are always fantastic, and one of her bitches is the most award winning dog in Canada's history of showing. She can be hard to take some people say, but I've never had a problem. My girlfriend works at the vet that Janet goes too. My girlfriend say her pups a top notch health wise. Good luck!

Ddog
11-17-2005, 06:59 PM
i have personally seen Janet Atkinsons dogs and boy oh boy are they beautiful dogs,champion stock only..very expensive...i remember they were somewhere around the $3000 mark, and there was a waiting list..

SKEETER
10-25-2009, 12:58 PM
I Have Two Male Puppies Left.they Are 8 Weeks Old.we Have Both Parents.

dutchie
11-05-2009, 12:45 AM
WOW!!!

5 years later and the tread comes back from the dead!!

john-brennan
11-28-2009, 08:11 AM
I did the field trials down in the states for close to ten years. The #1 pick for pointers are the english pointers. Best nose out there and can hunt hard all day. If you get a good one zero training is needed just a little guidence. They are increbible to hunt over.

X2 My english pointer just passed away and what you said in your post is 100% true they are all day hard hunters and all she needed was time hunting to be the best bird dog I have ever hunted behind in the field. Also they have the best temperment I have ever seen in a hunting dog, I miss her dearly. I know there are many other great bird dogs but that is my exsperience with the 5 or so breeds I have hunted behind.

smeegle
11-29-2009, 12:37 AM
theres a small time breeder in cambell river by the name of laura stillin...i have the luck of having one of her pups and hes an awesome dog. her website is seadrift gsp. She is a very smalltime breeder but a super nice person and very knowledgeable so if you have any questions i would advise you contact her.