PDA

View Full Version : Bullwinkle down

irishbandit1
09-28-2008, 09:03 AM
I went out with my hunting partner on Friday night for a quick overnight hunt in the local hills.That evening we glassed ridgelines and worked the elk calls to no avail.End of day 1 we only saw a hand few of deer and no shooter's.Day 2,the elk still aren't co-operating so I had changed the area I was hunting for an area of more moose like terrain.This morning I spent still hunting the woods and came across three moose,2 whitetail doe,7 mulie doe and a big mulie buck that I put a stalk on.Unfortunatly it turns out to be only a very large 3 point,non the less great challenge to get close.I have now decided to head back to camp to meet my partner at the allotted time.Driving back down I was trying to formulate a plan for the afternoon hunt. My wife had informed the day before I had to be home by 6 P.M. for a dinner party she was throwing at the house, so I had no time to waste.Well it so happens that on the way back to our camp,what do I see coming down the bank? "BULLWINKLE" I almost can't believe it,there in front of me is the elusive 2 point moose.The only shot I was offered was a quartering away shot at about 125 yards.I pulled my rem 700 300win mag tight into my shoulder and put two quick rounds into it.No bang flop this time as I watch him go over the bank.It's agonizing waiting my self imposed 20 min wait after I shoot,as I am going nuts I am so excited.Even at 40 yrs of age and many years of hunting I still get as excited as when my Father first started taking me out as a very young boy.Now it's time,I ease over the edge of the bankand get my first visual of the tangled vegetation and steep grade of the hill.After about 20min I find my prize,with 2 shots into the lungs he wasn't going far.Now it's back to camp,I pick up my partner and his quad and head back.We end up having to do some bushwacking with the chainsaw,use his winch and some additional rope but finally recover the animal.Last year this same hunting patner and I went off a cliff and nearly died on a moose hunting trip so to say this was a much more successful hunt is an understatement.Almost a year and still recovering from the accident,cheating death and hunting with a friend that is like a brother 'Priceless' Pics to come when I figure out how to post.Cheers 'Bandit.

6 K
09-28-2008, 09:25 AM
Congrats looking forward to the pics.
Glad go made it out o.k. last year

abbyfireguy
09-28-2008, 10:41 AM
Very glad for you that you made it out and home safe.
It really sucks to have accidents happen on hunting trips.
We've been fairly unscathed over the years ..Just a few dings and a few homemade stitches(crap did they hurt without freezing:sad:), but it was two hours out to a hospital...:shock:

#1fishslayer
09-28-2008, 10:45 AM
good work sir

winbuckhunter
09-28-2008, 08:02 PM
Aright, Wheres The Squirel????????

winbuckhunter
09-28-2008, 08:03 PM
natasha, pass me da killink device..

irishbandit1
09-28-2008, 08:07 PM
picture exceeds file limit any help out there?

Steeleco
09-28-2008, 08:13 PM
Here you go,
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/0111.JPG
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/009.JPG
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/0051.JPG

Looks like Bullwinkle's had a few LOL!!!

irishbandit1
09-28-2008, 09:48 PM
Thanks Steely,since the hunt was over we did indulge in a few cold one's after the work-out getting it gutted and loaded:mrgreen:.We also were on a mission picking up cans and garbage from a#*holes using the bush as their private dump:evil:We ended up being able to load the moose whole as an old friend and his nephew happened to be in the same area that day.Cheers Steve.

Steeleco
09-28-2008, 10:03 PM
Your welcome irishbandit, Congrats!!

No need to apologize, good on you for cleaning up after the other slobs!! Sometimes I swear I could pay for the gas with empties!!

porcupine
09-28-2008, 10:42 PM
Congratulations on a very tender animal.
________
Honda CRF230 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_CRF230)

srupp
09-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Great job cleaning up after the pigs...and congradulations on the moose...

steven:lol:

1/2 slam
09-29-2008, 01:10 AM
What srupp said x 2. Well done

scoot
09-29-2008, 07:46 AM
Holy man did I have a good laugh when I seen the picture in the back of the truck. Congrats on the bull and thanks for the story.

09-29-2008, 09:59 AM
Some prime steaks and roasts there, good job.

BiG Boar
09-29-2008, 10:39 AM
sweet man, pretty awsome! good work!