PDA

View Full Version : princeton hunting where to go?

lloydster
09-29-2008, 03:59 AM
looking to cover some new area for elk/moose whiteys/mulies. heard whipsaw was ok. can i pull a 26' trailer in there to camp? and if so what mile marker/ what is the road like? any input is welcomed! this hunt is geared towards elk/moose or anything else more than 4 (unless we get an itchy trigger finger). any chickens up there?

. where can one hang an animal if it is too hot?

One Shot
09-29-2008, 05:20 AM
Went nearly to the end of Whipsaw a few weeks ago. I saw no deer and very little sign. No sign of moose or elk. I saw two chickens though. I did see how ever a 5-6' black bear hitailing it back into some heavy cover not to be seen again. Counted seven trucks/camps in there with no meat hanging. Heard tell that there is not much in there due to hunting and logging.

4pntsorbetter
09-29-2008, 03:03 PM
I hunt princeton every year, and I dont generally like to recommend the whipsaw unless you like seeing more trucks than animals. Check out China Creek area, or out towards Tulameen. And if you find out about a local place to hang meat let me know. Good luck I'm there starting Friday for 10 days

NEEHAMA
09-29-2008, 05:08 PM
ya it's hard to find a parking spot up there at times. lot's of trucks.

lot's of other nice areas, coalmont, tulameen, headley, copper mtn, just cover ground and scout.

MichelD
09-29-2008, 05:24 PM
Whipsaw is very popular secret with the backcountry 4x4 enthusiasts as well.

Look at this: 3077 different entries between February 27 and September 26 this year.

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?t=125091&page=206

sparkes3
09-29-2008, 06:54 PM
the good old whip saw highway.not for me went there once for animals seen lots of does but more trucks bikes cars than anything else.were headin up to some good areas near princeton friday night or saturday morning

sparkes3
09-29-2008, 07:00 PM
i hung my deer right off the back steps of the coalmont hotel. might see you guys up there

lloydster
09-29-2008, 07:56 PM
is it really that bad up there? what about other areas there for elk? surely ther is more than just 1 6 point bull! i know very little of the area and would like learn more of the area. i have hunted in high traffic regions before. prepared to do some walking as well

born2hunt
09-29-2008, 07:56 PM
i like the coalmont area myself

lloydster
09-29-2008, 08:04 PM
where abouts is coalmont. i've heard of it.

sparkes3
09-30-2008, 09:01 PM
2 ways in .go to princeton. turn left at the gas station on the left side of the highway or you can go up the coquihalla take the first exit after the toll booth and go across to tulameen then out the road about 5 minutes to coalmont.but you should grab a backroads mapbook for the area they have a lot of info for any given area. good place to start

09-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Osprey Lake area is generally good for deer, some bear and the odd moose.

swampdonkey
10-01-2008, 08:13 AM
TRY THE PIKE MTN AREA GO IN FROM THE A-P RANCH:razz:

papaken
10-01-2008, 09:41 AM
Just returned from Princeton last night. Temperatures in the mid twenties even up high. Saw lots of does, 2 two points and a spike. Great weather for "hiking with guns" but to warm for actual hunting. Did a 6K walk yesterday morning lots of sign but nothing to shoot at.
papaken

Mr. Dean
10-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Didn't take one of the 2's or the spike?

Mr. Dean
10-01-2008, 09:50 AM
Didn't take one of the 2's or the spike?

:oops:
My bad... I see it's trophy season. Ya shoulda been there today!

lloydster
10-03-2008, 07:02 AM
looks like we're going this sun to next sun. try to brave the crowds. how many km up till i should park the trailer? hopefully we get a decent spot with someone leaving.never tried the area and my buddies want to go there. wish me luck! any more input you have would be appreciated!

