PDA

View Full Version : back from elk hunt

trigger
09-28-2008, 05:40 PM
Wow did that ever go by fast.

A buddy and i packed up and headed to the kootneys for elk on the 19th. We went to a new spot that i had some pointers on.

My causin lent me a travel trailer so that was excellent since we had a few days of rain.

The first couple days were excellent hunts i thought it was going to be a cake walk. Went out the first evening and did some glassing. just befor dark i let out a few chirps and had a 4 by 4 come running out of the timber some 500 yards away. he put on quite a show.

The next day found us walking into a burn and i started with some calf chirps and the moved into some more estrous sounding cow mews. The hills came alive. we had three for sure, maybe 4 bulls screaming back at us but nothing seemed to want to come in. so i decided to start walking away leaving my buddy hopefully pulling a bull out. i got about 500 yards away from him when i looked up and out in the open a monster 7 by 6 stood out like a sore thumb. He wasnt spooked at all.

well

why didnt i shoot him. i was carrying my open sight 30 30 and he was about 250 yards away. i was standing free hand and it was raining. i opted to not take the shot. it was hard, but much better than trying to track down a wounded bull in the rain. instead i snuckback to get cecil and by the time we came back he was gone. we did see a three by and another bull moving in the timber about 300 yards up which might have been him but the fog moved in and we called it a day.

the rest of the trip had us seing only cows, spikes and 5 points. yes we hung our heads in shame and came home, but not befor visiting wayne and andy in our other spot. They have been into several elk. that all im going to say. they will fill you in when they get back. so here is a video i made. i will post more as well enjoy

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e368/trigger22/?action=view&current=ELKTAGSOUPemail.flv

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e368/trigger22/?action=view&current=100_1290.flv

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e368/trigger22/?action=view&current=100_1289.flv

mcrae
09-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Just curious was your 30/30 your primary gun or your back up? Sounds like you has a good trip regardless. Good on you for passing the shot shows real sportsmanship and ethics but man I bet you wish you had something else in your hands LOL...

BIGHUNTERFISH
09-28-2008, 05:50 PM
I am glad you had agreat trip,but why on earth would you go elk hunting with a open sighted 30/30?

troutseeker
09-28-2008, 06:13 PM
30/30 is a good Elk caliber, too bad the bugger was not closer. Sounds like a nice trip nonetheless

steepNdeep
09-28-2008, 06:26 PM
Right on - sounds like a good trip! A 30-30 could have killed all my bulls - longest was ~100 yards...but Murphy likes to mess with things. ;) It wasn't your day to shoot one but there will be many more...

mark
09-28-2008, 06:36 PM
Sounds like a good trip, the best elk hunt experiences are with the bulls ya dont shoot!

Brambles
09-28-2008, 07:31 PM
Being undergunned sucks,

kennyj
09-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Awesome video! Really enjoyed it.
kenny

Chuck
09-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Nothing wrong with that at all and everyone enjoyed himself. Except for the no kill, that's an excellent outing and you've got the video too.

Robinhood
09-28-2008, 08:50 PM
Trigger, thanks for sharing the story and especially the video - it was beautiful. Looks like you guys had a thoroughly enjoyable trip.

44inchStone
09-28-2008, 09:01 PM
Elk or no elk. Sounds like you had one hell of a hunt. I'm sure next year you may re think your weapon of choice. Either way great hunt and keep up the outstanding videos.

In4TheHunt
09-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Nice vid thankx

trigger
09-29-2008, 04:45 PM
hey guys, thanks for the replies. Yeah the 30 30 i know i know. I brought my remington 30-06 on the trip but i left it in camp because i wasnt planning on killing the first elk. My buddy cecil has been on three elk hunts with me now and he still hasnt killed one. so i was carrying it more or less if we were to get into the timber and going to be taking close shots. the open sights are nicer when you have to make a quick shot. either way, trust me, im kicking my self in the butt. oh well thats why its called HUNTING right

Caveman
09-29-2008, 08:39 PM
With a back drop like that, even elk tag soup would taste good!! Great Video! Well Done guys! ;)

trigger
10-01-2008, 05:30 PM
here is another clip. if this is the morning i messed up on the seven by 6. its to bad we didnt get the camera out when we had all three bulls going

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e368/trigger22/?action=view&current=100_1289.flv

hunter1947
10-11-2008, 09:12 AM
Hey Scott the filming was great footage ,I love the filming ,great job.

To bad you did not connect when you where in our camp for the day.

I understand that you did get into a few bulls the last night there.

trigger
10-11-2008, 10:15 AM
yeah wayne, we did get into a few elk. I thought that we were going to connect that night but only a spike and a three point and two cows. oh well thats the way she goes. i found a few things out about that spot that i never new befor. i will have to share with you.