swampdonkey
10-03-2008, 08:06 AM
were r u going exactly

papaken
10-03-2008, 10:52 AM
No Mr. Dean I did'nt take one, as you noticed 4 point only for muleys. Maybe next week if I can get the time to go back up. Saw a couple of whitetail does but "no horns" on the whites. Hopefully the weather will change up a bit, for everyones sake. lloydster good luck, over the years I have taken moose, muleys, and bear out of Whipsaw. Good binoculars and walking alot has always worked for me. Have introduced a few friends and grandsons to their first deer up that way. Just remember if hiking within sight of the roads wear some blaze orange (touque, hat or vest) as there is usually alot of traffic and you want to be recognized as people not critters.
Shoot Safe, Have Fun. papaken

lloydster
10-04-2008, 09:55 AM
going up whipsaw dont know exactly where to park trailer. never been there but buddy says 10-11 km and others say 19-22km. assuming further in would be less people. 7 days total. how much beer should i bring?

lloydster
10-13-2008, 09:37 AM
back from the saw.buddies each got a 2 pt ipassed on 2 spikes and the 2 pt in camp. couple of moose spotted. overall not too impressed with the amount of animals seen for 7 days! cruised garr/3 bros. walked/sat. did get my first 2 blues though. that was cool. gorgeous country should havv been animals everywhere. confused about reg 2 boundary over copper creek though. posted as 8-05? book says 2-1.wtf?

Blainer
10-13-2008, 10:29 AM
back from the saw.buddies each got a 2 pt ipassed on 2 spikes and the 2 pt in camp. couple of moose spotted. overall not too impressed with the amount of animals seen for 7 days! cruised garr/3 bros. walked/sat. did get my first 2 blues though. that was cool. gorgeous country should havv been animals everywhere. confused about reg 2 boundary over copper creek though. posted as 8-05? book says 2-1.wtf?How many hunters did you see?I believe there is no region 2 after Manning park.

born2hunt
10-13-2008, 10:42 AM
coalmont is about 30 min drive from princeton towards tulameen go behind the hotel and then go left up in behind the whipsaw lotsa area and some nice bucks

lloydster
10-13-2008, 12:00 PM
according to backwoods map reg 2 comes in up there@whipsaw/garrison as copper creek as the boundary. you get to copper creek across bridge and posted as 8-5 why? reg 2-1 has no listed season in the regs. cause its park?

lloydster
10-13-2008, 12:02 PM
anyways regardless its a beautiful area dont understand why no bigger bucks. maybe they migrate into the area later? not a trophy hunter just want something bigger than a 2 pt.

hunter1947
10-13-2008, 12:14 PM
KL 14 is where i would take my trailer up the wipsaw ,turn left just past the 14kl mark and camp there on the spur road ,I got a dandy 5x5 above that spur about 5 years ago.

lloydster
10-13-2008, 02:32 PM
funny we were at 15.5 your spot was taken. think the area may be noit living up to previous years hipe? too over hunted maybe or just better techniques? have you seen decent deer there within the previous 5 years?

bowx4
11-14-2012, 10:42 PM
hunting b.c. great site,small problem though,i have bow hunted princeton and surrounding areas for years and used to see many large bucks...where have they gone........to many seasons open there,i have young boys but this youth season has decimated the gene pool,plus everyone and there dog asks on here and to many people say yes great area,how did we find out?, by trial and error..think about the areas you like to hunt before giving out tooo much info people,you may not have the area you love still there............

Phreddy
11-15-2012, 10:55 AM
I've watched the area go from a prime honey hole to a gong show over the years and, allthough I live in the area I take my hunting business elsewhere. I still carry my rifle with me when cutting firewood, but never have any great expectations anymore.

Getbent
11-15-2012, 01:52 PM
four year old thread?
nice dig...

But very true, use to love to hunt that area...just pressure...as Bigboar said on another thread, areas close to 50,000 hunters...

Sofa King
11-15-2012, 01:58 PM
TRY THE PIKE MTN AREA GO IN FROM THE A-P RANCH:razz:

has it rebounded?
stopped even going up that road years ago.
the indians wiped that herd right out one year.

Luongo64
10-30-2015, 06:53 PM
Just spent the last few days all around Princeton. Only deer we saw were does in the town. Cpl chickens though

itsy bitsy xj
10-30-2015, 07:40 PM
I was up there last week (china creek rd) I saw a small heard of does on the way in. then I saw 6 does the first day and maybe the tail of a buck running off and one bird. I then spent half a day on Copper Mnt and spoked one buck that was with a couple of does then later saw two more does and 3 birds